Come on back to the caboose and get a cup of coffee [or sweet ice tea] Part I

Discussion in 'The Caboose' started by Chief Eagles, Oct 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chief Eagles

Chief Eagles Active Member

Morning all. Cold last night but warming. Tanker, hope Grandson's arm turns out OK. Want to run some trains this AM. Got to do expenses. Got Town meetings all afternoon and then Mended Hearts tonight. Busy first day back home. Off to Myrtle Beach SC on Thursday [drive to that event]. LAter
  2. N Gauger

N Gauger 1:20.3 Train Addict

Well - I'm "Customizing" the new truck already :D :D 2005 Ranger..... Built the "Storage box for the back so I can carry "Little things' without them rolling around the bed... :)

Oldtanker - Hope the grandson will be ok soon :)
  3. jefelectric

jefelectric Member

Good afternoon,

Welcome home Chief.

Still lots of ice on local roads. I used one today that was still completely covered, not a glimpse of blacktop. Need that 40 & 50 degree weather they are predicting for the next 3 days.

Off to the TCA museum Tuesday and Wednesday.

This afternoon I took my 11 year old grandson shopping. When a grandchild turns 12. we buy them a gun or something else of equal value so we went shopping for a rifle. Ended up with a Kimber 7mm/08 with Bushnell scope & Browning sling + 2 boxes of Ammo. Of course now he has to wait till his birthday which is April 4th. That will give him ample time to practice as the family has a hog hunt booked in SC in June. Dad, Mom and the two boys all hunt, I doubt if little sister will be a hunter, more of the indoor type. That is the last of the grandsons, but 4 more granddaughters comming along, I think one of those may be a hunter.

Take care,
  4. Gil Finn

Gil Finn Active Member

Still cold here, main roads are clear and it seems to be a thaw in the works.

I hope so.

I have been working on car kits this week.
  5. oldtanker

oldtanker Member

Update on the grandson. His arm is coming along fine with only 2 very small open spots. As long as there is no sign of infection we don't have to take him back in to see the doc!!!

Thanks for your thoughts!!!

Rick
  6. MadHatter

MadHatter Charging at full tilt.

That's great news steel on steel.

jefelectric- Quick question, do your electric locos work off the catinary, if not are you planning to convert them?
  7. jeffrey-wimberl

jeffrey-wimberl Active Member

Good morning.
    Today's Weather for:

Ft Polk, LA 71459 2/20/2007
    Live Conditions 8:48 AM
    Fort Polk Airfield
    Wind: 10 mph
    Temp: 63.0°F
    Switch to Celsius
    Wind Chill: 62°F
    Humidity: 84%
    Dew Point: 58°F

So Far Today
    High: 63°F
    Low: 61°F
    Rain: 0.00"
    Rain Rate: 0.00"/h
    Gust: 21mph SSW

High: 72 °F
    Low: 55 °F
    Now through 10:00 AM CST February 20, 2007
    High: 72

Through 10 AM...patches of very light rain and sprinkles will move east at 35 mph across portions of southeast Texas...central and southern Louisiana...as well as the adjacent coastal waters. Rain amounts will be very light and range from a trace to a few hundredths of an inch.

Today High: 72 Cloudy with a 50 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Highs in the lower 70s. Southwest winds 10 to 15 mph.

Tonight Low: 55 Mostly cloudy with a 20 percent chance of rain showers. Lows in the mid 50s. Southwest winds around 10 mph in the evening becoming light and variable.
  8. Chief Eagles

Morning all. Good news Tanker on the Grandson. Just realized, have not had time to visit trainroom since last Wednesday evening. Going right now. Got to start seeds in greenhouse and prune grape vines. Need to "break" garden and put in lime. Off to Myrtle Beach SC BPS Thursday. Got to get busy.
  9. N Gauger

N Gauger 1:20.3 Train Addict

Wanted to wait till now - to post - -

announce1 We're at 44 degrees!!!!!!!!!! :) :) FINALLY after 2 weeks of sub freezing weather... :) :)

~~ Talk about a bunch of people that don't know how to cope with cold!!! wall1 wall1
  10. jefelectric

jefelectric Member

Good evening,

At the present time I am not planning to use the catenary to carry power, but it is being installed so that it can be used if I change my mind, never say never.

Rick, That's good news about the grandson.
  11. Alan d Lambert

Alan d Lambert Member

Hey Jefelectric,

I saw a layout that had the catenary wire as the power sorce for his trolley and it ran good. The only problem they were having was the one module they needed to make the comlete turnaround didn't make the show. We had snow and ice so this guy didn't make the trip. Glad your thinking about the power option. I'm running my s gauge around a n oval until I can get something permanent set up I got space limits that kill me. Oh I'm talking about Texas weather, We don't get frozen stuff that much and peple don't know how to drive in it. Thanks Alan Lambert
  12. jeffrey-wimberl

jeffrey-wimberl Active Member

Just got more layout work on tap for today.

Today's Weather for:
    Sundown, LA 71446-6114 2/21/2007

Sundown Fire Dept., Station 23

Wind Chill: 63°F
    Humidity: 91%
    Dew Point: 60°F

So Far Today
    High: 63°F
    Low: 63°F
    Rain: 0.00"
    Rain Rate: 0.00"/h
    Gust: 6mph NNE

Now through 02:00 AM CST February 21, 2007

Low: 58

Through 2 AM...patchy light rain or sprinkles moving east can be expected across the region...with more activity from the Interstate 10 corridor south into the gulf waters.
    rest of this AM Low: 58 Mostly cloudy with a 20 percent chance of rain showers. Lows in the upper 50s. Light and variable winds.

Today High: 78 Mostly sunny. Highs in the upper 70s. Southwest winds around 10 mph.

Tonight Low: 48 Partly cloudy. Lows in the upper 40s. Light and variable winds.
  13. oldtanker

oldtanker Member

WOOHOO!!!!! Instead of getting to 35 we hit 41!!!!! This morning start at 29!

More work on the house today...just tear out.

Have a great day everyone.

Rick
  14. Chief Eagles

Morning all. Been up since 5:30. Wide awake. Drinking coffee and watching train DVD's. Stuffed up with a cold. Had fever last night. Getting drousy now so "reclinerize" for a while. Staying in even though it is real warm outside. Later
  15. pennman

pennman Member

Hey guys, been away most of the last weekin Dalton GA. visiting Grand kids, getting big quick.

Came back to TN and it was 68deg yesterday and suppose to be 70 deg out today..Yeah ha... Bad thing is means ime to start the outside work.

Got some great pics from over at DEBUTTS yard and some from GA will post them soon.

Rick glad to hear the kid is doing better.

Yall have fun,
    Tony
  16. MadHatter

Just an idea

Just an idea: In real life when electric locos go past a joint in the catinary- or rather the pantographs- they make a spark.

A friend of mine has immitated this on his layout by attaching two tiny LEDs over where technicaly a joint would be- i.e. points. When the electric locos go past this point they create a connection to the LEDs and they flash- the reason he used two LEDs is because they only operate with current flowing one direction through them.

When other trains, like diesel or steam, go past they obviously do not make contact so in turn won't immitate the spark- I will post some pics when I visit him later next week.

Now we just have to immitate the flames coming out of the exhausts of his
    diesel electrics- only visible @ night in real life. :thumb:

Keep well all.....................

P.S. I'm so angry, they tried breaking in my car the other night. :curse:
  17. oldtanker

oldtanker Member

:thumb: Tony, great for you, grandkids are so cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And they do grow so fast! One second they lay there, mess up diapers, cry and eat......the next they are talking, walking and learning to love trains (if grandpa has the patientssign1 )!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rick
  18. oldtanker

oldtanker Member

Catinary??? Very scary!!!! Too many soldiers have died (safety briefings were held, warnings given...but mistakes were made) from those in Germany while rail loading vehicles!

Just so you know.

Rick
  19. MadHatter

Be afraid Be very afraid, mwahahaha!!

oldtanker, that is a very true statement you made there.... That is why it is imperitive to make sure your track is near perfect and, unless your friends know how, only you put and remove locos from the layout, otherwise all that hard work putting up the catinary is wasted- don't be scared, just careful. :thumb: :D
  20. CNWman

CNWman CNW Fan

Hi everyone
    Been sick for the past two days, been miserable for I had to rest in bed and I couldn't say hi to everyone:D The elevator with the decals from:curse: is almost done for my dad and I just need to assemble it. My dad, however, says he won't let it be put on the layout untill we put some real dirt on the roof peices (a bad side effect from our visit to the Johnny's Toys model expo) to make it "really real". Personaly I think it's fine as-is because we've painted the :) out of the roof. Oh, well. It's gonna look good when it's done:D . I haven't been able to post pics because of our ad-block program thinggy ended up to be so dang corupted (it mad all our files ".ink"!) and the pics were destoyed in the end. I can still take some pics though:thumb: :D sign1

CNWman
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.