cnw1961 challenge #1

Nazgul

Kurt, that is beautiful!!! That little jewel may ruin you for all production rolling stock forever! Great job.........I'll just go back to my rickety ol' plastic cars...and try to make do...(sob...sob)...don't worry about me.................I'll be o.k.

cnw1961

Chessie, thank you. Steve, glad to hear you’ll be o.k., stop sobbing :) :) . When your layout allows you to spend some time to model something else, you should give such a car a try. With the modeling skills you show on your layout, it won’t be a problem.

cnw1961

After installing a K-brake (Tichy #3005), the car is ready for painting now. I hope, I didn’t forget any important detail. I will paint the car box car red (what a surprise :D ). I still don’t know how to paint the underframe and the brake gear at the bottom of the car. In some pics of these boxcars, the color of the brake cylinder is grey (or faded black). Unfortunately it is not possible to determine the color of the underframe. Does anyone know how these parts were painted on the prototypes? Or was box car red used for the whole car?

Boxcar31.jpg

Boxcar35.jpg

Hallo Kurt,

fine modeling job that you do! I'm surprised how your model grows in what for a short time. Let see us the finished model!

And because you have written before - "I don’t think it is too difficult to build this car, but it takes a lot of time" - my modeling job goes since more than one year and will need 8 or ten months more. Look my thread http://www.the-gauge.com/showthread.php?t=16356 here.

Beste Gruesse aus Dresden und gutes Gelingen!
Bernhard

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Kurt,

The boxcars of this era at the Smiths Falls Railway Museum (www.sfrmeo.ca) are all boxcar red - underframes and everything. I think this is because the red oxide coloured paint was cheap and plentiful. The black/grime colour maybe comes from the unfinished colour of the metal used in the parts, and/or from the lubrication/dirt/dust/grime that collected over the years.

Go to the site and click on the collection link. There's three or four outside braced boxcar/old caboose pictures, a couple with reasonable detail of the underside.

Andrew

cnw1961

Hallo Bernhard, danke für Dein Lob und Deine Grüße. I already found your thread some time ago. I must admit that I was tempted to build one of those cars, they are marvellous! Unfortunately, they are too old for the era I model. Two factors might speed up my project compared to yours. First, the use of styrene for the metal parts and the body of the car. Second, I am not the most patient guy. Once I start a project like that, I have to go on. But I still think,that building rolling stock takes a lot of time, compared to building structures.
Andrew, thank you for your information on color and the link. It really helps a lot.
Lynn, thank you once again. As I said at the beginning of the thread, this is my first attempt to build a freight car, and I found out, that I really enjoy doing it. It adds a new aspect to the hobby. Perhaps you should give it a try, I don’t think it is too difficult. You’ll never know what you can do until you do it. :)

cnw1961

Yesterday I painted the car. I tried not to give it a solid coat of paint to make the paint look worn and faded. This led me to change my mind concerning decals. I want to use some Woodland Scenics dry transfer decals instead of Microscale decals now. To use Microscale decals means two more coats of clear paint. I fear it would make the wooden sides look like they were made of plastic.

Boxcar36.jpg

ezdays

Out AZ way
Wow!!! That is absolutely awe-inspiring. Great work. :thumb: I agree with your paint theory, too much is not a good thing.

Looks very, very well!!!
I'm very impressed to get such an excellent looking model with a relatively small work. Congratulation again!

Bernhard

cnw1961

Thank you for your nice words. Jim, I gave it a light coat of paint using my airbrush, then I diluted the paint even more and applied it with a paintbrush. Here is another pic, I hope it is not getting too boring.

Boxcar38.jpg

Nazgul

Kurt,
That is truly an impressive car. I know that took a lot of patience (not to mention steady hands!). I love to see the step by step process involved. It takes the mystery out of it and is a great learning experience. Thank You. This contest...IS A WINNER!

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Kurt,

Very, very nice work! :thumb: :thumb:

Just to reassure you of the paint, I found my oldest Model Railroader (Feb 1946, when it was called The Model Railroader), and it had paint schemes for Wabash... Here is the paint scheme for all freight cars, except gondolas (black) and hoppers (also black):

Metal Ends: Oxide Red
Wood Ends: Oxide Red
Sides: Oxide Red
Doors: Oxide Red
Truck frames: Oxide Red
Underside: Oxide Red

I kid you not - that's how it was listed ;)

Hope that helps.

Andrew

cnw1961

Thank you for your nice words once again. I started this as an attempt to see, if it is possible to scratch build a decent freight car and how it would turn out compared to production rolling stock. I must admit, it looks much better than I expected and I don’t like my Accurail wood bocars as much as I did before. Fortunately the part I like least (painting), turned out to be very easy, simply oxide red. Andrew, thank you very much for your help. It’s good to know that I got it right.

steamhead

Hi,

I've following your progress since you started, and I must say, it's a jawdropper!! I figured you'd end up with just another boxcar, but this is craftmanship level!! Great job!!

Gus (LC&P).