Cleaning Sylvan resin models

Heath

May 1, 2006
Victoria, BC Canada
Hi all,
Bought a few Sylvan models. I've researched the posts here in regards to cleaning the mould release agent from the parts. I have called so many stores and no one has an affirmative answer, or I get "don't knows". Of course no one stocks the Diosol or the Resin Prep that Sylvan says to use. When I do ask to get the Sylvan specific cleaners in it takes months. I'd like to use household stuff that I've read about on here that people have used so here are a few refined questions:
  • Windshield washer cleaner. Used full strength and just immerse the whole parts and gently brush with an old toothbrush?
  • Dishwasher detergent. The powder stuff dissolved in warm water? The stuff for the dishwashing machine right, not the dishwashing liquid you use in the sink.
  • "Chamelleon" brand paint stripper. If this stuff is powerful enough to strip paint, surely it will take the mold release agent off, right? I've used it on styrene on older cars and had somewhat good success with it. Didn't damage the styrene at all.
Sorry to post another post of this topic again but I'd hate to go through and paint it only to find my cleaning wasn't done properly.

Many thanks for all your help,
Heath

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Don't know your location, but you should be able to get Resin Prep right from Sylvan... unless they cannot mail it. :(

I assembled one resin kit after simply washing it with dish detergent. I brush painted it - I would say it is not the best paint job ever, but that is more likely operator error, rather than poor cleaning. ;)

To clarify - it was the stuff for the sink, not for the machine. Scrubbed with an old toothbrush.

Andrew

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
Heath said:
Hi all,
Bought a few Sylvan models. I've researched the posts here in regards to cleaning the mould release agent from the parts. I have called so many stores and no one has an affirmative answer, or I get "don't knows". Of course no one stocks the Diosol or the Resin Prep that Sylvan says to use. When I do ask to get the Sylvan specific cleaners in it takes months. I'd like to use household stuff that I've read about on here that people have used so here are a few refined questions:
  • Windshield washer cleaner. Used full strength and just immerse the whole parts and gently brush with an old toothbrush?
  • Dishwasher detergent. The powder stuff dissolved in warm water? The stuff for the dishwashing machine right, not the dishwashing liquid you use in the sink.
  • "Chamelleon" brand paint stripper. If this stuff is powerful enough to strip paint, surely it will take the mold release agent off, right? I've used it on styrene on older cars and had somewhat good success with it. Didn't damage the styrene at all.
Sorry to post another post of this topic again but I'd hate to go through and paint it only to find my cleaning wasn't done properly.

Many thanks for all your help,
Heath

If the "diosol" mentioned is Floquil Diosol, it is laquer thinner for Floquil paints. You should use the specific thiner for Floquil paints, but for cleaning, I think any laquer thinner would suffice. If the "diosol" you mentioned is not a Floquil product, don't use laquer thinner for cleaning, the "diosol" may be a different product altogether,

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
I use lacquer thinner in place of diosol for thinning Floquil paints. The main difference is that I can buy a quart of it for about the same price as a one ounce bottle of Diosol, and I can also use it as an effective cement for styrene. It will also work for cleaning the resin castings from Sylvan. However, don't leave the parts in the thinner for more than a few seconds, and small or thin parts should be dipped and rinsed with soapy water immediately, to avoid distorting or completely destroying them. After treating with either Diosol or lacquer thinner, wash all parts in warm water and dish detergent. I have built two CNR cabooses that have a number of scratchbuilt replacement parts due to this occurrence. Thin sections on the vehicles (cars and trucks) can also be softened, so while there may be another product out there that will work as well as Sylvan's own product, until you can find it, take the time to get the Resin Prep.

Wayne