Civil War Ironclad Source(s)?

westmalle8

Nov 29, 2007
As a first ship build (I've built airplanes) I would like to build a model of a U.S. Civil War Ironclad. I think I would prefer a Union Monitor, not necessarily the U.S.S. Monitor, over a Confederate ship, but I'm not ruling that out. I call myself having search around and I'm not finding anything but the simplest cardstock models. Does anyone have any pointers where to find either a download model or even a kit?

I'm looking for something reasonably scaled (or that could be scaled).

Thanks,
JPH712

SCEtoAux

Jul 28, 2004
USA
Here is a place that has some ironclads for sale. Perhaps you can find something there.
Ironclads

CSS Tennessee
CSS Albemarle
USS Monitor
CSS Virginia
USS Passaic
CSS Neuse
CSS Jackson
USS Tecumseh
CSS Arkansas
CSS Richmond

archangel1

Jun 25, 2007
Hurray! Another ACW ship fan! Paper Shipwright does both the USS Monitor (about 8") and the CSS Virginia/Merrimack (about 14") in 1:250. Not very big, I know, but very nice models. I have them both, unbuilt at the moment.

Paper Shipwright - Card Models

Paper Shipwright - Card Models

Paper Models International used to carry a 13" USS Monitor (with interior) but I don't know what their situation is at the moment. They were trying to sell the business last year. I've never tried to order it so I don't even know if it's still in print and they don't give the manufacturer's name.

osCommerce

Good luck!

Cheers,
Mike :wave:

loadmat

Oct 25, 2007
I just talked with PMI about an order - yes it's still for sale - I've been to his place - wish I had $90K, great inventory, S-O-A printers, and permission with a couple of the european publishers to reproduce their products stateside. He still is in business, and adds new items often.
loadmat

Beachead

Apr 13, 2007
N. Va, US
You can also go to "Hobby Factory" who is up in Canada. He has most of the Paper Shipwright military vessels in stock. I completed the Viginia and if I can manage to download pics correctly to this site, I'll put in a few this weekend. It came out pretty neat by the way.

J

Jim Nunn

PMI has a model of the monitor PaperModels.net - Catalog Page 50 with a full interior and you can built it into three different versions. As I remember, it is not a standard scale for a paper model something like 1:150. The coloring is a little odd defiantly not to prototype it has a tin plate toy appearance. I have seen this model built up and it is very highly detailed and it is on my must build someday list.

Jim Nunn