Clear Creek Mining Co. (N Scale)

Drew1125

This is a little (66"x32") N scale display layout that I have somewhat started on...
Just thought I'd scribble out a track plan to illustrate the ultra-simplicity of it.
It's a tabletop oval with a backdrop dividing it into two seperate areas. This is built as a display to be hauled to a show, so the backdrop is removable. I think this will also make construction easier.
The track plan is deliberately sparce, because as a display, switching, & operations will be kept to a minimum.
Min. curve rad. is 12", & 0% grade. Once again, simplicity is the key here.

Attachments

• ccmine3.jpg
    ccmine3.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 251

Lighthorseman

Simplicity=Good.

I saw something similar at a train show a while ago, and it's really hard to beat a small layout like this. The backdrop meant that you had to actually walk around the layout to see the other side, making it seem much larger.

Since it was smaller in size, and the trackplan fairly simple, the owners had been able to get things running quickly, and move along fairly quickly. The level of detail was incredible.

Lighthorseman

Charlie...just had a look at your "Brainstorms And Daydreams" thread, and judging by the picture in that thread, I have a piece of advice for you.

RUN WITH IT!!!!! :D :D

...And don't forget to post LOTS of pictures.

Drew1125

Thanks for the encouragement, Steve!
I'm gonna need all of that I can get! :D
A high level of detail is what I would like to strive for also, but I'm ona 4 month deadline here, & I'm not sure I can get that much done...I've got this J.O.B. problem that continually gets in the way of my model railroading!;) :rolleyes: :D
I will post as many pictures as I can!

Tyson Rayles

Charlie I like the track plan and agree with keeping it simple. One suggestion though, the name you chose is a world famous western area and this is supposed to be a Appalacian coal hauler. It might be confusing to some, then again maybe not . Just a thought, hmmmmm I think I forgot to take my medication again. :D Good luck and we want pics! :) :D

Drew1125

Hi Tyson,
There actually was a Clear Creek Mine near Pineville, Ky....don't know too much more about it than that...I guess I should say that the name, along with everything else, is still up in the air...
In fact, I'm really considering naming the layout, & all the places on it after some of my Gauge friends...
You know what? You've convinced me Tyson...the Clear Creek it isn't!
As to what it IS , let me get back to you on that one!
I've got plenty of work to do before I start naming things anyway!:eek: :D :rolleyes:

clumber

I also use the backdrop idea, its very effective especially if your layout is quite high, mine is 4' of the ground.

Brian
General Manager of the Deadwood City Railroad.