Close Up On "Shiney, Faceless People"

Drew1125

We've been talking a little about how getting up close on our scale figures kind of brings out some unrealistic characteristics in them...I thought I would show an example of this with this extreme close-up of a couple of workers on the dock at Leigh Foods.
To put some perspective on this, it's N scale, & this entire scene isn't much bigger than my thumbnail.

Attachments

• mvc-024f.jpg
    mvc-024f.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 158

shamus

Registered Member
Hi Charlie, great looking scene and very close for N-scale.
Here is a pair of my H0 lads all at work on my logging layout.

Attachments

• close.jpg
    close.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 155

Drew1125

Wow Shamus!
They're not shiney or faceless!
Woodie was kinda ridin' me about my guys not having faces, but I thought...with the size that an N scale eye, nose, or mouth wouls have to be...why bother? I have a hard enougth time painting their little shoes & hats!!:rolleyes:
Anyway, thanks...I thought the scene held up pretty good on "close" examination!:) I did notice the spot on the window glazing, & the chinks in the styrene floor that I can't see withyout magnification. But hey, it's a big ol' busy factory, & it's bound to have some rough spots right?

roryglasgow

Not only do they have faces, painted eyes and are not shiny, but the guy on the left has a crease in his pants! Even lumberjacks need to be well dressed, I suppose.

"I'm a lumberjack and I'm OK, I sleep all night and I work all day!
My face is painted, my nose is real, and my pants are nicely creased. I've got shoes, a pickaxe, too, and I'm shiny not in the least!"

-Rory

Woodie

lumberjacks!

Yes Rory, where is that lumber jack? If he's the one that dresses in womens clothing, wears high heels, suspenders and a bra. That's the one I want. For the unmentionable for the washing on my clothes line!

roryglasgow

Well, I thought it was appropriate since the lumberjack in the photo above is from the UK, and so was the one who originally sung that song! :)

-Rory (ni!)

Pooh Bah
Charlie and Shamus:

If nothing else, you guys are brave! I wouldn't want my modelling exposed like that. Mine's not at that level yet.

Apparently, the late John Allen took a photo of a friend's locomotive, blew it up many times, and said "Every place you can look at the photograph and can tell it's a model is an opportunity to improve your skills."

Or maybe to get rid of your camera.

Drew1125

Hi David!
I agree with you that the camera reveals things that I wouldn't necessarily see otherwise. (good and bad) However I don't think that any facet of my own modeling would stand up to the kind of scrutiny you spoke of. You see, I'm a half blind guy in his 40's modeling in N scale, so I have to have somewhat of a "that's good enough" philosophy. This is, after all, model railroading, & there's no way I'm going to convince anyone that it's anything but a model.
I was just having some fun with the camera, & regardless of how much, or how little my modeling skills improve, I'm not getting rid of the camera! :)

Charlie
Your picture is great, and the model being N scale is super.
I bet that seen from two feet or more away it looks perfect.
The only fault I can see is you didn't use bellows on the camera, if you had we would see "Gauge Ind" on the crates!:) .
How about a re-take???? :D

Errol