Clubs and Clinics...

Sir_Prize

Mar 4, 2001
Port Charlotte,Florida
Visit site
Hey All;
Just got done with the first class/clinic at the club I'm at. A few months back the leadership brought up the idea of having 'classes' each 3rd Thursday of the month. During which a club member would instruct on how they do something in modelrailroading. Each clinic is readied a month ahead; so the instructor has time to gather materials, hand-outs, etc. (AT LEAST SO FAR [[Big Grin]] ) Soooo... My questions are--- Any of your clubs do this? If so what things has your club covered? Any suggestions? I would like INPUT! (hee... Short Curcuit humor there)
Now the track is yours...

P.S.-- This didn't seem to be a club announcment item. I could be wrong though. (Seldom am, but still):p :rolleyes:

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
Ken,
The club I belong to doesn't do this, but it is an idea with more than just a little merit. We all like to think we can do it all, but in reality, club members each have different abilities, and the sharing of the "how to's" has to help the club be more productive.
I, for one could use some help on trackwork, turnout building, weathering, turnout control. I am always looking for better ways to do scenery, like a quick, easy way to build realistic HO scale willow trees, and I really need to improve modeling water. Still water, running water, wild water.
I also don't know a whole lot about signaling.
If "number five" wants input, start with room preparation, and go through benchwork,roadbed,landforming,rock detail,vegetation detail,rolling stock, industries,housing,
locomotives, painting,weathering,lettering,etc.etc.etc...........
Somebody in the club knows how, somebody in the club needs to learn. The ones who know, teach the ones who don't. The best of luck to you and your fellow club members.
Pete

Although not exactly a club, our NMRA division has two to three clinics at each of our Meets (open to the public). I can say that I personally have learned something I didn't know at every clinic I have attended.

I highly recommend an effort like this. Not only do the attendees learn, but many times the presenter gets a lot out of it as well.

Roger

Roger Hensley – madisonrails@railfan.net
== http://madisonrails.railfan.net/ ==
== Railroads of Madison County (Indiana) ==

Sir_Prize

Mar 4, 2001
Port Charlotte,Florida
Visit site
Keep the posts coming--
By the way I ain't teach'n the classes. I'm just the coordinator. The guy they blame if the class is lame:rolleyes: . I'm one of the students, 'cause I don' know nut'n 'bout this. Welllll... I do, just never physically done any of it.
What the club does is suggest a topic, and I find the person to 'teach' it; or A cluber :)confused: ) comes to me an says they want to share such-an-such; I sched'em an wait to see who signs up. What IS neat is that it means members will know what can be, should be, and how-to do things. Hence a layout(s) that has cooks that all know the meal, and what courses their best at. Hmmm... now I'm hungery.:D :p

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Our club has never had this on a regular basis, but we get occasional discussions and demonstrations.

We had someone from a hobby shop come in and tell us about DCC, including showing us the products and the sets, and discussing how it all fits together.

We had a forum on ballast, including a presentation on the prototype and discussion of modelling techniques.

One of our members described making molds and doing metal casting of figures and small parts. (this included a demonstration of slitting your wrist with a screwdriver -- very educational!)

If all else fails, we ask our members to bring examples of their modelling and talk about them.

Sir_Prize

Mar 4, 2001
Port Charlotte,Florida
Visit site
David;
Sounds like your club had "unstructured" classes. :D
As far as the accident at the molding demo; isn't it true we all put some blood (cuts), sweat(fear of it not working), and tears (crying in frustration) into our work. ;) :D