climbing, inclines

jeremy2017

Nov 1, 2002
Visit site
so far, my layout has been flat, 2D. But I have come up with the Idea to run some track from the other side of the room where my yard will be but i run into a problem, the train table and the self where the yard is are at two different heights. what is a good ratio for an HO locomotive with a load of cars behind it?

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com

When I saw Shamus runs his locos up steep grades, I asked how well it worked and got the obviouse answer: try it :)

What they really said was to get what I want to run on my test track and tip up one end to simulate the incline.

A lot of people, NMRA inclusive, will tell you that you can't [reliably] go over 2 or 3 %. You can round off 2% to an inch every eight feet. I guess if you can't "try it" you should go for the 2%, but that sure seems to me like the slow way to get somewhere :D :D :D

I found you can greatly increase the grade by adding more engines, adding more weight, or using momentum to you advantage. I also found it takes a heck of a lot longer to stop a train when it's coming down a 10% grade!

NYCentral

Aug 29, 2002
Albany, NY
Visit site
I have a few 3% grades for my mainline, but on my logging line, I am planning a number of 4-7% grades. Alot depends on what you plan to run, if you have 10 car trains 4% is really not a problem for one loco, on the other hand if you are running 30 car trains then you may have a problem.

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
if you have 10 car trains 4% is really not a problem for one loco, on the other hand if you are running 30 car trains then you may have a problem. [/B]

Hey Phil, it depends on what loco, too, I had 14 cars on my hustler last night on the level and it barely could get enough traction to go; couldn't get started on a curve :D :D :D When I figure out where to put some weight in the little rascal, I'm sure she can pull far more than 14 :D :D :D

I'm planning to get into logging too :p

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
This is where DCC really shines!!!, You can doublehead the front end, and add a helper, pushing from behind. Once the train is up, the helper can be cut off and returned to the bottom of the hill.
Pete