Cleaning?

rockislandmike

Nov 6, 2001
Edmonton AB
dayfornight.qazam.com
Got my latest ebay acquisition today, an Athearn SDP40 (road name irrelevant, it ain't gonna be for long). Doesn't wanna run normally, but if you put one set of the wheels on the outside of the track instead, it wants to go like a bat out of h---.

Does it just need a good cleaning? Any other thoughts??? Any other q's for clarification???

rockislandmike

Nov 6, 2001
Edmonton AB
dayfornight.qazam.com
Damn, just took the shell off, and there's a whackage of stuck magnetized to the motor - stanchions and other little bits of metal. And one of the connector clips wasn't in proper position.

What I really wish I had is a spare power supply, so I could check these puppies inside rather than having to go to the garage......

rockislandmike

Nov 6, 2001
Edmonton AB
dayfornight.qazam.com
The Saga Continues

Okay, after getting rid of all the extra magnetized bits, and gently fixing the connector to the rear truck, it still stutters, *but* if you hold onto the front truck it goes zoom zoom.

So it doesn't appear to be anything mechanical, but more in electrical pickup. Thoughts appreciated.

C

Catt

My first thought would be to replace the factory wheelsets with Nickel silver ones.

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
Athearn electrical pickup can break down at the following points:
wheels; axle bearings; contact between the bearings, and the metal pieces on the sides of the gearboxes; the contact between the trucks, and the frame; and the spring contact to the top of the motor.
Pete

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Mike:
Is this one of the Athearns with the long metal springy strips instead of wire? (They were called "wireless") I would look at that as a likely problem. Test it with jumper cables (the ones with alligator clips). They also do things to the suspension. The strip from the truck should go over and push down on the one from the motor.
Definitely, you need a portable power supply...

rockislandmike

Nov 6, 2001
Edmonton AB
dayfornight.qazam.com
Yes, it is wireless. I already adjusted those a bit, but I should probably do so while it's on a track, and check those puppies out more. If that and a cleaning doesn't work, I will have to re-ponder the difficulty.

Looks like I'm gonna need me another powered Athearn SDP40 though. I was gonna buy another one anyways, just waiting for the New Haven to arrive to determine whether I wanted a powered or dummy unit. So apparently the gods have spoken. I'm going to paint all three SDP40 in my wife's railroad scheme.

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
Mike, Some years ago I bought an Athearn loco that would not run unless I "smacked" it and it would move a few inches. Came to find out that one of motor brush springs was missing! :eek: Just something else to look at:D

Remove the trucks. Carefully unsnap the clip over the worm gear being sure that you don't lose either the bearings or any of the shim washers that might be there. Once that is done clean the area on the frame where the trucks seat. Many times there was some paint overspray there that must be removed to insure a good contact. That pivot area must be shiney and clean although you can use a drop of Labelle 108 detergent oil there as a lubricant.

Having the loco run well when you hold the trucks many times indicates a poor connection at one truck or the other.

Reassemble and test.