Come on back to the caboose and get a cup of coffee [or sweet ice tea] Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gil Finn

It rained and thundered all nite and was about 45* this morning and may get to 65* by this afternoon.

I unpacked my new hoppers Santa brought and finaly tried them out.
An edit to ask for prayer after I saw the evening news.

I posted this on OGR and copied it to here.

I am playing with my Berk and 6 K line coal hoppers also the MTH mine figures I received for Christmas and then I here about that mine explosion.

If you see it on TV and they show a map, I am located near Charleston.

Some of my late Grand Mother Fame's people are from the town of Adrian, in Upsur County W Va, I saw the Adrian VFD mine rescue teem painted on one of the vehicles setting up a trailer.

AS it turns out a internet"girl friend" of mine has an uncle in that mine.
She is a person I met in a chat room years ago and we keep in touch as our kids are the same age.

My great great grand father was killed in a mine there maybe in 1900 or before.

My brother was in his youth a mine electrician at Cannleton Coal's cleaning plant up the river from here.

I am going get another set of MTH miners and an other set of life like construction workers and model that peticular mine when I get to that point in the new layout, I was going to do so anyway and like once before have a cut away section on my tunnel showing a mine covered with glass.
But I degree.

Wont you join me in prayer for these 13 men and there families, the rescuers and all the volunteers up there to night.

I am sure the Salvation Army will be there with a food truck as will the Red Cross.

Many of us have coal in some way on a layout, cars, tipples, coaling towers, ect.

Take a look at what you have molded, touch it and pray as you do for the folks with me.

You all are a swell bunch of folks, you truly are. Let us rise to this occasion and in what ever way you have, pray, think positive thoughts or just reflect on this as is your custom what ever that maybe.

This is a part of our prototypical RR family, just like the freight passengers trains and subway systems that experience disasters in their respective real life operations that we model.

Maybe also in this tread you can share what sort of coal related accessories, operation or RR lines that haul coal on you layout.

Thank you

Steve Frame,
the Gil Master

layout12.jpg

spankybird

OTTS Founder
Good Morning All from NE Ohio
where the temp is 40 deg and headed to 45 with overcast skies. I think most of the east cost had rain and t-stroms yesterday. Better than alot of snow. ;)

Gil - our prayers are with the miners and their families.

Well the Holidays are over and now it's back to work until Easter.

pick of the day

47b5cc09b3127cce98548dd37b4600000017108IZMmrFwxbA

:wave:

Chief Eagles

Morning all. Gil, saw it on RR headlines last night. Nothing this AM. Been saying a prayer for them. Hope they are out and OK by now. Had big TStorms around 11 PM and then 12 AM. Hard pour down after a nice rain all day. Better go check the pond spillway to insure no logs blocking it. Still foggy and rainy. Warm. Going to do a little house cleaning for Pam as she went back to work today. Got Town Board meeting tonight. Did some train work yesterday. All have a good one and God bless.

spankybird

OTTS Founder
where the temp is 44 with light rain falling and headed to 46 deg.

Gil - Sad to hear that so many lost thier lives and also the confusion of the meadia on their reporting of this. :(

Chief - did the train work include building any bench work :confused:

Pick of the Day

47b5cc10b3127cce98548db52f1600000017108IZMmrFwxbA

Chief Eagles

Busy morning. Phone ringing off the hook and then cable repair Supv. and repairman were here to address some intermittent issues. Time for lunch. Sad about our coal miner brothers. :cry: Lunch time. :D Have a good one and God bless.

spankybird

OTTS Founder
where the temp is 40 deg and this is our high for the day, fall temps with snow tonight. And so Winter goes :rolleyes:

Last night Buckeye Riviter from Columbus, Ohio stop by for a visit. It is always great to meet with other forum member and talk trains.

47b6df25b3127cce96ce8cd377da00000016108IZMmrFwxbA

Left to right is Spanky, me and Buckeye.

Train Show this Saturday at Parma UAW hall.

Pick of the Day

47b5cc10b3127cce96273c1c6f6200000016108IZMmrFwxbA

Chief Eagles

Morning gang. 44 degrees here. Warming some but cold invasion from them Yankees. Earlier forcast said warm all week, Now looks like today and tomorrow might be in the 40's but warming [we'll drive that Yankee air back] again Sunday and Monday.

Wow. What a picture. Think I'll print it out and put it over the garbage can to keep the flies away. Now second thought, it will attract flies. :p ;)

Have a good one and God bless all.

Gil Finn

It was heart wrenching to be sure.

I have lost the desire for now to play with my coal hoppers.

After the funerals I plan to set up a floor train for a few weeks and test some track plans.

spankybird

OTTS Founder
where the temp is 28 deg with light snow showers in the area.

TGIF

Gil - that is what Chief said and 2 years later he is still on the floor :eek:

Train Show this Saturday 1-7-06, Parma UAW Hall.

Pick of the Day
47b5cc09b3127cce98548de97b7c00000017108IZMmrFwxbA

Chief Eagles

Morning gang. 44 was a low yesterday [got to 64] and the high today . Cold and rainy. Wife home sick. Have a good one and God bless.

Chessie6459

Gauge Oldtimer
Morning Guyz. It is a cold 20 degrees here with snow flying.:( No modeling for me today because I still have to find all my trains since we moved 2 weeks ago. Tom Great Photo.:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

spankybird

OTTS Founder
where the temp is 26 and headed to 36 with overcast skies. We pick up a light coating of snow, so the yard is all white again. :)

Chessie, you got to find the trians. Isn't that the first thing that gets put back up, the layout. :thumb:

Train Show today at Parma UAW Hall.

Today we are making a trip to Akron to Glen's Trains (MTH Mega Store) to pick a couple of things. :thumb: :cool:

Pick of the Day
47b5cc09b3127cce98548dd37b4600000017108IZMmrFwxbA

Gil Finn

I think I will start taking the trees down today. Or at least one of them. The small tree in the parlor I will keep up a bit longer but the one in the drawing room will come down so I can make a floor train from it.

My cold is still plauging me and the antibiotics the VA doc gave me this time, the 3rd trip there, aren't doing any good.

It is COLD this morning, I was just out side filling the bird feeders which the squikles have broken. Half the seeds run out onto the ground, I can do a hasty repair with doct tape I think.

I am dizzy today, I was planning on going to Home Depot but dont think I can drive.

I got a scale coal hopper on ebay , I didnt read the ad fully and noe I have this giant car amongst the little ones.

I need 0 27.

It dwrafs the others. Anyone need a C&O scale hopper?

Those looks like a HOPPER AND A GONDOLA BUT IT IS A lIONEL c&o 1:48 SACLE CAR AND AN 0 27 k LINE HOPPER...damn cap locks...
amazing isint it?

xmasi015.jpg

MY word, I had to edit this post as every other word was misspelled, this cold is killing me, I beter let Bubbtte do the driving today.

Gil Finn

Have you anything in 0 27 gauge to trade?

If not email me and we will work out something.

If I keep this too long I know I will get the hi rail, scale bug as this is a neat piece of work.

I found however that the K Line 0 27 6 pack hoppers have a little better detail

email me at bubbaproboard@aol.com

Why dont you guys drop by and post a topic once in a while on my forum, I think the several folks who do that are tired of me trying to breath life into that sucker. :D

Spanky's photo would get some attention, even non RR types love toy trains.

12_1.JPG

Chief Eagles

Morning all. Cold but warming fast and then staying above freezing for a few days. High tomorrow 62. Wishing snow on the northern Ohio guy. fence ;) All have a good day and God bless.

spankybird

OTTS Founder
where the temp is 28 and headed to 44 with overcast skies

Wow did we get a bunch of new smiles or what jawdrop

Gil - I have this older Lionel coal hopper, made in 71

47b6df29b3127cce96f9a1c6f0e900000017108IZMmrFwxbA

You can see one of my MTH hopper behind it. This is the time frame when lionel only had one operating coupler. The other one is molded closed.

47b6df29b3127cce96f9a104f02b00000017108IZMmrFwxbA

Chief - No snow this week - we are getting warmer all week long balloon6

Pick of the Day - New refer
47b6df26b3127cce96ff883b7eac00000017108IZMmrFwxbA

Note it says 'Call of the NORTH'

47b6df26b3127cce96ff8fd5bfe900000017108IZMmrFwxbA

aussie

Gil Finn

I have about $30 in this one.
I want to sort stay away frum the general mills, Fundamentions era stuff.

I have a good bit of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.