Color of logging disconnects?

Locobreath

Apr 7, 2004
USA
Visit site
I have an old set of Micro-Trains (HO) disconnect log cars that I am planning to build. According to prototype what are appropriate colors for them?

For photographic reasons I'd like to stay away from solid black.

Thanks for any suggestions. :wave: :wave: :wave:

On most prototype pictures I know, the are gray or gray with a nice touch of sepia :lol:

In serious, logcars can be painted in different colors. The first criterion is the material of the car. Wooden cars can be stained in gray with a touch of brown to represent natural unpainted wood.

on30_skeleton_2.jpg

If you want to color, the Westside Lumber for example painted there skeletons in red-brown like the fright cars by the D&RGW.

Gerd

Locobreath

Apr 7, 2004
USA
Visit site
Thanks a lot to all.

I'm familiar with the reddish-brown wooden cars (WSL) but I forgot to mention mine are modeled on the riveted, steel-plate prototypes. :eek:ops: :eek:ops:

Is this any help?

Waldbahner: BTW/ Beautiful skeleton car. What gauge??

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
For the metal type, I would go with black. Add some brown rust here and there and maybe even bare shiney metal color where the logs would rub regularly, or maybe fresh rust (orange). You can lightly drybrush some light grey or white and bring out the details, like those lovely ribbets, to show in your photo's. I'm sure there was a logging company somewhere that painted them another color.

Locobreath

Apr 7, 2004
USA
Visit site
Thanks everyone.

The disconnect cars have a lot of rivet detail and the castings are intricate including very fancy brake wheels. That's why I don't want to hide all the goodies with black paint. The metal in the kit is already a flat black so I'll probably try my best to high -light what is already there. I don't know if they the manufacterer still makes this kit.

I'll upload some shots when it is finished.