Coffee Table Layout - Pics

bigdonnie

Oct 4, 2004
A couple of weeks back someone suggested I post some pics of the coffee table layout I'm building. So, with much trepidation (first time :mad: ), here's the first pic showing the control panel to give you a sense for the track plan ---

And several more --- I clearly have No idea what I'm doing here :eek:ops:

Attachments

• P1010030.JPG
    P1010030.JPG
    56.8 KB · Views: 675
  • P1010024.JPG
    P1010024.JPG
    66.9 KB · Views: 681
  • P1010025.JPG
    P1010025.JPG
    67.1 KB · Views: 673
  • P1010032.JPG
    P1010032.JPG
    65.4 KB · Views: 668
  • P1010035.JPG
    P1010035.JPG
    66.1 KB · Views: 668
F

Fred_M

Loooks great to me. Keep us posted with your progress. I wanna see this done. The wood work is fantastic, that bridge :thumb: That dirty ballast/track is cool. Fred

belg

Apr 28, 2001
New Jersey USA
Visit site
Donnie I think that your being waty to modest and your modeling skills are definately whats in question as I think you have done a very good job on all your building. Keep up the good work and show the results please ,Pat

bigdonnie

Oct 4, 2004
Thanks for the kind comments --- this is the first time anyone other than my family has seen this work in progress and its nice to hear from fellow modellers that I'm on the right track.

Ray --- good pick up! This is the East Broad Top from the 1970 ModelRailroader series of articles. One thing I am definitely NOT good at yet is layout planning --- when I decided to do a coffee table layout and stumbled across this plan, I just knew I had to build it! The table itself will be quite a bit different, however --- a hinged glass top for access to the layout itself and two drawers underneath for access to the wiring and storage.

Thanks again --- I'l update you as I move along.

sputnik

Sep 29, 2004
bluecreekrr.home.att.net
Yeah, with that trestlework for the top loop being a very unique item, I immediately recognized it from those articles. But there is certainly nothing wrong with that, you're doing it justice.

---jps

RailRon

Nov 23, 2002
Trimbach, Switzerland
Bigdonnie, your pictures show a masterpiece in the making!

If there is something you don't need, it is trepidation. You can show off your handiwork anywhere and anytime! :thumb:

Keep us posted by showing the progress of your layout!

Ron

jkinosh

Dec 1, 2005
Lorain, Ohio
Looks like a good work in progress. I was thinking about possibly a coffee table layout for my second layout, and am looking for any ideas I can find.

Would love to see some pics of the finished layout if you have any.

Jacob

TrainNut

Ditat Deus
Sep 15, 2004
AZ
Ray Marinaccio said:
It's been a while TrainNut. How have you been.
Hey Ray! Been good. I'm still around, I just prefer to lurk in the shadows and not say much. I finally got off my butt and joined the AMRS N scale division (right next to the Maricopa Live Steamers) where I have been taking a stab at getting some scenery on the layout.

extra7000south said:
Those were very nice TrainNut.....:thumb:

I'd love 2 see more pics of the 1 You kept.....:) :)
Well actually, I still have all three. The one that you did not see any pictures of was my first attempt and you can actually see it in the background of one of the pictures of the bigger one sitting in my living room. The bigger one by the way turned out so neat that my wife latched onto it and would not let me get rid of it. Anddddd, the round one is STILL up for sale as I had a buyer but he backed out (his wife did not approve). It just sits in my garage for lack of a better place to put it. I'm always on the lookout for a good table to put another set into but for now, I have to get rid of some of the ones I have to make room for new ones.