Civil War question!

This ain't about trains but are any of you a Civil War re-enactor? I only ask cause no one in the hobby really cares about the new guys in the hobby and so far I've been treated unfairly by just about all of them (I'm new to it). I'm glad I got a train hobby I can get away too!

shamus

Registered Member
Hey PennRailroads, your among friends here my lad, I can call you my lad because I am 65, and you were born late 70's :D:D

Shamus

Vic

Civil War

Hey Penn, I'm not a re-enactor but here is a site that you are gonna really like:)
www.portcolumbus.org

This is the National Civil War Naval Museum which is located about 2 miles from my house. This brand new facility just opened a few months ago. Our city spent millions on it and it is really a showplace. Won't spoil any more of the fun....go see the site...but many of the Confederate Iron Clads were built just down the road from me.

PS: Like Shamus said....you are among friends here...you won't get any "flack" from us.:) :D

Hey Pennrailroads; Have you been to the National Civil War Museum in Harrisburg yet? I only ask because we're both from the same state and I, as well, am a Civil War buff. Though I'm almost ashamed to say that I haven't been there yet, even though it's only about 7 or 8 miles from my house.:eek: .!!.

Matt--Hershey, Pa.

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
My wife worked with a guy who participates in re-enactment with a St. Paul group. Apparently they were pretty welcoming of new folks. Maybe it depends on the group? We visited friends in Virginia over the 4th of July weekend and saw the Antietam battle site. Amazing for such a beautiful place to have been the site of such a tragic event. Do you have any interest in blending your hobbies and creating a Civil War era layout?
Ralph

Vic

Hey Penn, I just thought of something after reading Ralph's post.

If you want to get some inspiration for a Civil War railroad there's a couple of movies you can rent.....

"The General"....Buster Keaton...Silent..B&W
"The Great Locomotive Chase".....Disney Studios

Most any of the large rental stores have them.

Penn, Sorry to here your Having a bad experience . I live across the road from the Chickamauga battlefied in Ga. I thought I would like to do that too at one time.
I tell you what though we could get us a couple of 4-4-0's name them the Texas and General and chase each other up and down the old Central of Georgia tracks out front and have our own re-enactment. :p :D

t.

Vic, I've been wanting to visit the museum there. I am really interested in the Civil war ironclads. I have been wanting to build a model of the Federal ram Choctaw for a while. Can't find a good set of building plans though.

Penn, if you build a Civil War era railroad be prepared to replace trackage alot. As one of them Southern generals was pretty fond of ripping it up. :rolleyes: :D .

t.

Hi PennRailRoads,
Your experience in CV enactment is not limited to that topic.
I've heard similar stories of those going on-line with WWII flight sims and ground combat sims. The so-called "oldtimers" think they are so good they won't take a newbie into their squadron and have no time or inclination to teach a few "tricks of the trade". Their attitude is simply "we're in here to win". Gee, these things are supposed to be fun, but you would think the oldtimers were all superior generals fighting for real!!!
It's sad but true.

Anyway, you won't find that attitude in here, because we are all learning in model RR'ing. That's because there are so many aspects to this hobby it takes a long time to tackle them all.

Have fun in here and enjoy.

Errol

"Do you have any interest in blending your hobbies and creating a Civil War era layout?"

Ralph I was thinking of doing that later on down the road, as much as I like the Civil War there are just some "hardcore jerks" out there to make the new guys feel bad. I was just thinking of creating a Gettysburg theme with supply trains going through (both Union and Confederate). Although the Imex figures do pretty much match the size of an average HO scale person. I just like to detail small figures and detail other stuff.

I've heard on the news last night that the SCVCW (Sons of Confederate Veterns of the Civil War) is under fire from those racist groups. I think those racist groups should think for a minute and think real hard, if it wasnt for our ancestors this would be a different America as we know it today. Just imagine what it would be like if the Confederacy really did win!

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Hi PennRailRoads!
I remember seeing an article about modeling the old station at Gettysburg in an issue of Model Railroader from the 70s or 80s. Might be available as a reprint for whenever you decide to model the area. Neat idea!

Vic,
Thanks for prompting a pleasant memory. I saw that Disney movie in 1977 on TV just before I went off to college. I really enjoyed the film.
Ralph

BillD53A

There is a company named Musket Miniaures that has Civil War figures, guns and accessories in HO. They have a web site but I dont have the URL handy. There is also a group at Yahoo.com named EarlyRail, that has a lot of info on color schemes, etc.
There isnt much rolling stock available, the Mantua/Model Power General is about all there is, and it is a model of an unusual prototype. I guess some of Bachmann's earlier locos could be kitbashed.
I always thought a ca. 1830's layout would be neat...I was born in NJ near the Camden and Amboy; I'ld love to see a layout with a half-dozen John Bulls running around. One could modify British freight wagons to use for rolling stock...most American cars in use then were copies of the British...Bill

Pooh Bah
Welcoming newbies

Penn:
I used to do folk dancing and one of the teachers came up with the following categories:

1. Beginning dancer. Knows nothing.
2. Intermediate dancer. Knows everything. Too good to dance with beginners.
3. Hotshot dancer. Too good to dance with anyone.
4. Advanced dancer. Dances everything. Especially with beginners.
--Dick Crum

It looks like the same sorts of people are into everything.

60103: Amen!:) That's one of the most "truest" statements I've ever heard. Thank goodness everyone on the Gauge falls into the #1 category or the # 4 category!
The advanced dancer would also admit he/she doesn't know EVERYTHING either....

One of my goals every day, whether it applies to work, home or my hobbies is to either learn something new each day, or teach something new to somebody else, or both!!!

Matt--Chocolatetown, Pa.:) ;) :D :cool: :)

PennRailRoads,

I owe you one :) . For over a month I've been trying to figure a place to vacation in the USA. You triggered the idea that to drive around Civil War areas in VA and WV would be a splendid idea. I'm planning on going with my wife during mid September.

Thank you my friend.
Errol

rockislandmike

Penn, I find it's good to stagger when you start new hobbies. Many, if not most, hobbies have people that treat you like that. My wife found the same thing in sewing; I must say, though, that I was treated very well locally by model railroaders. There's still some snobbishness, but overall pretty good.

But if you stagger when you start new ones, you'll be a vet in others and not only will you feel more secure in those hobbies, you'll also know to expect that kind of treatment in new hobbies. Not that it's right or anything, but it does seem to happen a lot.

Oh I know Mike, there's alot of people out there making fun of any person they come across. There's one forum that has some good and some of the worse people imaginable, it's called "Off Topic Boys". I keep telling them that their not really mature and that what they say and do isnt part of the hobby, I even said that their not really re-enactors if they do that kind of stuff. Boy did some of them get really mad when I said that but it's the truth. Telling jokes is one thing, degrading a person by what they say or do is waiting for that person to go off on them.

I'm going from one hobby to next, it's like a cycle that I have. I like to research the Civil War, WWII and the Titanic, building models and scratchbuilding, model railroading, collecting Star Wars and Dale Earnhardt memorabilia. That's all I think I have for now!

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
Gee, I spent a weekend in Gettysburg. At a motel called "General Lee's Headquarders". Two steps out the door and you were at the "Cut". In fact,CSX ran though there at least twice a day.