cn/chessie lashup?

alcuin

I've tried every conceivable google search, but I can't find the answer to my question. Would it have been possible to find a Canadian National unit and a Chessie System unit together in a lashup? I have two units that I'd like to run together on my layout, but I'd be happier if I knew it to be "prototypical" first.

railohio

Certainly is possible and probably did happen on occasion, but it wasn't common. It would've been more likely in more recent times, for sure, as Chessie power was starting to disappear. The last Chessie painted locomotives were purged from the CSX roster a couple years ago.

~BS

Biased turkey

alcuin , I'm modeling the Canadien National and I've never seen such a lashup.
I would suggest to ask the question on The Real Thing - Canada subforum.
I'm quite sure you'll get a reply soon.
But I've seen this ( just once ) on the CN track down the road here in Montreal:

Jacques

IC1.jpg

IC6034.jpg

alcuin

Great photos Jacques! I remember driving home from Quebec City back in the 80's and seeing a CN unit just like that one.

train1

That OP Lifesaver I/C Unit runs past my house almost weekly.
I have also seen a few CSX and CN unit lash ups, as well as BNSF, SF, UP all with CN power. Like it was mentioned - it's your railroad.

brakie

Speaking as a former C&O/Chessie brakeman the answer will depend on what division and which road.
First thing you must remember is NONE of the Chessie roads was merged under the Chessie banner.So,it may not happen on the Chessie(C&O) but,it could have taken place on the Chessie(B&O).
However in the 70s it would have been a oddity since it wasn't as common back then as it is today.

Squidbait

Recovering ALCO-holic
Whups.... sorry... you said Chessie, not CSX. Chessie units were leased by CP from time to time, but I'm not sure that they were on CN - or vice-versa, for that matter.

I'll ask around, and get back to you.

Squidbait

Recovering ALCO-holic
OK, a quick search led me to this picture of the Sunset Limited on the Santa Fe in Texas. In the background is a freight with a CN unit leading 2 Chessie units. The year was 1979.

brakie

To my old eyes those "chessie" units look more like UP units as the top of the hood appears gray instead of blue and the frame and fuel tank appears gray as well..

Squidbait

Recovering ALCO-holic
To my old eyes those "chessie" units look more like UP units as the top of the hood appears gray instead of blue and the frame and fuel tank appears gray as well..

It's a little tough to tell from the picture, since the hood stripe is only one pixel thick, and the fuel tank is about 3... but if I blow it up, I see what looks to be a thicker band of crimson than the UP red stripe.

I'll take it on faith, since the guy was standing there taking the pic, and presumably after the SSL cleared, the freight proceeded past him.

brakie

It's a little tough to tell from the picture, since the hood stripe is only one pixel thick, and the fuel tank is about 3... but if I blow it up, I see what looks to be a thicker band of crimson than the UP red stripe.

I'll take it on faith, since the guy was standing there taking the pic, and presumably after the SSL cleared, the freight proceeded past him.

I chopped and hack that picture on another computer that has all the fancy bells and whistles and the units does appear to be Chessie GP40-2s.

Triplex

I suspect that CN units on lease to the Chessie roads were more common than vice versa. I know that CN leased units to Conrail after startup, because Conrail was power-short and CN wasn't.

But yes, I have seen many more photos of Chessie and CP units together, near the border in the east. And Conrail in the same areas on both sides as well.