Come on back to the caboose and get a cup of coffee [or sweet ice tea] Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chief Eagles

Afternoon all. Busy day. Got to Miss Edna's and then back to fix roller bag [should have done earlier]. Seems US Airways breaks off the "bottom stop" that makes the bag sit up right. Well, I made one out of treated wood [hard] painted black, 4 hardened bolts through the wood into the bottom of the bag with aluminum plate inside behind the liner. Then put flat washers and lock washers with locking nuts. They break this one off, they will be buying me a bag [they've done before] as it will take the bottom out. Got another smaller one to do later. They sent me an email and said take it to the airport and they would replace. Well, they keep doing that and I didn't want to drive to the airport and back for that. Ran trains some. Got out the Post War Berk and the F3's [MTH PS2]. Pulled a set of MTH Santa Fe passenger cars I have had for over a year now [been stored]. Did good. Actually Post Wars run better now I have the Soundstop down [does cut down on noise] as all of the track is level. You can crawl them around the track with no slowing down in spots due to unlevel track. Runs great with TPC and Cab1. Got to pack. Also book a flight for middle of Oct to Baton Rogue [Jeffrey, you live near there? Doing the Cabela's Grand Opening 18 -21]. Later

Some photos of today.

47b7d703b3127ccebc04fc44b1c500000026108AasnLhm4bNe

47b7d703b3127ccebc04ff17f10f00000026108AasnLhm4bNe

47b7d703b3127ccebc04fe96302600000026108AasnLhm4bNe

47b7d703b3127ccebc04ff16703e00000026108AasnLhm4bNe

47b7d703b3127ccebc04ff11f10900000026108AasnLhm4bNe

First time these passenger cars have been run on this layout. Been in storage.

jeffrey-wimberl

Good morning.

Through 6 AM...a few showers occurring in southwest Louisiana over Cameron Parish from near Cameron to north of Johnson bayou will move north 10 mph. The showers could move into southwestern Calcasieu Parish by 6 AM. Over the coastal waters...widely scattered showers will move northwest 10 knots over the area along and southeast of a line from east cote blanch bay to 60 nautical miles south of White Lake Louisiana.

Today's Weather for:
Sundown, LA 71446-6114 9/23/2007

Heat Index: 78°F
Humidity: 95%
Dew Point: 72°F

So Far Today
High: 73°F
Low: 73°F
Rain: 0.01"
Rain Rate: 0.00"/h
Gust: 3mph SSW

Today High: 88 Partly sunny with a 30 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Highs in the upper 80s. Light and variable winds.

Tonight Low: 72 Partly cloudy with a 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Lows in the lower 70s. Light and variable winds.

P9180008.jpg

Chief Eagles

Seen a lot of those UP engines this afternoon [I'm actually north of Ft. Worth at Hasslet and near Roanoke. Been over to the speedway and rode through the country around the interstate. Lots of UP yards and etc here. Nothing to do until 10 AM tomorrow. Got BIG seats on return flight to Charlotte and then RDU. Love that. Later

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Good morning folks

It is a cool 60 F this morning. Our high is supposed to be around 82 F. We had some rain on Saturday but not enough to soften the ground. By Sunday the ground was again like concrete. We need one of those soaking day long rains.

I am not in the office today. I have a meeting this morning and then this afternoon I have a field view of a flood damaged road. I will be on the road most of the day.

We did the usual shopping over the weekend. My son’s football team got crushed 26-0. They lost to the best JV team in the league. They were outgunned big time. The defense played well after the “slackers” were taken out. The team is still having problems with a couple of kids who are not paying attention or following instructions. Yesterday it hurt big time as the kids not doing what they were told cost three touchdowns.

No modeling on the layout or workbench. I did make 45 trees for my wife’s diorama. While I am on the road today I hope to stop at a hobby shop and pick up some more armatures.

I hope everybody has a good day.

jeffrey-wimberl

Good morning.

Through 9 AM...scattered showers and a few thunderstorms will continue over the eastern half of the area generally east of a line from Simpson in central Louisiana to Lake Charles and Grand Chenier extending out over the gulf beyond 60 nm out from Grand Chenier. Movement will be north at 15 mph. Heaviest rains will be from Pitkin to lacamp where rainfall rates up to an inch an hour can be expected. Visibilities less than 1 mile can be expected in heavier downpours 40 to 60 nm out from White Lake.

Today's Weather for:
Sundown, LA 71446-6114 9/24/2007

Heat Index: 80°F
Humidity: 94%
Dew Point: 73°F

So Far Today
High: 75°F
Rain: 0.00"
Gust: 8mph ESE

Today High: 85 Mostly cloudy with showers and thunderstorms likely. Highs in the mid 80s. East winds around 10 mph. Chance of precipitation 60 percent.

Tonight Low: 72 Cloudy with a 50 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Lows in the lower 70s. Light and variable winds.

Imag0009.jpg

Chief Eagles

Fresh coffee. Up earlier than planned. Cargo jets taking off from Alliance made me think tornado was comming. No wonder nice ranch style houses are abandoned right under flight path. OH well, will go to airport earlier than planned. Got BIG seats home. Later

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Good morning folks

Could Fall be in the air? The temperatures have been cool in the morning like this morning as it was 64 F. The humidity, however, has been up and down. Some days feel fallish others feel like the middle of summer. Today is one of the summer-like days with a high of 87 F and close to 100% humidity.

I worked on trying to blend the base of one of the barns into the layout. I used some lightweight spackle that I have used in the past. I am not thrilled with the results last night. I will let it sit for a day and see how it looks tonight. The tree building marathon continues as we built another 15 and I sealed 25. All toll we have 60 trees for the museum diorama.

jeffrey-wimberl

Good morning.

Today's Weather for:
Leesville, LA 71446-6114 9/25/2007

Heat Index: 80°F
Humidity: 89%
Dew Point: 72°F

So Far Today
High: 75°F
Rain: 0.00"
Gust: 6mph ESE

Tuesday High: 85 Mostly cloudy with showers and thunderstorms likely. Highs in the mid 80s. Light and variable winds. Chance of precipitation 60 percent.

Tuesday Night Low: 68 Mostly cloudy with a 50 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Lows in the upper 60s. Light and variable winds.

P9180009.jpg

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Good morning folks

Hot and humid again. It was 70 F as I headed out this morning. The high today is supposed to be 88 F. It feels like mid August not late September.

No modeling last night. I am waiting for the spackling I placed around the small barn’s base to dry so I can sand and paint it. I did seal the last batch of trees for my wife’s diorama. We start planting tomorrow night. I doubt we will get to it tonight since we have a Cub Scout Pack Meeting and Recruitment Night that will keep us busy this evening.

Chief Eagles

Morning all. Tom, you stay busier than I do. Had meeting with School Board last night after getting off of plane from Dallas. Trying to regroup this AM. Then got to do reports and unpack. Have a good one.

Bob Collins

47 degrees here this morning with a predicted high of 75. The cool days are beginning to outnumber the hot ones :eek: Lots of leave on the ground already:cry: I had a 7:00 a.m. Rotary club meeting this morning and all the cars that were left outside last night had water vapor on the windows. Some folks won't take the time to clean them off and it is just like driving with frost on them:cry:

These are great nights to sleepo with the window open, but when the Iowa Interstate (IAIS) train goes by about a mile away early in the morning it wakes me up:mrgreen::mrgreen:

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
These are great nights to sleepo with the window open, but when the Iowa Interstate (IAIS) train goes by about a mile away early in the morning it wakes me up:mrgreen::mrgreen:

:D Nothing like having a Real Railroad to use as an alarm clock!!!! We have one too... The Old B&O line ( NS/CSX now ) - They sound their horns at the crossings near us (About 1 mile away)

I'll wake up - and when it's time to sign on the computer - i can hear the horns most days :) :) Really neat!!!

ezdays

Out AZ way
:D Nothing like having a Real Railroad to use as an alarm clock!!!! We have one too... The Old B&O line ( NS/CSX now ) - They sound their horns at the crossings near us (About 1 mile away)

I'll wake up - and when it's time to sign on the computer - i can hear the horns most days :) :) Really neat!!!
We're about three miles from the BNSF mainline but I can still hear a faint horn around 4:30 in the morning. After that there's too much city noise to make it out. It doesn't matter though, the residents of Sun City West are a bit disturbed by the noise so at their insistence, it will soon be declared a "quiet zone". It doesn't matter that the tracks have been there for about eighty years, and the residents for less than ten.:curse: It was a lot louder when we lived in Wickenburg and about a half-mile from the tracks. There is something very peaceful and soothing to hear, so why anyone objects is beyond my comprehension.

Bob Collins

If you are into listening to train horns you can come here and listen to them basically 24/7. We have the mainlines of the UPRR, the BNSF, the IAIS, the CN and also some action with the KCS and the Mexican National Railroad. The UPRR actually has several mainlines through this area and what they normally do is route their west bound traffic over the Missouri River bridge at Missouri Valley, Iowa (about 20 miles north of here) and their east bound traffic across the bridge here between Omaha and Council Bluffs. They "average" about 80 coal trains a day, plus quite a number of intermodals and mixed freights. As the corn and soy bean harvest seasons crank up here in another month there will be train after train heading south down the BNSF line through Kansas City to the gulf coast. There is plenty of train action to satisfy almost all but the real diehards. From time to time I'll swing up to the north end of town to check out the former CNW shops which is where the UPRR keep their fancy passenger consist, the E-8's they use to pull it and also where they do refurbishing of special equipment. Sometimes that stuff will be outside where a guy can gawk at it:thumb::thumb:

Chief Eagles

Morning. Phone rang at 4 AM. Was up with boys [dogs] as oldest [8] has to go early now. So was feeding them their hot dog breakfast [their Mom started that years ago]. So wasn't bad that it rang. Was model railraoding buddy in England. Good to chat with him. Then back to bed for a snooze. Hard to hear train horns from here. One CSX local near and, if outside, can hear. When I was a young buck, a guy and I had a house rented in Raleigh with the N&W tracks in the back yard. A crossing was two houses down. First moved there, woke me up a 12 AM everytime. Then slept right through it. Sudenly woke up on 12 AM as no horn. N&W was on strike and no train. Funny how that happens. Off down east to Mom's. Back this afternooon. later

MadHatter

Charging at full tilt.
Spring is in the air, lots of colours everywhere (well down here anyway-hehe).

Ja, and with spring comes rain. The roads are flooding- was quite scary driving (Chevy Sparks arn't made for roads with lotso water).

Ah, it's great to hear the thunder but my doggie doesn't like it, so for most of spring and summer he sleeps with me in my room- aye.

Status
Not open for further replies.