Code 55 track

beevee

My local club is having a clearout and they are disposing of an American based layout laid with code 55 track.

It hasn't been used for several years so nobody could remember whether the rolling stock had wheels 'as fitted' or they had to go for fine scale.

I have Proto 2000 locos and a variety of freight cars including some by IHC, Athearn and some older Bachmann. Will they be all right running on this code 55 track ?

Its a nice layout, with the size and design I want but if I am going to have to take it all up to relay it with something heavier ie code 75 then I will have to think again.

Any advice welcome.

doctorwayne

Why don't you take a couple of locos and a car or two to the club and try them out on the track. Even if you can't actually run anything, you should be able to push the locos and cars along the track and through a couple of turnouts. If your locos are okay with the code 55 track, you should be okay. You can always change wheelsets on any rolling stock that has problems with the low profile track, a much simpler and cheaper solution than replacing all of the track.

Wayne

cwwees

I built a couple layouts with code 55 track twenty years ago. NMRA RP-25 wheels run on code 55 just fine. Your IHC cars, from my memory, will not. Bachmann comes with RP-25, but I always found them to derail - took them out of my collection. The Athearn are just fine with code 55.

Charlie

nkp174

Is it hand laid or commercial?

A key dimension with normal track is where the frogs are filled in...as on Atlas brand turnouts (which those aren't since they're code 55). If the rail has been glued down, it'll handle almost anything.

beevee

It's commercial with live frog pointwork. Unfortunately the boards are hidden away in the back of the club shed and is hard to get to without removing everything else first.
We meet weekly so I will take some stock up there Friday and see how we get on.
I was just wondering how compatible code 55 was that was all as I haven't come across it before, normally building with code 75 or 100 where there is not any problem with the wheelsets.
If I need new wheelsets any suggestions as things like that tend to be a bit limited here in the UK
Thanks.

nkp174

beevee,
we typically use different rail than you do. Our typical sizes are 100 (the old HO standard...only appropriate for the Pennsylvania RR with its 155lb rail). Code 83 is the current standard (132lb rail, appropriate for modern mainlines and major transition era mainlines). Code 70 is a bit harder to find for HO, but common for older N scale if I recall correctly...scales to 110lb rail for HO (perfect for secondary mainlines like the Nickel Plate). Code 55 is about right for 90lb rail (if I recall correctly)...ideal for older or for branchlines...code 55 is the new standard in N-scale track. Code 40...I think that's 75lb rail in HO...nice for industrial sidings. Regardless, you shouldn't have any problem with code 55 so long as the frog is fabricated from two rails without a filler material to catch the flanges.

What sorts of American trains do you have for it? British trains too?

Triplex

Code 70 is a bit harder to find for HO, but common for older N scale if I recall correctly...scales to 110lb rail for HO (perfect for secondary mainlines like the Nickel Plate).
Code 80 was the old standard in N. However, as far as I know, 80 isn't and wasn't regularly used in any other scale.

beevee

I am modelling South American which is reality is North American locos and cars. As mentioned earlier I have Proto 2000 locos, some IHC, Athearn, and older Bachmann. I have also bought some Frateschi locos which are Brazilian models of GE diesel locos. I don't know whether they will be suitable, but as they have the same dimensions as the Protos it might just be a change of body if the wheels are not compatible with code 55.
The pointwork was scratchbuilt I believe and have no cast frogs and flanges.