Cold Solder - as advertised on TV

dwight77

Nov 30, 2004
n ft myers florida
I asked this question in N Gauge but no one has responded yet so I thought I would try here. I have seen a "cold solder" tool advertised on TV. It sells for $19.95. It is battery operated but shows that it only gets hot when actually soldering. When you are finished with the solder job, you can touch the end of the tool and it is cool. I was wondering if anyone has tried this tool when soldering track together. If it works, it would seem to make it a lot easier and possibly not have to worry about getting the track too hot and melting plastic ties etc. I just wanted to know if this was a viable tool?......or just another TV infomercial come on.

hminky

Oct 13, 2004
I have one. I like it for trackwork. The resistance soldering is really neat. It works well with Code 100 HO track, so should work well with N scale. The ties don't melt :thumb: . Also makes track feeders easier.
Hope that helps:D
Harold

SAL Comet

May 13, 2004
N.W. Georgia
dwight77 said:
Thanks Scott: quite informative. Looks promising. What part of N W Georgia are in. I have a daughter in Dahlonega.

dwight, I'm in Taylorsville, in Bartow Co. About 50 mi. west of Dahlonega

docsnavely

Sep 20, 2004
Zushi, Japan
My mom tried getting one for Christmas for me, but their website said they were on back order, and all of the auto parts stores were sold out. Instead I get a dremel. Not too bad of a switch if I do say so!:D

-doc

rrs517

Dec 30, 2004
Save Your Money

I bought a Cold Heat resistance soldering iron from Radio Shack Friday 12-31 and returned it today 1-2. It is a toy. There is NO WAY you can get 700 solders (would you believe maybe 20) out of a set of 4 AA batteries. It works pretty good for about 12 joints soldering #24 AWG to Code 100 rail - after that you need new batteries. Worse yet is that the tip appears to be made out of a fragile material that resembles the material used in powdered ferrite cores and it is VERY fragile. After about 20 solder joints and $5 worth of AA cells my tip was shot. Went back to my 100/140 Watt iron and did the rest - faster - better - cheaper. Joints take under 2 sec with no melted ties. Use a good liquid flux applied to a CLEAN rail, heat the gun well, and apply solder and in 2 sec you have a beautiful joint. Save your money - there is a reason that resistance soldering systems start around $250.
Richard

cyb0rg

Jan 1, 2005
I come from a long line of infomercial junkies. My mom has QVC on speed dial. I've purchased more than my fair share of stuff online, home shopping networks, and commercials. I've learned that there are two things you should avoid buying:

Tools and exercise equipment.

George Foreman Grill...love it. Had it for years, still works like a champ. I could name several things in just this room that I bought from TV. Every tool I've ever bought either A) Got returned within a week or B) Never worked like it was supposed to. Buy Craftsman. If it breaks, they replace it for free. Forever. You don't even need a reciept.

dwight77

Nov 30, 2004
n ft myers florida
Hi Richard(rrs517):
Thanks for the info on your experience. Did you read the link that Scott (SAL Comet) had above? http://www.the-gauge.com/showthread.php?t=11837 He had good luck wiring leds. Maybe the size of the application makes a big difference, wire versus track. Sounds like it may be time to let this one ride a bit, or come up with an economical tip replacement and the use of rechargeable batteries.
Dwight

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
This sounds like a great idea, but I wondered what the tip was made of the heat and cool that quickly. Could be some ceramic product, but none the less, even with rechargable batteries, you could be changing them out in no time flat.

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
I got one for Christmas. Quite frankly, my jury is still out. With a little practice it might do well but I agree with Richard, there's just nothing that beats a good hot iron, a clean joint and flux. I will keep trying for now. With two small children, the peace of mind alone is worth it.

Blake

Jul 19, 2002
Northern New Jersey
www.BlakeDTatar.com
This has answered the question for me. I wondered how long those batteries would last. Being that this tool is a resistance soldering iron, I would guess the tip is made of carbon. I have an American Beauty resistance soldering unit and built my own single probe tool from a cheap 25 watt cigarette lighter soldering iron (paid $6). For the probe I use a welding rod that is used for cutting. It is very soft and fragile.