Coffee table layout

clifftorn

Nov 8, 2007
I live in Roy, Utah
I've started a coffee table layout that is about 5' X 3' in size. I started by puting 1 X 4 strips together for a sub frame with a sheet of plywood roadbed that is 1/2" thick. I want to know if it would be better to have 1"X2" strips for the sub frame because of the weight of the layout. I've thought about cutting the 1X4s in half to accomplish that, since the layout is almost ready to finish. I found that it is a little heavy and wanted to make a nice furniture frame so it can be put into my living room. What does any else think?

N

nachoman

5x3 isn't very big, and in my opinion a 1/2" plywood base over a 1x2 frame should be more than rigid enough for a layout of that size.

Kevin

TrainNut

Ditat Deus
Sep 15, 2004
AZ
I've done a few coffee table layouts. See the examples in my signature. For all, I have used 1/2" plywood with 3/4 x 1 1/2 for my bracing.

PWRR-2207

Rogue Islander
Oct 3, 2007
Rhode Island, USA
If it is too 'chancy' to disassemble the assembly at this point to change the 1x4 to 1x2, you could try getting a 1.5" to 2" hole saw and remove some weight by perforating it sufficiently to maintain structural integrity...

htmagic

Dec 3, 2007
www.high-techmagic.com
You may want to try a product called GatorFoam or Gator board (Foam Board,* Self-stick boards, Gator, Mightycore Boards). I used the 3/16-inch thick material in T-track modules and it is so strong I can just about stand on a corner without breaking it (and I weigh over 200 lbs)! It is waterproof and strong. It is a foam core with a thin plywood laminate. I plan on using it for a base for my Scenic Ridge layout. :thumb:

Hope this helps and good luck!
MagicBill