Coal Loads

Renovo PPR

Just a Farmer
Dec 23, 2006
Somerset County PA
Has anyone ever used real coal for coal loads on their layout? I bet it would work great since it is light and easy to ship into smaller pieces. And for sure it is cheaper than the store bought stuff.

bigsteel

Call me Mr.Tinkertrain
Dec 12, 2006
Cincinnati,Ohio
i plan on using live coal loads on my steel mill,but the only problems with it are coal getting in gears and screwing up track and controling spills because spills like on the poto happen alot.so be prepared to clean if your doing this.but my loads will be non prototypical since im not over the top of the hopper.--josh

bigsteel

Call me Mr.Tinkertrain
Dec 12, 2006
Cincinnati,Ohio
i forgot to ask,do you mean like glued in place if so it would probably work and the closest you could get look wise to an actaul coal load.but i have seen that done before.--josh

Renovo PPR

Just a Farmer
Dec 23, 2006
Somerset County PA
[FONT=&quot]I thought I would try and use anthracite since it is a harder coal. Then I would spray it with a clear sealer to help keep it cleaner. My thoughts are to load the coal cars full with the coal. Actually rice coal just might be the correct size.[/FONT]

JR&Son

Dec 26, 2006
Near the NCVA RR
I attempted small charcoal
Failed badly
Could not get enough clear paint on it to keep it in
Could not get the glue clear enough that I was happy with it.
I gave up and used a product by Chooch Enterprises
Website stinks
http://www.choochenterprises.com/index.html
The stuff looks very good, to bad I cant find any of it online.
Is available in at least 12 different sizes'
Pokeyfinger has not been able to dislodge the stuff (so far)
Im happy.

JR&SON

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
While I've not used real coal for hopper loads, I have used real coke. The stuff that I used is called coke breeze, and it's the "fines" from coke-making. It's not too heavy, but is quite dirty, with lots of dust. I sifted mine to get only the smaller particles, although real coal is shipped in several different sizes, depending on its intended use. I'm currently using it in my steam loco tenders, but some also moves in hoppers. I probably have enough of it to do only one 12 car train, though.
2007-01-10_5171.jpg

2007-01-10_5212.jpg

2007-01-10_5161.jpg

By using it loose in the bunkers, it's easy to depict a loco either at the start of its run, or later in the journey, when part or most of the load has been used up.
I also use some of it in hoppers, particularily if they're going to be spotted at the coaling tower:
2007-01-10_1991.jpg

Here's an aerial view of coke breeze in a hopper.
2007-01-10_5061.jpg

This car, also partially visible in the previous photo, is loaded with locomotive traction grit, used in place of sand for the locomotives at the steel plant where I used to work. It is quite dust-free, although some of the particles are slightly magnetic. It is also quite dense: this loaded Athearn 34' hopper weighs 8 ounces. The shiny quality of this material simulates Athracite better than the coke breeze, but, as far as I know, this is the only size available. I have enough of this stuff for several trains.
2007-01-10_5051.jpg

All of the loads shown are loose, and haven't caused any problems, although a loaded coal train will need adequate power to move it over the division. Your trackwork should be decent, (a good idea for any trains );) your rolling stock in good repair, and your operating speeds prototypical. The last spill occurred when my grandson was running a train: the loco and tender, running light, went through a switch lined the wrong way, and both ended up on their sides in a field, dumping coke breeze onto the scenic ground cover. I used a soft 1" brush to sweep most of the spillage onto a sheet of paper, for re-use. The rest was left at the scene, although I'll probably vacuum it up next time I'm vacuuming the layout room. The switchman responsible for the derailment shall remain nameless. :eek:ops:
When loading hoppers, I do it either with the cars in the staging yard, or individually, in my hand. I use a paper cup, as it's easy to form a pouring spout by squeezing the cup. To empty the cars, I just pick 'em up and dump the load back into the proper container. In my opinion, the main drawback of one-piece removeable loads is that they eventually become dusty (household dust) and then look less-than-convincing.
In the photo below, the stuff in the truck is traction grit (loose), while the pile partially visible at left is the same stuff, glued in place.
2007-01-10_564.jpg

Wayne