Colonial Movers Thread Construction with Detailings and Some Improvements.

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Gomidefilho, Nov 17, 2007.

1. Gomidefilho

Gomidefilho Member

It is with pleasure that I present my new project of customization: The Colonial Movers ship of TV series Battlestar Galactica. This civil cargo ship is the next victim to extreme detailing as it was with the work developed in the Y Wing (to see: http://forum.zealot.com/t152639/ ):twisted:

The project in this case as in the previous one always goes keeping the philosophy of model of low cost but with the highest degree of finishing and possible allegiance considering the nature of the employed materials. As in the case of the Y Wing the assembly strategies they are the same ones, I printed three identical models all in paper opaline, each game in different thickness (180, 120 and 90g). We will mount the parts between paper the 180and 120g and will use rest of the others sets to compose salient panels or parts and elements that need a more evident 3D texturization 3D. The use of diverse materials as metal and wood also are being valid. :thumb:

The idea to building a highly detailed model of this ship is an old project, certain made I caught a MOD of the game Homeworld that had many ships of the old series and thought about making I myself a model of paper of said little ship. Then this topic appears in the Fórum: http://forum.zealot.com/t151556/ help In this topic appears a team of tallented people to unfold meshes of models of the two series and for cause of it an user of this fórum called Nothing dispatches by post a model of the Colonial Movers. This model here produced for Patrick York and repainted by the proper Nothing in this topic: http://forum.zealot.com/t135489/ (It also is available in the area of downloads of fórum). For me was a great incentive why this model was unaware of and it it is simply excellent, with high degree of finishing, in contrast of the Y Wing who I eat already we said was a model without revision. :mrgreen:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Images of the pilot movie of the original series and a model closed to the studio original, the objective is to arrive next possible to this.

We start obviously printing sets that they had consumed one hour and stocking of impression in photographic way in my Epson C-65 and tomorrow must initiate the assembly properly said...

[​IMG]
  2. Gomidefilho

Gomidefilho Member

I decided to start the work for the part more tedious: Six containers, somebody must be if asking: "tedious, if not glue?" is only rectangular; I explain: The problem is that containers is smooth and in the images of the movies and the model containers is all corrugated with diverse "ribs" and "strips" of reinforcement and the objective of our work at this moment and to building containers and to costumize exactly glue these "ribs" (straps) that probably they had arrived at some hundreds of set of 120g, since we use to make the parts paper 180g... :twisted:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I started constructing containers normally leaving only the face of the door without glue, in the photos vocês they can see a custom that I have to protect the models with a varnish layer in spray and to carry through a study with pencil colors to fill eventual white lines or edges

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In the photos vocês they see the start of the customization process well, in this first objective step was to improve the doors of containers and to add the central section of containers, that they had had its spotted edges of blue or black hidrocolor pen to enhance the depth. The doors had received similar treatment with the addition from small blots of black color to simulate whatering.

For the time being it is this that I have to show people I believe that in the next days already I have some thing to show on the detailing of containers...

Cheers from Brazil!

Péricles :wave:
  3. Gomidefilho

Gomidefilho Member

PS forgive Me my English poor person, are not post this of my house, have a small imperfection in the text where if it reads "vocês" is yours... :thumb:
  4. Master-Bruce

Master-Bruce Active Member

Great project!! Super detailing models is always great to see. I myself don't have the patience for it but it is good to see.

After seeing the Y-Wing I'm sure you'll do this justice. :)

I'll look forward to seeing more of this one. I was thinking of trying the same thing with the new Galactica when we actually get to it. I plan on adding actual 3D ribbing with the armour panels over that. Try to give the model more depth.

Keep the pics coming. :)
  5. Nothing

Nothing Longtime Member

this is great to see someone actually building it.thanks for starting tjis thread! when i built mine, i did it quick so people would see generally what it looked like.mine was too big so i dint have the interest of detailing it out. ill be following youre progress closly. youre off to great start1
  6. Master-Bruce

7. Gomidefilho

Gomidefilho Member

Container Customization part 1

Thank you people for the incentive words, are always a great incentive. :mrgreen:

In this stage I added the ribbons, strips and ribs of reinforcement of the "yellow" container that he has writing Colonial Movers. Why him? For to be that needs the ribs in the lateral the possible most necessary position for not destroying the textures. I added a relatively heavy whatering, however it helps a lot in the subject of offering depth to the group but that was deliberate, a poetic license to give a scrap charm. :thumb:

The work is tedious for they be many ribbons that need to be glue in a necessary way and they are more than a hundred components. And imagine that he still has more five containers. wall1 :p The only costumization detail the more than I added was a "pipe" done of wire in the inferior part.

But we are going the pictures...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

PS The whatering were made with color pencils and layout hidrocolor pen :thumb::wave:

Cheers
  8. jaffro

jaffro Long term member

Those containers are becoming a work of art all on their own... I loved what you did to the Y Wing and I love what you are doing to this... great stuff!!
  9. Paragon

Paragon Active Member

Heh, I was planning to do the exact same thing. I've got the parts all printed out, but they're sitting in the same pile they have been for about two or three months now. I imagine it'll be awhile before I get around to doing that...:rolleyes:

Great looking build so far Gomi! I certainly look forward to seeing the finished product! Also, how were you able to post more than six images....?
  10. Nothing

Nothing Longtime Member

just fabulous!after looking these over i promptly took the lighter to mine!
  11. Master-Bruce

Fantastic! Looks really great. :) Though I don't envy you, all those strips and bits would drive me mad!

I'm sure they will when I do this to the Galactica but it should be worth it.

Keep up the good work.
  12. Gomidefilho

Gomidefilho Member

Thank you friends!

The secret to accomplish a project of that nature is to have parallel works in other models and to plan the assembly, or be to do a calendar of what will be done and without a lot of hurry.:thumb:

That container was long exact three days to be done (working from one to two hours a day, considering the time of drying and study of whatering techniques).

All of the ships that Nothing, Skupilkinson and the other people are unfolding of BSG (TOS and TNG) I intend to do the same. To the end of that project the close should be Gemini Traveller or Celestra.

In relation to Galactica of TNG done by Jaybats as well as Pegasus is away an interesting challenge to use those on-position techniques with the size and weight is necessary to reinforce the model internally. The project of my vacations (in the summer of Brazil that begins in December) and to use the Galactica of Gearz to do the same thing, although this is a more ambitious project (it was between her and Star Destroyer). :mrgreen:

Paragon

I sincerely don't know what I did with the pictures, I just accommodate them in the photobucket and glue the tag IMG in the body of the text in the hour of posting the topics...

Cheers!

Péricles :wave:
  13. Master-Bruce

Sounds like a huge project in all then. I'd wait before doing the Galactica and Pegasus.

Don't take this the wrong way,Jaybats did a great job on his but we hope to improve slightly in new releases of both these ships. There'll be small and large versions. The large being ideal for this kind of customisation. Seeing this project actually inspired me to do this to me copy of the new Galactica when it's released.

I hope to add the ribbing and armor panels to give it more depth.

Look forward to seeing more of this. :)
  14. Master-Bruce

Hey, it's been a while. Have there been any develpoments with this great build?

I'm itching to see more.
  15. Gomidefilho

Gomidefilho Member

Skupilkinson

For the time being the progresses are small concluded just one more container, that time one of the blue with a moderate whatering, just to simulate dirt. It is that I am here a teacher in high school in Brazil and that time of the year is difficult why arrives at the end then the school period and the summer vacations will have more close time of Christmas. Oh the topic will be updated. :roll1:

But I already prepared a list of modifications or improvements among them:

• Structural reinforcement in the model;
    • Painting of panel lines (some are with razor borders);
    • Scracth of pieces no offered in the kit (container crane, antennas, external mechanisms);
    • General construction of the panels;
    • Whatering painting and painting of the engine module;
    • Stand building.

Well now the photos of the second container, this time with a more moderate whatering. Compare a container with the other... :thumb:

I chose in not showing the construction why she is exactly equal to the previous...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cheers!

:wave:
  16. Master-Bruce

Looks great. :) I can see the other containers in the background too.

Thanks for showing how it progresses. I've enjoyed watching this build so far.
  17. Gomidefilho

Gomidefilho Member

Retaking of the project

People!

After a long delay I am retaking the Colonial project Movers, I finished more two containers, that served as tests for some whatering techniques, one of the containers is with a heavy whatering and another moderated. I believe that more two weeks all ready and then I will add some details in the inferior part of each container... Made that will go for to rest of the ship...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  18. Nothing

Nothing Longtime Member

its great to see you back on this project! your doing a super job!
  19. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

great weathering!!! keep it up :)
    Chris
  20. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

Fantastic Job. this looks every bit as good, or better, than a styrene model. w00t!:thumb: