code 100 or code 83 or both

BLVDBUZZARD

Dec 30, 2005
San Diego Kalifornia
I have settled on a track plan that fits what I want to do with my railroad. It is plan #62 Adirondack from the book 101 track plans. You can also see a small version of the picture at trainplayer.com.

I have 15 code 100 NS flex tracks, 21 code 100 NS #6 custom line turn outs already. I have had them for a long time. Now I have found code 83 track. It does look a little better then the large code 100. Is there any real operating differance between the two codes? Is it just for "looks" thing with the smaller code rails? Do the trains care one way or the other?

I have read about mixig them on a layout. Would you run the 100 on the mainand the 83 in the yard or the 100 where you could not see it up close and the 83 in the front of the layout just for looks?

Dru.

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Yes.

Just kidding...! If you have both, and you want to follow prototypical practice, you could use the code 100 on the main, and the code 83 in the sidings and yard.

If you like the look of the code 83 better, then use it in the visible areas, and the code 100 in hidden/staging tracks.

Andrew

BLVDBUZZARD

Dec 30, 2005
San Diego Kalifornia
To me, the look of the smaller rail, just looks better. If the code 83 worked better then I would go with that. After the code 100 is painted and balasted it looks good. So I know what I need to spend on track now.

Dru.

caellis

Jul 28, 2005
Mesa, AZ
If you already have locomotives check the flange height. This may help you decide on 83 or 100 code. If they are not RP25 then they may not run properly on code 83, especially the turnouts.
IHC engines have a problem with code 83. The exception is their new 2-10-2 Sante Fe that have RP-25 wheels/drivers.
Just a tip that may not apply unless you already have some older locos.

farmer ron

Jan 18, 2002
B.C., canada
Visit site
In the past I use to use code 100 peco switches as I had lots and could not afford to buy new ones, and 83 track. I also used code 70 for sidings and code 55 for dead end industrial tracks. Had no problems.. Now I make my own switches with code 83 &70, still use code 83 rail for mainline and 70 for sidings with code 55 for dead end tracks. I agree with caellis- put down some tracks of each code and check your engines and cars to make sure that they all opperate on it. Some of my old cars had the large flanges and would bump on the spikes, changed the weels and no more problems. Ron..