Claudio's Bumblebee Build Gallery

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by CK Styles, Sep 5, 2008.

1. SEBRET

SEBRET Member

Nice, very nice, and i agree with you CK, leaving the fold lines unpainted does seem to reinforce the paper model idea, especially when it comes to transformers and other mecha.
  2. CK Styles

CK Styles Senior Member

Hi Biroka,

I am guessing we have different measurements for paper thickness here than where you come from. I have attached a link that should help with the paper question. 84# refers to the actual weight of the paper (500 sheets per ream and 10 reams per case). The case of paper itself would way 84 lbs. At least that is how I understand it.

http://www.paper-paper.com/weight.html

I hope I am making sense. No questions are dumb questions. I just hope I gave you the right answer!
  3. CK Styles

CK Styles Senior Member

Sebret / Claudio / virajmperera,

Thanks guys for the kind words. It sure makes building these models more fun when you have peers that give you encouragement. Now if I could just figure out what to build next ... hmmmm.
  4. Biroka

Biroka Member

Hy! Finally I got my Bumble Bee on foot (it was damn hard to make that thing stand). I think I will have to make the feet "not mobile", because the joints can move too easily and its not stable :(. Monday I get a camera and will post you some pictures of it.
  5. CK Styles

CK Styles Senior Member

Very cool. The joints are a bit tricky. Here is what I did to tighten them up:

I laminated a couple layers of black card stock around the outside of the inner cylinder that makes up the joint. This way I created more friction and tightened everything up. I also built a stand for my bot, complete with name plate. I will post pics of that soon. I think it turned out pretty good.
  6. CK Styles

CK Styles Senior Member

Some quick pics of my Bumblebee display. I plan on a plexi case as well, just haven't gotten there yet. There will also be one light embedded in the foam, between the legs to provide some up-lighting on the model to give some nice shadow effects! It should be pretty cool (I hope). I plan on entering this model in the Hobby Town USA modeling contest here in Lincoln in the coming months, as well as putting it on display at out local Children's museum. The bee is going to be busy!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  7. Biroka

Biroka Member

Hmmm a stand....good idea, I can't get it stable. I said that I will post some pics today, but I don't post them before he can stand on he's feet alone or whit a stand like yours CK. Thanks for the tip. Your model looks great!
  8. Biroka

Biroka Member

Just one thing I can't understand....why did you switch the legs (right is left, left is right):confused:
  9. CK Styles

CK Styles Senior Member

Yes, I noticed the legs as well. They got switched when I took him apart for travel. I just need to switch them back. Good thing I didn't glue all the parts. I like to keep parts un-glued whenever possible if the fit is good. Good eye! As far as the stand, I thought it would help to stabilize the bee when he is being displayed etc. You will notice I installed a switch on the back of the stand. I did this because I did not want to fiddle with the small switch that Claudio used (I couldn't find one like it). The nice part about the switch is, it can be added on to if needed for the extra lighting inside the display case (up-lighting from the bottom etc).
  10. Cláudio Dias

Cláudio Dias Member

CK, nice job on the stand:thumb:

Regarding switch, I used one that can be found at computer parts store. These switches are pretty common on computer mother boards.
  11. CK Styles

CK Styles Senior Member

Hey thanks Claudio! I always appreciate your suggestions and help. I was looking at the local Radio Shack, and I have to say, they really don't have a lot to choose from these days. I will definitely check it out. By the way, I was very proud of my wife the other day, she commented that this was a model worthy of display in our home. That's the first time I've heard that!
  12. Biroka

Biroka Member

So I said I'll post some pictures of my bumblebee. Didn't make a stand yet....so he's just sitting around,will post some more pictures when I make the stand too, so he can stand stable on his foot.

Claudio thank you very much for making this model available for us. :thumb:

Attached Files:

13. CK Styles

CK Styles Senior Member

Hey Biroka, awesome job. Your "B" looks fantastic! Looks like you used a glossy paper. I love it!
  14. Biroka

Biroka Member

Well...semi-mat 160 gsm paper but I didn't laminate anything just the connection of the front of the foot, And used foil-paper instead of wire for the spring at the arm.
  15. CK Styles

CK Styles Senior Member

Foil paper, interesting idea. By the way, I think that is the largest puzzle I have ever seen! That had to take a lot of time!
  16. Biroka

Biroka Member

It's a 3000 piece puzzle. Every Christmas I get a puzzle....this is the 7th and the largest yet. It took 3 weeks to put it out, but didn't brought a frame (ordered last week, don't know when will it be done) so it's on my desk from almost a year now sign1
  17. CK Styles

CK Styles Senior Member

Cool, I would love to see the others u have done. Nice work, buddy.
  18. terrorsound

terrorsound New Member

I hope my attempt looks as good as what you guys built, I'm going to use 110lb and 67lb paper where needed.. This model looks really great!! The designers on this site are just amazing.. I'm going to attempt glossy photo for some parts, not all because glossy
    photo cracks easily.
  19. OylPslyk

OylPslyk Aspiring Usurper

ok, first of all BIG props on the build...

after 3 days (all weekend) working on this thing ive only gotten the head and one arm done!

im amazed at how you managed to get all these small parts forced into place/shape... i'm having trouble and im building mine at 2x the size it was intended! (3' tall)

i may have started my build too late :( it is supposed to be a x-mas gift for the kid... gonna be a lot of late nites to finish it