CNR Prototype Resource

DeaconF

May 2, 2003
Owen Sound Ontario Canada
Visit site
Proto vs Model

I love this forum. Great stuff. I have one of those questions. some steam engines (CP 2816) for example have a gizmo on top of the bloiler in front of the stack. It is usually round and I think it is some kind of compressor or something. I have a lot of CNR steamers so my next purchase has to be something with that gizmo. Can you tell me what it's called and if you know who makes an HO scale model. thanks again guys Frank

railwaybob

Jun 15, 2003
Ottawa, Ont
www.railwaybob.com
The gizmo is an Elesco feedwater-heater. This pre-heats the water before being injected into the boiler. It made the steam locomotives more efficient in their use of coal or oil.

There are different types of feedwater-heaters. The Elesco seemed to be a "trademark" of the larger Canadian National locomotives. CP used a number of other different types. Another type was one that was mounted on the from of the smoke-box around the headlight.

DeaconF

May 2, 2003
Owen Sound Ontario Canada
Visit site
thanks

thanks for the info bob. Now all I have to do is find a model. One other posibility is to add a Feedwater Heater to one I have. 2 quick things - When you say larger loco's - how large? and do you know of a scratch building supplier that lists these heaters? thanks Frank

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
The CNcyclopedia is found at CNLines.

Canadian Branchline Miniatures is the home page of Ian Wilson, who has written the ever-expanding series on CN steam in 1950s Ontario. While there is limited info there, Ian's books are a worthwhile purchase for any steam era CN-enthusiast or modeller.

The CN Photo Collection is handled (I believe) by the Canadian Museum of Science and Technology, although they also have this collection which makes things a little confusing.

The Smiths Falls Railway Museum has a number of CN and Canadian Northern items, including a 4-6-0 and a number of cars on site.

Andrew

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Great links Andrew!!!! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Having bought Ian's book Under Steam to Stratford (the Allendale one is sold out) I can say that it is an excellent resource, with trackplans of every station stop and detailed information about consists. I wish I had it when I was planning my layout.

Val