Combining hobbies

Roger Wellman

Feb 3, 2003
Delaware, Ohio
Visit site
Does anybody combine hobbies besides me? I have several hobbies, and several are incorporated into my layout (golf, etc) ... but this may be the first time I incorporated model railroading into another hobby. One of my other hobbies is square dancing. Over the weekend, our square dance club had its annual "Straw Hat Dance" and prizes were given to decorated straw hats ... and yes ... I HAD TO USE MODEL RAILROADING for my hat. I used a model of a model railroad for the brin, then made sign saying "TRACK tWO" ... which is a square dance call. The result ... first place! The question is ... has anyone else combined hobbies like this???

Attachments

• Roger's Track Two hat.jpg
    Roger's Track Two hat.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 223

Mar 25, 2002
Irún, Guipúzcoa - SPAIN
Visit site
Being the numismatics another of my passtimes, it's funny to realize how two hobbies can sometimes overlap themselves. Several years ago, I started to collect coins and medails with RR motives, as a particular case in my collection. Any of you are 'aficionado' to this or another type of railroadiana?

These are some examples that can be easily find in the numismatics shops (usually, they aren't expensive either! :D :D ).

Attachments

• monedas.jpg
    monedas.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 176

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
That, my friend, is a serious lid for the old brain pan. :thumb:

There was this time, some years back, when I built a G scale rendition of the Garden of Gethsemine, complete with the empty tomb and Mary kneeling before the Risen Jesus. I used a bunch of Woodland Scenics ground foam, lichen and rockwork made from acoustic ceiling tile. The coffee house kept it in their window for years, moving it only at Christmas to place the Nativity I built with balsa. Wish I had pics.

Roger Wellman

Feb 3, 2003
Delaware, Ohio
Visit site
Yes, the train does run on a track supplied in the box ... but I was pleased to learn that the train also fits my H-O track on my layout. But, because it is more of a "toy", I keep it in my computer room as a reminder of my layout in the basement. It was a gift from family, and has sentimental value from that standpoint.

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Dec 20, 2000
South Eastern, PA
mywebpages.comcast.net
Roger Wellman said:
Does anybody combine hobbies besides me? I have several hobbies, and several are incorporated into my layout (golf, etc) ... but this may be the first time I incorporated model railroading into another hobby. One of my other hobbies is square dancing. Over the weekend, our square dance club had its annual "Straw Hat Dance" and prizes were given to decorated straw hats ... and yes ... I HAD TO USE MODEL RAILROADING for my hat. I used a model of a model railroad for the brin, then made sign saying "TRACK tWO" ... which is a square dance call. The result ... first place! The question is ... has anyone else combined hobbies like this???

Roger, I like the hat so much, that I have added it & you :) to our Members "Pictures Page"

:D :D :D

Now, Trains take a huge amount of my collections.. Coins....License plates....and key rings. :) I have 4 train clocks, a train watch and a bunch of train postage stamps & Ruibber stamps. All these "Collections" are diversified to other genre such as Warner Brothers, planes Cars etc...

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Roger:
NMRA has a "Trains on Stamps" contest category, but I don't remember any entries.
I devise Scottish Country Dances, and my first one was called "62430 - Jingling Geordie" after a Scottish locomotive.
I made up a list once for the Platelayers' Ball -- all dances that had a railroady name (if you pushed a little).

jetrock

Dec 18, 2003
Visit site
Well, I suppose history counts as a hobby (as it's something I do for fun rather than getting paid for it)--since I model the city in which I live (Sacramento, CA) and I don't model the present day, I combine my hobby of researching local history and model railroading by trying to accurately (where I can) portray life in Sacramento in the 1950's by modeling prototype industries, commercial buildings, and neighborhoods. In places I have/will alter "reality" where practicality intervenes (the obvious selective compression/omission needed in any model railroad) as well as including a few touches of personal whimsy--but in general I am trying to capture the feel of a specific place, and utilizing my historical research to facilitate it.

Model railroading is a natural for those who like a diverse spread of hobbies--one can include electronics, painting, photography, model kit building, architecture, sculpting, research, machining, woodworking, railfanning, and plenty of other fields of endeavor. You could even include yoga, if your layout includes a lot of duck-unders!