Come on back to the caboose and get a cup of coffee [or sweet ice tea] Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

spankybird

OTTS Founder
May 13, 2005
Willoughby, Ohio, USA
Good Morning All from NE Ohio

Where the temp is 65 deg and heading to 82. This is the last day of nice temp as tomorrows high will only be 50 deg with rain.

Boy what memories you all bring back. Yes I aslo remember he Linclon Logs and building blocks. It must be the engineer in me.

Here is an old pic that I had. This was before i had my scaner, so I just took a digetal pic of it.

47b4da29b3127cce9a926c3220ec00000036108IZMmrFwxbA

:D

Gil Finn

Aug 28, 2005
Bergoo W Va
That is wonderful.

I got a hand me down marx set but I was to young to play with it alone and it hit the God Will Box soon after.

My first set was an AF work set with an C&NW switcher, I think it was.

I had a deprived childhood, no trains in out home.

That really brings back the memories Spanky of a lot of otherwise wonderfull holidays.

wrmcclellan

Oct 1, 2005
North Texas
Morning all!

Great photos of good times past!

Finally cooled off here. 64 and dropping. Got electric bill - ouch - avg temp for past month was 95 vs the same period last yeat at 89. So guess what - bill was substantially higher also.

The local utility has asked for a 24% rate hike! Causing a big stir here. Especially since that same utility has a big show at the Texas State Fair that burns off about 1 M cu ft of gas for the display when it fires off. Questions in the newspaper about why are they burning all that gas when it is known to be short for this coming winter????

BTW Chief - great job on that wainscotting! Can't let my wife see that you are improving your house or mine will get onto me about the same thing! It would take away from trains!

Have a great day you guys!
Roy

Oct 2, 2005
S.E Ohio
YEP, and the government has approved a 14.5 billion dollar package

to the gas companies for tax breaks and etc., etc. AND, the gas

companies have posted the highest profits in any corporate history.

Makes you wonder, who is paying who ???

Oct 2, 2005
S.E Ohio
Tom,

That was not my dog. It was a relative's. I just posted it to try out my posting
skills. But, that dog with the LIPS, WOW. I'll have to print that out and show it
to ours.

Chuck

Gil Finn

Aug 28, 2005
Bergoo W Va
Roy, our Utilities Comm. just granted our natural gas supplier a 22% increase. We are getting raped by the fuel industry. "Plant a Bush (Bush =:sleeping: ) back in Texas."
:thumb:
:mad:
That will hit my dad hard. :cry: He put in gas heat in 1950 when it was unending and cheap as dirt.They were well fixed when they retired but whenEnron and Kmart, ect bottomed out it hurt them, likewise the cost of health care and the crappy deal on his retirement when Dow bought out Carbide.

Between hand outs to my kid in college, I keep telling them he has a job and makes more than they do, and 3 trips to a quack each week, the have it close to the edge.

We heat with coal fired electric and we have low rates here. Those Yankees need to convert their oil fired electric plants to coal and live better and cheaper...or freeze.

I have stayed home about all summer rather than burn any fuel in my classic old Caddy and it got to be a habit what with some previous long term health problems so I am in the habit of not running down the road 3 times a day whenever I run low on milk or bread or something.

This is going to be a hard, poor winter. The folks in So. Eastern Ohio, W Va and Kentucky will feel the pinch, we live on the edge of disaster now.

Roger B.

Oct 2, 2005
Watkinsville, GA
Our electric costs are reasonible compared to other local power companies. Eventhough, rates have still been climbing. We are served by an EMC, energy management co-op, that has hydro generation and only buys from the big boy, GA Power, when necessary. Compared to a rental house we own in a neighboring county where the co-op buys it's power our rates are maybe 40% lower.

With keeping a heatpump, AC/Heat, and de-humidifier going in the train room I'm glad we live where we do.

We finally have some rain after 35 dry days. Now I'll have to make sure the lawn tractor still runs after sitting idle, I did use it a few times to haul water for some plants I put in just before the dry spell started.

Oct 2, 2005
S.E Ohio
Good Evening Gentlemen.

How about that for an opening line.?????

Chief... I'm still getting tomatoes and green peppers from my garden too.
That is until the first frost.

Is Buckeye still missing. Again???

Well, things look quiet this evening. A lot of great dog pictures.

Chuck

Gil Finn

Aug 28, 2005
Bergoo W Va
Well, Gentlemen, ( very good salutaion)

While my mators and peppers have about given up the ghost with this dry spell, be assured I am making copious quantities of apple butter, gathering clover and honey suckle spawned honey from high mountain sources and enjoying a windfall of sorghum and even, dare I say, have my twice yearly supply of untax paid, all Pyrex glass made spirits, now available at this time.

Not only that but I am looking forward to, when cold weather comes, excellent smoked or salted bacon, sugar cured ham and as always, the year round double yoke, brown eggs.

We get 20 pounds of stone ground corn meal from Babcock State Park in August and make it do all winter as well as share with family and friends

I pickle eggs by the quart and dry apples and peaches for pies in winter.
Bannana bread and pumpkin bread are standard fair with relaitives when visited or visiting.

If you guys are nice to me. I might share a little around Thanksgiving or the Yule Tide.

My brother and I have had so many close E net friend wanting his apple butter we are thinking of making gift packs in multiple baby food jar packs for the hollidays.

Dont let the Bubbster fool ya, I may have a city zip code, but living here since 1670, a hill billy knows how to eat. Thank God I am a country boy!!:D

Yes sir.

fallbabcock.jpg

http://www.babcocksp.com/

spankybird

OTTS Founder
May 13, 2005
Willoughby, Ohio, USA
Good Morning All from NE Ohio

where the temp is 56 with rain and headed to 52 :( downhill deg. So it seems that summer has come to an end and fall is here. :D

This weekend we will have to strip what is left of our garden, only a few tomotos and peppers left. I should have done it last weekend but put it off.

This weekend we will also set up our halloween layout. :thumb:

Tonight is OTTS meeting for NE Ohio boys.

Pick of the day
IMGP1408s.JPG

:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.