Come on back to the caboose and get a cup of coffee [or sweet ice tea] Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chief Eagles

Sep 30, 2005
Rolesville NC [just north of Raleigh]
Morning. Where the heck is everyone????? Turned cold here. Yanks left the door open again. wall1:curse: Ordered three Curise Commander Combos [includes sound] to upgrade some of my favorite engines. Got a County meeting at lunch [free lunch :thumb:]. Hope to get some train time in before going. Later.

Nov 17, 2007
Columbia, S.C.
Morning all . Not to much happening here . Guy quit/fired last night at work so my schedule has been changed for a while anyway. Looks like I'll be closing so I'll be working from noon to 9 with a lunch about 2 I hate that shift mainly because I have to take lunch 2 hours after getting there as after 3 there isn't any body left in the back to work.

Oh well might as well get use to it as doubt they will hire anybody to take his place.

you all have a good day talk to you all later

Brutus

Nov 8, 2007
RT - that is a shame, I hope you are getting some extra $$$ anyway. Son is still sick, so I took off today - that will give him another couple days at home to get well. Maybe get to LHS later and pick up new catalogs? Anyway, ttfn

cnw1995

Oct 1, 2005
Crystal Lake, IL
condor.depaul.edu
Morning all. Wore the wrong shoes to slog to work in this morning. Rats. Nothing like having to wear wet broggins for a whole day. I know, it's just a minor annoyance. Brutus, just like the library! I'll email you. Tom, I'm sorry about your friend. Hang in there, RT - hopefully with your seniority, someone else will evenutually get the lateness. I hated to close.

sir james

Dec 22, 2007
mich
Good morning,,,Another morning with lite snow,it's that kind of winter. Just enough to coat the pavement and make a mess. My wife went to babysit for a sick grandson so I guess I get a free pass today. Later,,,,Sir James

jeffrey-wimberl

Oct 25, 2006
Sundown, Louisiana, USA
Good morning.

It's 39 and clear. Expecting a high of 68.

Today's Weather for:
Sundown, LA 71446-6114 2/8/2008

Wind Chill: 37°F
Humidity: 66%
Dew Point: 29°F

So Far Today
High: 45°F
Low: 35°F
Rain: 0.00"
Rain Rate: 0.00"/h
Gust: 6mph NNE

Today High: 68 Sunny. Highs in the upper 60s. South winds around 10 mph.

Tonight Low: 42 Partly cloudy. Lows in the lower 40s. Light and variable winds.

Been doing some work on the layout. Here's some progress shots.

P1010001-42.jpg

P1010003-32.jpg

P1010004-26.jpg

P1010005-20.jpg

And a couple of night shots.

P1010009-10.jpg

P1010012-7.jpg

Brutus

Nov 8, 2007
Good work, Jeff! I wonder where Spankybird is posting now - apparently every time I join a forum, he moves along. Is it my breath?

sir james

Dec 22, 2007
mich
Jeff good nite shoots. The lite shines through the windows and doors, Not through the walls. I don't like to see it in train cars either.

dbaker48

Jul 4, 2006
Cerritos, Ca.
Good morning !

All the shootings all over the country !! We had ours too, yesterday guy killed 3 people in family then called 911. SWAT came, 1 officer killed, another wound. Burned the guy out, he died as well.
Glad the carpet issues worked out, that can be a real pain!!

FINALLY, got my power wiring done! Next will be the switches. Below a couple of pictures below the layout.

The white background behind the terminal strips, is a wire list identify where the wires go. If you look close right in the center at the bottom of the middle AIU, is a wire hanging. That wire comes from behind the panel and goes to the TMCC Command Control. I unplugged it from the TIU on the right side, to accomodate access. Well you guessed it, when I finished I forgot to plug that wire back in. I had Drag Races going on when I powered up the layout. The good news is, that was the ONLY wiring issue. EVERYTHING worked great the first time, Unbelievable.

The next picture looks like a mess, but I have my control panel, and all my transformers mounted in a printer cart. (Which is really working well, with the pullout drawers, and can pull the whole thing out from under the layout. These cables are umbilical cables to accomodate movement. The reason there are so many is that also included on the cart is a VCR, Xbox, Xfmrs for the elevated G scale. The yellow is a power cable that goes to 2 emergency shut off switches, one at each end of the layout.

Hope we ALL have a safe, and quiet weekend. Today should be a great day, suppose to get up to 75 today!!

Later, Don

wrmcclellan

Oct 1, 2005
North Texas
Morning all!

Sunny and cool here. Maybe 60 something today.

Supposed to be high 60's all weekend :thumb:

Chief - too many free lunches and dinners for hiz honor :razz:

Jim - just what did you do to Spanky anyway :confused:

Jeffrey - looks like you are having some good fun there! Nice work!

Don - nice job on the wiring. You should invite your neighbors over to see the good use you put their copper to ;-)

Hope everyone has a great day today!
Roy

ozzy

Jun 24, 2006
milton iowa
Good morning !

All the shootings all over the country !! We had ours too, yesterday guy killed 3 people in family then called 911. SWAT came, 1 officer killed, another wound. Burned the guy out, he died as well.
Glad the carpet issues worked out, that can be a real pain!!

FINALLY, got my power wiring done! Next will be the switches. Below a couple of pictures below the layout.

The white background behind the terminal strips, is a wire list identify where the wires go. If you look close right in the center at the bottom of the middle AIU, is a wire hanging. That wire comes from behind the panel and goes to the TMCC Command Control. I unplugged it from the TIU on the right side, to accomodate access. Well you guessed it, when I finished I forgot to plug that wire back in. I had Drag Races going on when I powered up the layout. The good news is, that was the ONLY wiring issue. EVERYTHING worked great the first time, Unbelievable.

The next picture looks like a mess, but I have my control panel, and all my transformers mounted in a printer cart. (Which is really working well, with the pullout drawers, and can pull the whole thing out from under the layout. These cables are umbilical cables to accomodate movement. The reason there are so many is that also included on the cart is a VCR, Xbox, Xfmrs for the elevated G scale. The yellow is a power cable that goes to 2 emergency shut off switches, one at each end of the layout.

Hope we ALL have a safe, and quiet weekend. Today should be a great day, suppose to get up to 75 today!!

Later, Don

things like this scare the h*ll out of me,,,, i think when i get DCS i will just stick to only controlling the trains. and not accessories.

CSXect

Dec 31, 2007
I did notice a lot of 2 rail and even some On30 in them as well:cool:

I printed off an article on how to scratch build a pickel vat car looked cool will add it to a list of projects to attempt to build.:mrgreen:

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Oct 15, 2002
Drexel Hill, PA
www.trainweb.org
Good morning folks

It was 39 F as I headed out the door. Our high will be 48 F. The cold weather is expected to come back by Sunday night as we will be in the teens by then.

No modeling last night. My daughter had girl scouts and we had some errands to run.

This weekend is the dreaded grocery shopping. We also have a basketball practice and three games scheduled. On Sunday is Scout Sunday and our pack has been invited to church services at the church that sponsors us.

I would like to finish weathering the 5 blue box TOFCs, 2 RTR TOFCs, and three other flat cars.

I hope everybody has a good day.

Brutus

Nov 8, 2007
Roy - dunno, I just noticed he's not posting lately? Maybe he's busy or something? I really like his layout a lot, too. Frank53 apparently made it a New Years resolution not to post on forums or something from what I read.

Went up to Hobbytown - they have some cool looking slot car sets for sale on closeout, but just got the Lionel catalog. No K-line one, though. There are a lot of things that are showing up on the Lionel product list that are not in the catalog, including a Witches Brew (Operating Milk Can) car and a Bobbing Ghost Car, a Halloween Trolley car, and some other stuff too? Maybe they are saving those for the Fall catalog?

Thanks for that link, looks great!

Jonadel

Nov 16, 2007
Iowa
Ozzy--
Do not be afraid of wiring, it's not that difficult. I've had DCS since it came out and I found it easy and straight forward to install, seriously. I did buy the AIU and it still sits in the box :mrgreen:. I have all of my switches and accessories wired to the sides and I don't mind throwing the switch lever by hand or pushing the button to make a certain accessory work. Maybe on the next build I'll do it differently with the AIU or maybe not sign1

If you take your time wiring it's a piece of cake.

Jon

cnw1995

Oct 1, 2005
Crystal Lake, IL
condor.depaul.edu
Afternoon all. Just back from Fields uh Macys. One of the advantages of being in downtown Chicago is I get to take care of all my 'shopping' in one swoop. Dinner reservations for Thur: Check. Card for Thur: Check. Giftie-thing for Thur: Check.:thumb:

dwiemer

Jul 10, 2006
Southwest GA
Good Afternoon Y'all!
Here I am, still on call. I have picked up a few O Scale magazines over the last few years. I was turned off by some of the feedback sections when they had a layout with 3 rails....some guys were in such an uproar that they terminated their subscriptions. Nothing like trying to learn from other scale folks. I can't number the things I have picked up from Model Railroader, even if it does focus on the little guys.
Got Direct TV coming out tomorrow to install the new HDwith DVR, etc. Get our theater system looking it's best. The thing I am mostly looking forward to is being able to tape train shows, even when cartoons are on.
I have Valentine's Day covered, got flowers ordered, candy purchased, and reservations to take family to Atlanta next weekend. Who knows, she may even let me go to a train store or two! Chief, remember to get Pam something nice to surprise her on the Cruise! Maybe a nice Legacy engine.
Don, great work on the wiring. As Roy says, take your time and do it right. I have been REALLY taking my time! I have to get the control board mounted for the circuit breakers, power strips, TPC400s, etc. Then I will build a cabinet that turns to house the transformers. I will have the switch controllers along the top, to give me the feel of working a tower.
I do hope that some of the folks who we have not seen lately do come back. I have gained a lot of knowledge from some of them and always enjoy their friendship.
May you all have a great weekend.
God Bless,
Dennis

Status
Not open for further replies.