Coal Merchants....

Troy

Ive almost completed my "Ratio" Coal Merchants kit but havent attached the
rear drainpipes or weathered the concrete steps at the back yet. I have never used decals before and I ruined one of the two. I got
them onto the building ok but I decided to seal them in Testors Dullcote and the Dullcote caused the decal to bubble and dissolve. Luckily I didn't apply as much to the other side and it didnt dissolve but now the edges of the decal stand out more than ever and its all yellow and blistered. Arrgh! You can see it in the photo below...
I wonder if "Ratio & Wills" sell just the decals for their kits so I can have another go at it?
Anyway, here is a couple of pics....

Cheers,

Troy.

Attachments

• merchant1.jpg
    merchant1.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 179

davidstrains

Nice work. The photos of your work look fine. I like that little shed. I may need to find one of those for my engine yard.:) :)

Pooh Bah
Troy: what sort of Dullcote were you using, spray or brush? (I'm not sure if it makes a difference.) You now have a chance to try weathering on the end. I know their decals may react stangely to things like Solvaset. They also produce odd things like Pressfix (tm) and Methfix (tm) transfers.
David: Check the
BRMNA website (BritishRailway Modelers in North America for dealers over here who handle Ratio/Wills. I know the ones in Ontario, but there are some all over the U.S. as well,

CNR

I would try weathering on the ends of the building, to see if you can blend the decal in. Do keep in mind that it is a coal dealer, and as such, there would be a lot of coal dust floating about; the walls would likely be well streaked with it. In addition, the roof of the structure appears to be corrugated steel, and therefore, there would likely be some rust streaking from this as well.

Agatheron

My experience with Dullcote and decals have to do with the amount of moisture still present on the model when you apply the dullcote. If the decal has had a chance to fully dry and cure on the model, you shouldn't have much problem. BUT if you apply the decal, and then dullcote, even a few hours after applying it it could ruin the decal.

My suggestion is to apply the decals and weathering, and then let it sit for a day or two before applying the dullcote in a spray...

I may be a newbie to model railroading, but this is something I DO have expereince with in my other miniatures hobby. :)

Troy

Thanks everyone. The decal has settled in a bit better overnight and doesnt look too out of place now. I will weather both sides some more as suggested by CNR.

60103 asked what type I of Dullcote I used... It was the spray type...

And thanks Agatheron, I didnt leave it overnight before applying the Dullcote. It was more like 3-4hrs. I will know not to do that next time. The decals that I have applied successfully in the past have had atleast a night to cure before applying the Dullcote so that would explain why they worked without any problems.

Cheers,

Troy.