Colonial Landram from Battlestar Galactica

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I have studied several images of the BV 206 and found out that there are some cables running from the towing vehicle to the trailer. What's most interesting is, the shape of the back compartment where the cables emerge from the towing vehicle is similar to the back compartment of the Landram. So I guess the design would actually work! :)

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
The Russians have taken this to the extreme with their double track vehicles. This vehicles rear unit is carrying 50 tons!! :)

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
I have always admired Russian engineering. Sometimes, a faux pas, in the U.S., but i don't care, they make some really impressive stuff. Russia is a great country, I wish things would smooth out so we could have a huge block of normal people to counter the insanity that is taking place elsewhere, of which we, like Russia, are in reality, on the same page. IMHO :)

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
INDEED! Just imagine, despite all the great and successful missions from NASA, it seems that the US techs get more sophisticated and elaborate but they neglect the simple things. Everything is supposed to get faster, cheaper and "easier". However, no-one really knows how to operate the Saturn V any more (even though we still have two of them at our disposal). The Space Shuttle was decomissioned after 34 years. But the Soyuz has been flying since 1966 almost without pause and any major changes and catastrophies. And it continues. And continues. And continues. Russian technology. Solid, simple, efficient and sturdy. :)

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
True, to a point, but when you consider, some private citizens are making spaceships in our deserts, and have already docked them with the I.S.S., and that one of those, can carry 7 people, and will be launched with a year, it shows that we, the people, are making our way. We the people, do what whole governments cannot do. Just a tiny bit of flag waving, every bit true, however. Also, what we send into space is classified, and nobody knows what the XB-37 is doing up there, and there was supposedly a manned option for that. There is no way of knowing if that has flown or not. That's what they, those people are doing! :)

mid-aft-apas-x-37b.jpg

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Next year will see a major revision of the Landram design. I will fix the error on the turret shield (it is supposed to be attached to the turret itself and not to the rotating base). See you! :)

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
Next year will see a major revision of the Landram design. I will fix the error on the turret shield (it is supposed to be attached to the turret itself and not to the rotating base). See you! :)
Not only that, but you need to add seat to the turret as well.
Well, I guess I will wait to rebuild it after you have made the changes.

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Howdee, Colonial Paper Warriors! :)

Time for an update on this.

Since work on the Buck Rogers Land Rovers is as good as finished I'm returning to the Landram once again. As some of you might already know the turret design has a major flaw: The shield is fixed to the gunner station whereas it should have been connected to the turret to swivel along with it. The task is to change this in order to bring the model closer to the original prop vehicle. A start has been made:

landram-turret1.jpg landram-turret2.jpg

You see that the shield is now connected to the turret. Next will be finding a suitable swivel point and a new connection to the gunner station rotating circle. Stay tuned! :)

Rhaven Blaack

Staff member
Administrator
This looks good so far and I am looking forward to seeing the swivel point and how it will work.

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
This is a model I have worked on to show a different way of making tracks, and the method used on most of the vehicles used in these shows. I hope the picture is self explanatory, I hope to be able to finish this model and make it available, I have not put the wheel guides to keep the tracks centered yet. Strips of cloth could be used and the tracks glued to them. This would make them work and roll around quite easily, even made into a light weight R/C vehicle. ;)

Lavina ((There is a model of this out there, but it is too crude):

Lavina.jpg

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
BUMP!

landram-trailer2.jpg

A first try at the coupling. I suppose some of you thought it to look different. I examined the couplings on modern trailers closely. Julius Perdana's Hagglunds BV 206 has one that looks more like the real-world ones, however, that one is only applicable in a static display. Now imagine: The Landram is an all-terrain vehicle, so it does not necessarily drive on an even path. If you use a static coupling and put the Ram on a rocky or wavy path or in a corner you will be unable to pose it in a natural way. To avoid this the coupling must move in three directions and this is why it looks the way it does now. There are three swivel joints on each end which allow 30°-movement along the x-, y- and z-axis. I'm testing out the best position to attach it to the vehicles.

Rhaven Blaack

Staff member
Administrator
I like the coupling system that you are working on. I think that it will work.
I am looking forward to seeing how it turns out and the opportunity to build it along with the trailer.