Come on back to the caboose and get a cup of coffee [or sweet ice tea] Part I

Discussion in 'The Caboose' started by Chief Eagles, Oct 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chief Eagles

Chief Eagles Active Member

Roseyville Town Board meeting lasted until 11PM. Where are some of the "old timers"? Old Tanker was always here. Guess the warmer weather sends everyone outside and no time for forum. Pond is green. County came and got water samples. County Soil and Water to come tomorrow AM to see what is going on. Definately getting fertlized and not by me. Big algie bloom. Trying to find source. Might be city sewer leaking from line or manhole right at pond. Gooooood night.
  2. thumsup

thumsup Member

Hey Chief,

Hope the pond thing works out for ya.... Good night see ya all on the flip flop

Joe
  3. pennman

pennman Member

Hey all,
    Chief Noticed the same thing seems everybody has gone out. Hmmm.
    Had almost the same thing afewyears ago had a broken sewer pipe made the lawn look real good in that one spot.
    Well yall have fun.
    Tony
  4. jeffrey-wimberl

jeffrey-wimberl Active Member

Good morning and top 'o' the day to all of ye.

Today's Weather for:
    Sundown, LA 71446-6114 5/23/2007

Sundown Fire Dept., Station 23

Wind Chill: 70°F
    Humidity: 88%
    Dew Point: 66°F

So Far Today
    High: 70°F
    Low: 69°F
    Rain: 0.00"
    Rain Rate: 0.00"/h
    Gust: 9mph SE

Today High: 82 Mostly cloudy with a 50 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Highs in the lower 80s. Southeast winds 10 to 15 mph.

Tonight Low: 65 Mostly cloudy with a 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms in the evening...then partly cloudy after midnight. Lows in the mid 60s. Southeast winds 10 to 15 mph.

[​IMG]

A large portion the central U.S. could see severe weather on Wednesday. At the same time, warm and dry weather continues to rule the eastern half of the U.S.

Major cities such as Dallas, Oklahoma City and possibly as far north as Minneapolis all could be under the gun for severe thunderstorms Wednesday afternoon. Warm temperatures and moist Gulf air out ahead of a strong cold front will help fuel these storms with temperatures reaching into the 70s and 80s.

Areas from northern Oklahoma through southeastern Nebraska have the greatest threat for the most damaging of these storms, some of which could produce large hail, damaging wind gusts, and tornadoes.
    Behind this storm system, there will be a chance of rain and weak thunderstorms for much of the northern Rockies into the northern Plains. Temperatures here will be on the cool side with highs only in the 50s and 60s.

Most locations east of the Mississippi will see warmer conditions with mostly sunny skies. Temperatures from the Southeast northward to the Great Lakes will approach 90 degrees with slightly cooler temperatures in the Northeast.

The only exception will be southern Florida where typical springtime showers and thunderstorms will again be likely. In addition, a slight chance of showers exists for the central Appalachians and adjacent locations to the east.

Across the West, easterly down-sloping winds in California should support hot temperatures into the low 90s for the valleys while low-level clouds should keep coastal areas cooler in the 70s. Further north, coastal Oregon and Washington should remain mostly cloudy and cool with highs only in the 50s and a chance of late-day showers.
  5. MadHatter

MadHatter Charging at full tilt.

Well today's slightly warmer than yesterday.

Wondering if everyone from previous Gauge has managed to get through, besides the good weather on your side.

Keep well
  6. Chief Eagles

Taking a break. Been with County Soil and Water guy all morning at GREEN pond. Then got calls from Raleigh Utilities. They are denying as expected. Who knows???? Hoping not to get a fish kill. Lots of hard work could be lost if fish kill. No time for trains. Later
  7. Gil Finn

Gil Finn Active Member

Have a great time with that Lionel. Trains have a name: Lionel :-D

PS: You springing for the pizza and beer?
  8. Ralph

Ralph Remember...it's for fun!

Had a little excitment at work this afternoon. Tornado warning had us taking cover for about half an hour. Not sure if there were any actual spotted touchdowns but plenty of rotation on dopplar apparently. I didn't see any damage as I drove home. Much quieter tonight! Phew!
    Ralph
  9. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

Went into the city today so my wife could go to the hairdresser. I went over to Union Station to see the GO Transit 40th anniversary celebration. Left early; the managers talked and then the politicians started so I took a streetcar back.
    Called the dealer and they said that our new RV is in; we can pick it up on the 1st. Gives us time to arrange storage and insurance. (For the techies: Four Winds model 28A, class C 30 footer.) Who has a campground near them?
  10. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

Nothing wanted to work right today. I had some fuses blow in my New Holland. I looked everywhere for the fuse box. I found it but it took an hour to tear apart the dash because it was located behind the instrument panel with no access points.

The lawn tractor was acting up and I had to replace some filters for the hydraulic steering. The only problem was that I had to take the rear wheel off to get to them.

I went to mow the hay fields and the head loaded with grass jamming all the blades. The problem was a two-dollar spring that keeps tension on the rollers. It took two hours to get the blades and head cleared.

After that it rained like heck. :)
  11. jeffrey-wimberl

Today's Weather for:
    Sundown, LA 71446-6114 5/24/2007

Wind Chill: 69°F
    Humidity: 90%

So Far Today
    High: 70°F
    Low: 66°F
    Rain: 0.00"
    Gust: 10mph SE

Today High: 82 Partly sunny with a 40 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Highs in the lower 80s. Southeast winds around 10 mph.

Tonight Low: 65 Partly cloudy with a 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Lows in the mid 60s. Light and variable winds.

[​IMG]
  12. rogerw

rogerw Active Member

Morning, 4 to 6 inches of rain in last 14 hours in north east kansas. Its wet here, and they say 2/3 of the country is in a drought?:-D:-D:-D
  13. jeffrey-wimberl

That's right. Louisiana is more than 30 inches down on it's rainfall for the past several years. It's quite dry here.
  14. MadHatter

Aahh, the wonders of summer- besides being nice and warm, she brings with her, her own set of troubles!
  15. jeffrey-wimberl

Good morning. Thank God it's Friday! I'll be heading out to work at 7:30 but I'm looking forward to this weekend. A three day weekend.

Today's Weather for:
    Sundown, LA 71446-6114 5/25/2007

Wind Chill: 66°F
    Humidity: 96%
    Dew Point: 65°F

So Far Today
    High: 69°F
    Low: 66°F
    Rain: 0.01"
    Gust: 6mph SE

Today High: 85 Partly cloudy with a 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Highs in the mid 80s. Southeast winds around 10 mph.

Tonight Low: 65 Mostly clear. Lows in the mid 60s. Southeast winds around 10 mph in the evening becoming light and variable.

The Memorial Day weekend, the unofficial start of the summer of 2007, will be full of warm and calm weather along both coasts even as the central U.S. stays a bit stormy.

Saturday:

High pressure dominating the weather on both the East and West coasts will produce warm and pleasant conditions and abundant sunshine for both seaboards.

Afternoon temperatures will be unseasonably warm, with 80s likely throughout the East, Southeast and Gulf Coast. The West will have a bigger range of temperatures, with the Northwest and Intermountain seeing highs in the 70s and the Great Basin, interior California and the Rockies climbing into the 80s. The Desert Southwest will be the warmest as the mercury shots through the 90s and into the triple digits.

Squeezed between the two high pressure systems is a weakening front. Energized by early-day sunshine and fed by abundant Gulf of Mexico moisture, a fresh round of thunderstorms will be possible across the Southern and central Plains and throughout the Great Lakes.
    Temperatures will generally be in the 70s and 80s across the Plains, with areas of the northern Plains not climbing out of the 60s.

Sunday:

The second day of the holiday weekend will be very similar to Saturday, with more storms for the Central Plains and Great Lakes and warmer and dry weather across the West and South.

The only big change will be found in the Northeast and parts of the Ohio Valley, where early-morning sunshine will give way to increasing clouds and a chance of late-day showers and thunderstorms. A few storms will also be possible across south Florida and over the northern Rockies.
    The hottest temperatures will be found across the Desert Southwest, where highs will easily climb into the triple digits. Temperatures in the upper 80s and low 90s will be found across the rest of the Southwest, Great Basin, inland California as well as parts of the interior South and along the Gulf Coast.

Highs across the rest of the West, Central Plains and Northeast will generally be in the 70s and 80s, with a few 60s found in the western Great Lakes.

Memorial Day:

Like a broken record, the extended holiday weekend will end the same way it began, with a scattering of thunderstorms across the Central U.S. and very warm weather across the West and Southeast.

The scattered afternoon thunderstorms will mostly be found across much of the southern and east central Plains. Additional storms will make their way into the northern Plains, Ohio Valley and Mid-Atlantic late in the day.
    The West will continue to warm up with the area seeing highs in excess of 90-degrees expanding into more of the Great Basin, southern Rockies and spilling out into west Texas. The Desert Southwest will continue to see highs in the triple digits, while the Northwest reaches into the 70s and low 80s.

Temperatures in the East and South will also be on the warm side as the thermometers climb well into the 80s to near 90 degrees.

If a flash flooding warning is issued for your area, quickly act and head for higher ground. Remember, never drive across flooded roads, swift moving water can easily lift a car and sweep it downstream. Turn Around, Don't Drown!

[​IMG]
  16. Ralph

Gorgeous day in Minnesota! Glad I decided to take it off! :)
    Ralph
  17. Chief Eagles

Morning. Busy trying to make sure pond does not have fish kill. Glad to see new folks visiting the Pot. Looks like a busy holiday weekend for one guy. Ran trains a little last night. Dry and now officially in drought. Have a good one.
  18. MadHatter

Hi All :wave:

At last nights Friday Night Group meeting I was given a real piece of gold- so to speak: It is an old book from the S.A.R. (South African Railways) with every station in the country and Namibia listed and the distances to the main stations/ depots.

The Station Forman or rather Trainee Station Forman had to learn this book in three months otherwise he couldn't get the job he applied for.
    To pass he needed to get 85% or higher and he only had one chance.
    Alternatively he could opt to go to Railway College and do 12 months free work (Mon. - Sat.) without missing one day otherwise his 12 months started all over again.

The reason they needed to know this book was to calculate tarriffs for passengers and goods.

I'm hopeing to soon receive another two books from this gentleman that worked with this book I was given. I also learnt that the whole South African Railways was run using just 11 books!

Keep well...

P.S.- what holiday are you guys celebrating?
  19. jeffrey-wimberl

Good morning and top 'o' the day to all of ye.

Today's Weather for:
    Sundown, LA 71446-6114 5/26/2007

Wind Chill: 67°F
    Humidity: 96%

So Far Today
    High: 69°F
    Low: 67°F
    Rain: 0.01"
    Gust: 7mph ESE

Today High: 85 Partly sunny. Highs in the mid 80s. Southeast winds around 10 mph.

Tonight Low: 65 Partly cloudy. Lows in the mid 60s. Southeast winds up to 10 mph in the evening becoming light and variable.

Severe Weather Threat Extends Into the Holiday Weekend
    May 26, 2007

Thunderstorms producing torrential downpours, frequent lightning, and damaging winds will continue to threaten outdoor activities through the holiday weekend.

The trigger of this round of storms is a developing storm system moving out of the northern Rockies. Energized by the strong late-May sun and Gulf of Mexico moisture pushing northward across the Gulf of Mexico, these storms will quickly become severe later this afternoon and evening.

Additional thunderstorms will be possible across the southern Plains, the central Mississippi Valley, and the eastern Great Lakes region. Although these storms will not produce severe storms, torrential downpours could cause flash flooding. Parts of Southwest and South-Central Texas have reported flooding problems since Thursday night due to the ongoing storms.

Looking deeper into the Memorial Day weekend, additional strong to severe thunderstorms will shift from the central U.S. to the eastern Great Lakes region and the Northeast for Sunday. A new storm system forming across the far northern High Plains will refocus the severe threat in this region on Monday.

If a flash flood warning is issued for your area, quickly act and head for higher ground. Remember, never drive across flooded roads; moving water can easily lift a vehicle and sweep it downstream. Turn Around, Don't Drown!

The breakfast bar is open.

[​IMG]
  20. Ralph

Hi MadHatter,

This Monday is Memorial Day, a time set aside for Americans to honor those who gave their lives for their country in all conflicts and to remember all who serve in the military.

Ralph
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.