Cleo related question

jyduchene

Jan 25, 2004
Mahomet Il.
Larry, (and anyone else)

I recently started construction of the Shipways yacht included i t the Baltimore clipper kit. I am thinking of painting the hull after planking and I am aware that you painted the Cleo. I would like to know what type of paint did you use? Acrylic, oil, lacquer? And I assume you brushed it on as opposed to airbrusing. Just want a little consultation as I cut the last of the bulkheads and think about planking.

Thanks, John

larrymax

Jan 17, 2004
Corona, CA
home.aaris.net
Welcome to the Paper Navy, Captain John!

I painted Cleo's hull with acrylic paints. The small 2 oz. bottles available at any hobby/craft store, even WalMart sells em... They come in lots of nice colors. For Cleo's hull, I first had to putty in (lightweight spackle) and sand down the "hollows". I think this served to "waterproof" the paper as well, which is a convenient happenstance, as painting the paper planking with water based paint can be potentially disasterous! For Cleo's Boats, I just planked them with white paper....no paint required.

Hope this helps. Be sure and start a thread on your build! Lot's of pictures!!!!!

Max
Captain, HMS Cleopatra
Paper Navy of the Bear Flag Republic

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
Copiague, Long Island, New York
Cap'n John, I use acrylics as well. I like the ability to thin with water, the nice way it flows onto paper and the lack of objectionable fumes. I used ModelShipways paints, they have a nice, fine grained pigment and so far I have encountered no problems using them.

Max, those boats are plain paper, no paint? My admiration just jumped one hundred fold for the great job you did, as if there was much more room for my amazement as it was. :lol:

Jim

jyduchene

Jan 25, 2004
Mahomet Il.
Thanks, Larry and Jim.

I will be out and about this afternoon looking to get some paint and spackle. I regret that I do not have a digital camrea as I would like to share the build.

At this point I am cutting our bulkheads with 4 pane glazed windows and it is tedious with butterfly tension.

John