Cn 2228 ?

Biased turkey

I took that pic last week in Montreal. The leading engine is the CN 2228.
It's not in the CN roster at
CN Locomotives - Active - CN Lines SIG

It's a 6 axles engine but obviously not from the SD family

Could someone please tell me what model it is ?
Tia
Dawn.jpg

And there was that GTW boxcar too. I like to see GTW rolling stock
GTW.jpg

Triplex

Looks like an ES44DC. The engine following it is a C44-9W. (Notice the difference in the thickness of the radiator "wings".)

Biased turkey

Thanks for the information Triplex.
It looks like the CN roster hasn't been updated since last year. That explains why I couldn't find that specific engine.
Now with the engine # and model # I have more info to do some googling.
Those radiator wings are quite impressive and a distinctive feature of that model.

Triplex

Actually, the ES40DC and ES44AC (the other current GE models) look nearly identical. CN doesn't have those, though.

The Evolution Series ES44DC and the ES44AC are General Electric's newest heavy-haul freight locomotive. The only difference between the two is direct current (ES44DC) and alternating current (ES44AC) that is generated to run the traction motors.

ES - Evolution Series
44 - 4,400 horsepower
AC - Alternating Current
DC - Direct Current

The diesel engine runs on 12 cylinders as compared to 16 cylinders in other locos and is designed to use 315,000 fewer gallons of fuel over its lifetime. It met the US EPA emissions standards 3 years ahead of time. GE has a major problem - it can't produce the ES44AC/DC fast enough.

Starting with the predecessor AC4400 (alternating current sister to the C44-9W), CP has gone entirely AC with their new locomotives. This is a technology that has been long established in Europe and was only recently introduced to North America by GE.

EMD has an equivalent AC loco - the SD90MAC. However, they're encountering fierce competition from GE as most railways are going with GE. You get-one stop shopping from GE - locomotive, financing, and maintenance.

For more info on GE's locomotive offerings, click on this link.
GE Transportation - North America : Products : Locomotive Products

Bob M.

Triplex

EMD has an equivalent AC loco - the SD90MAC.
EMD no longer makes 90's. The equivalents of the ES40/44DC and ES44AC are the SD70M-2 and SD70ACe. CN has SD70M-2s; they avoid AC power.