Class B Climax In N scale?

Delamaize

Oct 14, 2004
Lacey, Wa.
Yes, it came to me in a dream. (how corny is that :D ) so I sifted though my "box-o-cr*p" and started woring on it. a old minitrix 0-6-0, a old bachmann 4-4-0, a life like SW1200, a old flat car, some random gears and shafts, and alot fo CA and cussing later, I have made my first prototype. I think I am going to try to make a better one out of brass once I get this one refined. attached is a drawling of the basic "drive train". and, yes the side rods do function. now, it is really big, but I hope to be able to make it alot smaller version with brass at a later time. sorry bout the picture quality, I am no artist. I wil try to get photos asap.

Attachments

• climax.jpg
    climax.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 219

Delamaize

Oct 14, 2004
Lacey, Wa.
Ok, the prototype worked. not worth taking pictures of though, the main driveshaft to the front truck was slightly bent and messes up the gearing for the front truck. so now that i know it works, I am going to go on to the next step, brass. what I need is some specs and dimentions for a 20-40 ton class B climax. any help will be apprecated.
thanks,

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com

Delamaize

Oct 14, 2004
Lacey, Wa.
Class B 30 TON climax in N scale?

I am thinking this is going to be the easyest class B climax to fit my drtvetrain into. Question, It this works, and I get a few good ones working (in brass of corse) would people be intrested in buying them you think?
thanks
photo24.jpg

Delamaize said:
I am thinking this is going to be the easyest class B climax to fit my drtvetrain into. Question, It this works, and I get a few good ones working (in brass of corse) would people be intrested in buying them you think?
thanks
I'm very interested in N Scale logging locos. I'm building a Class A Climax now, based on Tyson's excellent project posted here some time ago. Your concept looks promising. Hope to see photos & operating reports.

Wayne

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Delamaize said:
Question, It this works, and I get a few good ones working (in brass of corse) would people be intrested in buying them you think?

RULE #1---The way to make a small fortune in the Model Railroading industry is to start with a large one.

If you could make an affordable running gear that worked well, you'd have the love and admiration of N and HOn30 gaugers alike.

Ray Marinaccio

Aug 4, 2003
Dewey Az.
Visit site
I was tossing around a similar design but haven't started construction yet.
Keep us posted on your progress, I'm interested to see how it works out.
Your design looks a bit easier than what I was thinking, I was planning to run the worm shaft closer to the frame rails with a primary gearbox to a tiny motor hidden in the boiler.
I was thinking of using cut down MRC 3 axle trucks (cutting off the unpowered axle on the end) to get a shorter wheelbased trucks.
If the Climax works out is a Hysler on the drawing board next?

Delamaize

Oct 14, 2004
Lacey, Wa.
I havn't had any ideas for a heisler yet. a little more complicated. I brobally could figure out some thing though. as for the trucks I found that the SW1200 trucks are a longer than the prototype, but they have about the right gearing, keeps the speeds below about 40 SMPH. I know that the climaxes were really slow, the had to sacrifice speed for tourque and power, but on a logging railroad, who needs speed.

Delamaize

Oct 14, 2004
Lacey, Wa.
Oh and I thought I'd mention that I am not looking for money, rather just to provide something to the N scale community that previously wasn't avaible at a decent price. the only other functional climax I have ever seen was on aspenmodels.com and it was like $500 for the kit, give me a break!

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Delamaize said:
Oh and I thought I'd mention that I am not looking for money, rather just to provide something to the N scale community that previously wasn't avaible at a decent price.

The nice thing about your idea is that it has a crossover appeal. The mechanism could be used in HOn30 and On18 with very little added work.