Civil War Ironclad

Discussion in 'Dream Kits & Wish Lists' started by B-Manic, Sep 2, 2007.

1. B-Manic

B-Manic Peripheral Visionary

USS Cairo
    USS Keokuk
    Any paper models of these interesting vessels out there? Or any other Union Ironclads.

Cairo
    [​IMG]
    Keokuk
    [​IMG]

Thanks
  2. knife

knife Member

I've been researching, and thinking that I might have to design some from scratch. I think they should be 1/250 to go with the Digital Navy early monitors. The only freebies that I have found are for the Merrimac and Monitor, but they are pretty simple models best left to students and wargamers. There's a model shop just west of St. Louis that had a beautiful model of the Cairo, and I would like to model it in paper. Last time I checked, PMI had a super detailed Monitor model, with complete interior. I think the parts count was in the high hundreds.
  3. CNWman

CNWman CNW Fan

Hi, I'm visiting from the model railroad forums. I got interested with this thread's title, mainly because I like the 'cheesebox on a raft' ship, the U.S.S. Monitor. Kinfe, you said there was a place where you could get the Monitor and Merrimack/Merrimac/Virginia/WHATEVER:p it was called for free. Can you post a link? Always thought it would be a hoot to have a Monitor class Ironclad on a modern day model railroad's port:p
  4. knife

knife Member

5. knife

knife Member

I forgot to mention Paper Shipwright (Paper Shipwright - Card Models)
    has two freebies, the HMVS Cerberus and SMS Rhein. He also has the C.S.S. Virginia for $12.00 and the U.S.S. Monitor for $9.50. Really nice work. In fact, I think I will order some for myself now. This still leaves a gaping hole where models of the Mississippi flotilla belong.
  6. B-Manic

Thanks guys - I may have to design my own, the Monitor @ Paper Shipwright looks good though. I don't have the patience for 1150 parts, especially for a small ship at that scale.
  7. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

I am not so sure you were looking at the right box.
    The monitor has only 250 parts.

Russell
  8. rockpaperscissor

rockpaperscissor Member

Bill Mahmood has 9 paper ACW ironclads available here Civil War Ironclads Available! Union and Confederate Ironclad model kits. 3 USS and 6 CSS. I've built one of them. They are fairly simple waterline models. I seem to remember that at one time there used to be more than 9, although I could be wrong. They aren't free, but sometimes one has to swap one kind of printed paper in order to get another.
    Regards,
    Don
  9. knife

knife Member

A little off topic, but while cruising the internet last night I found a reference to some pre-WWII Soviet rivercraft that mounted tank turrets on them to turn them into monitors. Does anybody know of or have information on these vessels?
  10. B-Manic

I have seen some Russian armoured patrol boats that look interesting. They were pre-WWI and had an extremly large long barreled gun turret forward.
  11. shrike

shrike Guest

BKK-1 patrol boats - fitted with turrets from T-28, T-35 and eventually T-34 turrets fore and aft. Also fitted with katyusha rocket launchers.
    Haven't been able to find too much beyond the data and meshes from IL2
  12. knife

knife Member

Hey, look what I found: It may be plastic, but hats off to a great diorama!

Attached Files:

13. B-Manic

Knife - those are great. I found a great number of drawings/plans etc fo USS Monitor amd CSS Virginia. These nice (reduced) views will help with the textures . . . and so yet another design project begins - I'm up to 9 now :)

Attached Files: