Come on back to the caboose and get a cup of coffee [or sweet ice tea] Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gil Finn

Spanky that engine looks as light as mine.

Is it a C&O?

47b5da02b3127cce98548daafa0f00000027108IZMmrFwxbA

Spanky's pic....

My pic...

Berkshire1.jpg

This paint job was sort of controversial.

spankybird

OTTS Founder
HI Gil,

Not quite an C & O, its from MTH collectors club :D

47b4cc08b3127cce9d83089e942700000026108IZMmrFwxbA

Don't you love the color of it sign1

If I find another C & O tender it just may get a black paint job. :thumb:

Gil Finn

I can see it is silver and purple in that pic.

Two tone it, 3 tone it purple, black and silver then put a purple stripe on the C&O tender so you can mix it up and run it either way.

spankybird

OTTS Founder
Good Morning All from NE Ohio
where the temp is 52 deg and headed to 55 deg. This won't last as tomorrow is rain turning to snow in the afternoon. :(

T G I F

Train Show tomorrow, Parma UAW Hall. About 7 or 8 of us from the OTTS group are going together. This should be a blast. :D

Gil - that is a great little engine for the money. $180.00 with full commond and speed control.

Pick of the Day

IMGP0297s.JPG

:thumb:

Chief Eagles

Morning all. Tom and diesel!!!!!! :confused: Going to 68 today. Sun is out and shinning until tonight. Rain coming. Have a good one.

Gil Finn

Tom, I must have that switcher!!!!!!!!!!

What is it? Lionel? What is the catalog number? It's O 27 isnt it or is it Standard O gauge?

What ever, it looks nice.

Chief, where are you off to today?

I am working on a dozen old lionel frieght cars this week. Painting some and touching up othjers and spraying on dull coat .

Patzy wanted to know this morning if I was Don Blankenship now that I have this coal empire. :curse:

jloval.gif

"HELL NO!! ", I told her," I'm John L Lewis" . sign1

announce1 She told me if I didnt get a hair cut and trim my eye brows that would be intirely possible.

spankybird

OTTS Founder
Hey Gil, guess what showed up today.

Just a little bit biger than my MTH or K-line scale cars :eek:ops:

47b6df01b3127cce96aa8cea050c00000016108IZMmrFwxbA

Lionel on the Left and MTH on the Right

47b6df01b3127cce96aa836cc42500000016108IZMmrFwxbA

K-line diecast on the left and Lionel on the right.

47b6df01b3127cce96aa8c5d848b00000016108IZMmrFwxbA

47b6df01b3127cce96aa8772c43900000016108IZMmrFwxbA

I think it looks ok in line. What do you think?

:wave:

Gil Finn

That is cool. How did you like the bonus?

That is a big hopper isnt it?

See how much larger it is than my K Line?sign1

xmasi015.jpg

Gil Finn

No kidding. WE had it as a kid and used it as play money.

After the government out lawed the practice it turned up everywhere.

spankybird

OTTS Founder
where the temp is 37 with rain which will be turning to snow today.:(
Yesterday got up to 62 deg, not bad for mid January :D

TCA Train show today at Parma UAW Hall, open to the public. 7 of us from OTTS are going as a group and then Lunch after the show.

Pick of the Day
47b6df01b3127cce96aa84dc053e00000016108IZMmrFwxbA

Chief Eagles

Morning all. Good breakfast. Now to visit computer. More work upstairs. Cloudya nd rainy but WARM. Snow on those Yanks. :thumb: Have a good one and God bless all.

Gil Finn

This post was on an other forum by me.

The topic was the new Lionel catalog and the seemimnly dramic price increases .
I responded that the new prices dont effect me.

I wrote:

Lionel wont miss my sales.
I cant begin to think of buying new catalog items these days.

I have themes for railroading and work to achieve those and in doing that I buy at lot of ebay and show vender stuff.

I have gotten 3 new engines since the K Line Big Boy came out but that is not a lot. Mostly I buy cheap or items in disrepair and fix them up.

I have concentrated on K Line and Industrial marked down pieces locally.

My Christmas Lists contain well researched stuff so my family can get the most for the bucks.

My personal income in a year is what many of you all make in a month so I haven,t a lot to spend.

Last night I bid on and won a like new K W for about $100 and ask the fellow before the auction closed if I could pay him after the 1st if it went over the $75 I had bid. He was nice about it.

I would love to have a ZW but some where I have a TMMC set up and cant see the expense.

My point is I can't buy out of the new catalogs any given year but I still manage to enjoy myself.

A big hit was 3 years ago this winter a series of floods destroyed almost every thing I had. Dozens of engines and cars I spent 15 years plus accumulating.

Now what I have done this winter is build a Bachman coaling tower and ask Bubbette to get me a K Line warehouse sale 6 pac of coal hoppers.

I bought 12 more on ebay of post war Lionel and that post 70s cheap stuff for about $7 per unit shipped. I got two Industrial Rail hoppers also.
So I have about 20 nice hoppers now, half with loads for around $200 total.

I also got a Lionel Coaling station for $20 and shipping this weekend that I am kit bashing into a coal tipple.

I repainted a Berk and a couple of the hoppers. Touched up a few old heavey plastic Lionels and cleaned and dull coated them all and now I have a nice Coal line ready for a new lay out. Most black, two gray and two tuscan, a nice mixed lot of coal hoppers.

I spent the money over several months and now I am quite pleased with the results.

I really am not directly impacted by the market and prices. The two New preoreded engines I have, I paid like a layaway and when the came they were paid for.

This is the fun part for me, finding and fixing. When I was a kid I would drag home every trike and buggy wheel I could fine and make go carts to coast down the hills with.

Later on it was bicycle frames and wheels.

Now it is old toy trains.

I am happy as hell doing it to. Some testers spray paint, decals, polish and craft paint is the only tool I need besides some imagination.

Rusty pre war is great to rehab, it cleans up really well.

I am not saying Hi Rail is not a great hobby and Big Buck collectors and operators like Tony Lash are not having fun also, I admire them and what they do, truly but for Gil and Bubba, we have the most fun working with in our limitations and I encourage all the guys like me to make the most of what you have and enjoy it.

0001fl4trn005.jpg

Gil Finn

I am looking forward tom getting my Lionel Coaling tower. I bought it on Ebay for $20 and there was an other one I bid on finishing up an hour later. When I won the first one I looked to see what the second was going for. I didnt rebid as it was at $47 bucks at closing and went for a few dollars more than that.
0ajfile.jpg

I am going nuts to begin a layout, this floor stuff leaves much to be desired.

0001fl4trn003.jpg

spankybird

OTTS Founder
where the temp is 27 deg with Blue Clear Skies and headed to 45 deg. :D

Gil - Great job on the weathering of your Coal Tower. Becarful of the floor, look how long Chief has been on it. sign1

Did anyone see the Berrett-Jackson Auction last night. Now there are outragous prices. Many Hemi Cudas went for over $1,000,000. announce1

Pick of the Day
47b6df01b3127cce96aa86f7051400000016108IZMmrFwxbA

Chief Eagles

Afternoon gang. Early Church and then watched a thing on wolves on Discovery. I'm a fan of wolves. Getting clothes ready and packing for week long trip [leave tomorrow PM]. The Keys and then straight to NH. What a shock. Later

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
spankybird said:
where the temp is 27 deg with Blue Clear Skies and headed to 45 deg. :D

Gil - Great job on the weathering of your Coal Tower. Becarful of the floor, look how long Chief has been on it. sign1

Did anyone see the Berrett-Jackson Auction last night. Now there are outragous prices. Many Hemi Cudas went for over $1,000,000. announce1

Yeah - I've been following it :( All those cars that I used to own, or my friends had.... we could have all retired :( :( :(

My friend's mom had the '69 Chevelle and He had a '68 Galaxy & I had a '74 Nova :( Unreal - they all went for more than $ 200,000.00 It's amazing for 10,000.00 to 20,000.00 restoration, they sell for 10 times that much now :eek: :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.