coal mine

I am new to the hobby but have built models all my life including remote control aircraft. I would like to scratch build a coal mine but I am not sure how they look/operate with the exception of some pictures I see on other people's layouts. Does anybody know where I could get a set of plans/details on how the old coal mines operated with respect to loading railroad hopper cars? This would be for a logging and mining layout my son and I are starting to build.

Thanks in advance.

babydot94513

Member in training
Sep 1, 2002
Brentwood, Ca
Visit site
Have you tried a university archives as a source for rail information on coal mining ops?

Being from California, we do not have any real coal mining industry but I am sure that some of the east coast states have tons of useful information that would be of benefit.

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Welcome aboard Terry! I don't know if you saw the thread titled "Pictures of modern coal mine" located on the second page of threads in the "Photography, Scenery, Books..." area. A couple of folks posted pictures of mines and a link to a coal mining history site.
Best of luck with the project!
Ralph

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Hi Terry and welcome to the gauge, here's a photo of a coalmine.
Shamus
wink.gif

Attachments

• coalmine.gif
    coalmine.gif
    49.8 KB · Views: 214

Wyomingite

Mar 16, 2002
Wyoming USA
Visit site
Hi Terry,

If you brouse thru the on line hobby shops you will find several very nice looking coal mines including the one Shamus shows. They will surely give you a good idea on how to scratch build one. As far as a modern coal mine the Walthers New River Mine is about as good as it gets as I worked in a modern coal mine for twenty years. As far as the equipment they operate go to a search and type in Coal mining in Gillette Wyoming as theres plenty of pictures there. Have fun Ron :)

Lighthorseman

Jul 24, 2002
Out in the sticks
Visit site
Coal Mines...

Coal mines are great modelling ideas because they can be so varied.

Here is a shot of a scratchbuilt version of the one Shamus posted, built by the Salmon Arm Model RR Club.

Attachments

• modifiedpolacoalmine.jpg
    modifiedpolacoalmine.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 188

justind

Jul 8, 2001
Provo, UT, USA
Curious

Just curious on how this mine functions as I have the similar kit...I see the lower tracks have shorter hoppers I am assuming for raw ore materials? and the upper rails with full-length hoppers are for the refined materials? Just a guess, but if someone could explain it to me I would be greatful.

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
Shamus, lighthoresman,
I haven't seen that pithead building since 1960. I built it with balsa sheet and strip, when the article came out in Oct.,Nov., and Dec. 1959. It was another one of Jack Work's projects, and was fun to build. The article appeared in Model railroader.

justind,
The building was a pit head building of a coal mine. Coal was separated out, and dropped to the lower building (upper track), where it was graded. The tailings continued out the upper building, and down the one chute into awaiting cars, to be hauled away and dumped. What you don't see was the hoist house, that brought the mine cars up to the top building to begin the process.
Pete