Coffee Table Ho and N Lay-out

waredbear

Mar 13, 2007
Spokane Valley, WA
Surprise #3

I didn't find out until I got home but there were seven more cars hiding under the cover of the lid to this set.

490716.JPG

490717.JPG

490718.JPG

waredbear

Mar 13, 2007
Spokane Valley, WA
Surprise #4

Then there was the box of goodies. I started laughing when I looked inside. He kind of looked at me and asked "what"? I picked up one of the Grey bridge pillars and told him that I was looking for these in the hobby shop when we met. Fortunately they didn't have any because you are giving me a bunch of them.

490719.JPG

and the bag of track...
490720.JPG

which is a combination of both HO and N.

The guy then turns and starts going through the HO box. I kind of look at him and he tells me that I can have it too.

That box contained....
these two dummy units with no back wheels.

490721.JPG

and these two powered units.

490722.JPG

These hold a special meaning because my very first train back when I was 7 or 8 was a Sante Fe unit. I told my wife that I would get another one.

waredbear

Mar 13, 2007
Spokane Valley, WA
Surprise #6

A couple of powerless trollies
490726.JPG

A pile of track
490728.JPG

Some rerailers and several left and right powered turn outs, and a couple of bridges.
490731.JPG

The bottom of the box holds a building, wooden trestle pieces, and a box of tiny people.
490729.JPG

waredbear

Mar 13, 2007
Spokane Valley, WA
Surprise #7

A close-up of the box of little people...green army men...oh yea!
490730.JPG

and lastly...whew...a RXR crossing with moving arms, lights, and a dinging building
490732.JPG

I load this up and then he asks if I would be interested in a 4x8 sheet of plywood that has some N track attached to it? Yes!! The track is mostly destroyed but it does have a couple of powered turn-outs, a rerailer, and a power input connection. There are also a bunch of power switches for the turn-outs a couple of power supplies, nails, track joiners, etc, etc, etc....

Overall...I think I did pretty good.

What do you think?

In His Service,:)
Reid

GN.2-6-8-0

May 25, 2006
Glendale AZ.
Makes me think back to the time i walked into my LHS and found a box of H.O stuff on the counter with a sign saying make a offer.
So I asked the owner of the store ....had known him for a number of years whats the highest bid so far? 25 bucks he says oh! says I....tell yeah what' I'll bump that up to 50 bucks.
See ol' Val was a master model ship builder , that was his passion, but didn't really pay to much attention to the model railroading crowd...few that we were. But i digress.
In that box....on the counter' was 1 PFM GN. O-8 brass Mike&tender 2 PFM brass GN.caboose's a brass water tower a brass water colume and some misc. junk.
long story short' got a call the next day.....you won...come get your box of stuff......WOOHOO!!!

P.S note my ID name

Cannonball

More Trains Than Brains
Dec 4, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
Holy cow what a free score! :thumb:
The two steamers are awesome!
I think if that had been me I probably would have drooled all over everything. :D

waredbear

Mar 13, 2007
Spokane Valley, WA
So how's the table coming?

I finished the layout in XTrkCad and ran some trains on it yesterday. It won't be much of a layout but I think it will be enough for what I'm wanting to do with it. I don't want any switches to deal with. I want to be able to turn it on and let it go . I had to work today so and I have a work day at the church tomorrow so it is not looking good for this weekend.

I'm debating on using 1/2" or 3/4" plywood for the base. I have a piece of 1/2 given to me with the boxes of free stuff that I can use. I question if it will be strong enough to hold the glass top and wood frame without bowing. Any ideas?

Cannonball said:
Holy cow what a free score! :thumb:
The two steamers are awesome!
I think if that had been me I probably would have drooled all over everything.

You have that right Cannonball. The two steamers were worth the time. Everything else was just icing on the track. I wasn't drooling but I was jumping up an down inside. I did let out a big YEHAW!!! when I drove off. :-D

In His Service, :-D
Reid