CN passenger help please

Relic

Nov 6, 2005
Nova Scotia
no I don't need passengers right now but could use some advice about my cars. I bought 4 Riverossi (sp) CN passenger cars at a show. I actually got 'em because they were the right colour ( I'm doin' mid 60's) but when I put them on the track they'er way too long, they might be corect but they bother me. one thing is they have horn/hook couplers on loooong shafts that are part of the truck and they have some serious swing on curves .there is no problem with derailing. My question is...should I put body mounted knuckle couplers on OR should I junk 'em and get shorter cars AND if "B" is the answer what would you sudjest for replacements??? thanks in advance

stuart_canada

Feb 12, 2005
they do make various couplers for these cars, kadee makes them and so does Mchenry.
they are not very close in detail or correct being models of CN cars ( i have a set too) but they do make nice looking models for the uneducated.
i would keep them and re do the couplers.

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
You should be able to drop standard Kadees (#5) into the pocket at the end of the "tongue". That is what I did with my Athearn CN heavyweights and they work fine (although the wheelsets were all out of gauge!).

If the couplers actually incorporate that long shaft, then Stuart is correct that McHenry makes that style - I think they go all the way back to the bolster to attach (?).

Andrew

jim currie

Jun 29, 2003
arizona
Visit site
unless your running large 36 inch plus curves body mounting is out.if the mide is correct the KaDee # is 505 for the heavyweights. Roundhouse(MDC)use to make 60 ft Harriman style cars (but alas there no more:( ).

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
If these are the grey and black smooth-sided cars (Rivarossi calls them 1930s cars), then use the Kadee #508 conversion bolsters. These maintain the Talgo-style mounting that comes with the car, but allow for closer coupling with Kadee couplers. If you're not having problems with derailments, these should work fine. Their installation requires a slight modification to the trucks, but nothing difficult. If you go this route, you'll also need to replace the wheelsets with Kadee 36" passenger car wheelsets, in order to maintain proper coupler height. The cars will also track better with some additional weight. As Jim notes, body mounting the couplers is an option only if you have wide (at least 36") radius curves. If you're looking for a similar style of car, but shorter, check out Concor. My Walthers catalogue, 2005 edition, shows a complete train consisting of baggage, rpo, coach, diner, sleeper, vista dome, and observation, all 72 footers, about the same length as the Athearn heavyweights. Unfortunately for you, the CNR version is in the green and black paint scheme, although they also offer the same cars painted for VIA, and undecorated versions are available. Interestingly, the baggage car is patterned after CNR baggage cars built by National Steel Car, in Hamilton, Ontario, and is a very good representation. These cars also have Talgo-style couplers: if you want to convert them to Kadees, use the #508 conversion bolsters. The wheelsets are metal and do not require replacement.

Wayne

Relic

Nov 6, 2005
Nova Scotia
Thanks a bunch you folks jumped right in there like I knew you would.The main problem I have with these cars is that they are so long (about 85 ft.) they dwarf the F unit I'm haulin' em with and because I only have the 4 cars it looks weird running an A B set. Otherwise they track fine and look ok except for being kinda far apart .I left the one F with HH couplers for these cars thanhs again f

Burnsracing

Sep 21, 2006
Riverossi trucks require special couplers

Relic said:
no I don't need passengers right now but could use some advice about my cars. I bought 4 Riverossi (sp) CN passenger cars at a show. I actually got 'em because they were the right colour ( I'm doin' mid 60's) but when I put them on the track they'er way too long, they might be corect but they bother me. one thing is they have horn/hook couplers on loooong shafts that are part of the truck and they have some serious swing on curves .there is no problem with derailing. My question is...should I put body mounted knuckle couplers on OR should I junk 'em and get shorter cars AND if "B" is the answer what would you sudjest for replacements??? thanks in advance
Buy yourself some McHenry MCH-52 couplers for about $3.99 for two pair. Carefully remove the hook horn couplers from the trucks and simply slip in the Mchenry MCH-52 replacements. If you want to stay with Kadee, Use Kadee #508 couplers. They require a little modification of your trucks but the will work if installed exactly as the Kadee sheet instructs.
Burnsracing, Titusville, Fl.

Burnsracing

Sep 21, 2006
If you decide to trash the cars, let me know, I need more for my consist.
Burnsracing, Titusville,Fl.

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Relic said:
Thanks a bunch you folks jumped right in there like I knew you would.The main problem I have with these cars is that they are so long (about 85 ft.) they dwarf the F unit I'm haulin' em with and because I only have the 4 cars it looks weird running an A B set. Otherwise they track fine and look ok except for being kinda far apart .I left the one F with HH couplers for these cars thanhs again f

How about putting a mail car or express baggage between the loco and the passenger cars? Or even a couple of freight cars for a mixed train?

Val

Relic

Nov 6, 2005
Nova Scotia
Wow man that's scary Spitfire! Thats what I did, I have a short baggage car that I put on the head end (where it goes ha)and Istill don't like the look. I'm goin to a couple of shows(one in truro one on Dartmouth, hope the price of gas stays down ) and hope to find some shorter cars. wish me luck.
Thanks for the help you guys.
Burnsracing, I might take y' up on that