Close up test

Greg Elems

Dec 19, 2002
Reno Nevada
Visit site
I shot this in natural light today. I wanted to see how my close-up setting would work. Usually I have been using with the flash and indoor light. I'm happy with the results and nothing beats the sun for a light source.

Attachments

• am ssw42598 bend.jpg
    am ssw42598 bend.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 113

Zug

Sep 16, 2003
www.zugdcc.com
Looks good!

For me I've found the using existing lighting works better for closeups, the flash on my Fuji A200 isn't really meant for tight work.

Take a look in the N scale forum of the photo I posted there with the subject "a place to sleep"

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
Look good, Greg! If your camera does not offer manual exposure settings, the brighter natural sunlight may help force a better depth of field.

If you find yourself needing to use a flash in macro work, there's a cheap trick you can do to get even lighting. Flash exposures are always a little sketchy, but I've had pretty good luck with this most of the time.

You need a strobe that can be used off camera. If you don't have one that can be connected with a cable, you can get a cheap one that just fires when it sees another strobe fire. Then the on-camera strobe will trigger it.

You need a milky white plastic container considerably larger than the subject. Like an ice cream container or your wife's favorite tupperware. Set it over the subject inverted, with a large hole cut in botton. Place the strobe on the floor on one side if the tupperware. It may help to tape some foil on the inside, opposite the strobe. Let the camera autoexpose. The idea is the light travels through the plastic, and it acts like a ring flash. if there is enough material left above the subject after cutting the hole, the on camera flash may not be needed.

That is the method I used for the photo's in this thread. If you don't have manual exposure control, this might be a good alternative to the floodlight method.