Cigarette ash for weathering?

N

nachoman

I don't see why you couldn't use it the same as chalk or real dirt.

This did lead to an idea - weathering a wood structure by placing it into a smoker!

Kevin

MilesWestern

Sep 20, 2005
CA
protopaintwest.googlepages.com
NO.

It's a bad Idea for a multitude of reasons. Just spend $4.00 on some weathering powders! They look more realistic, actually stick to the car/locomotive/structure you're weathering, and dry ultra flat.

Plus the smell alone wouldn't be pleasant to non-smokers.

Using stove (presumably actual wood NOT Chemlogs like firestarters) ash would be okay for stuff like the ash iles from a burnt-out building but NOT FOR WEATHERING. It doesn't look good, or stick well to your model.

b28_82

Jan 25, 2004
Midwest City, OK
www.geocities.com
NO.

It's a bad Idea for a multitude of reasons. Just spend $4.00 on some weathering powders! They look more realistic, actually stick to the car/locomotive/structure you're weathering, and dry ultra flat.

Plus the smell alone wouldn't be pleasant to non-smokers.

Using stove (presumably actual wood NOT Chemlogs like firestarters) ash would be okay for stuff like the ash iles from a burnt-out building but NOT FOR WEATHERING. It doesn't look good, or stick well to your model.

I agree, using cigarette ashes on my layout does not sound appealing due to the unpleasant stale ashtray smell.

Sarge_7

Sep 30, 2007
Fort Sill, OK
I smoked for 20 yrs at 2 packs a day. I used the pills and the patch at the same time, but have not smoked one since the first day I tried(this time)

Thanks for the input. :) I liked the white and gray chalk in particular. I guess I'm going to the school supplies store. Is it done this way:

1) Pound the gray and white chalk together to powdery form
2) Use a small paintbrush to apply the powder

Oh, btw, I'm thinking of not weathering my Athearn RDCs and future short Santa Fe train since I think passenger trains are well cleaned(am I correct?).

Mountain Man

Jan 19, 2007
There is an article in a recent MRR mag about a modeler who used cigarette ash to model real ashes in his railyard ash pit.

MilesWestern

Sep 20, 2005
CA
protopaintwest.googlepages.com
It doesn't matter if a guy in MR did that.. IT'S STILL A BAD IDEA.

It's not like MR (or any modeling magazine) is the modeling bible from which we must obey every tutorial or tip they put forth.

I agree with Ron, but only for wood burning locomotive ash pits, the cedar would (or wood,lol) be pleasant.

If you want coal ash, I suppose you could burn real coal (a small amount) and use the ash for that, if you cannot do that, I suppose you could use Charcoal briquettes (but they're unpleasantly smelly too.)

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
Since you asked about using cigarette ash, it's also useful to know that smoking in your train room is not very friendly to operations, as the smoke will coat the rails, cutting down on electrical conductivity. Another good reason to quit. ;):-D

Wayne

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
It doesn't matter if a guy in MR did that.. IT'S STILL A BAD IDEA.

It's not like MR (or any modeling magazine) is the modeling bible from which we must obey every tutorial or tip they put forth.

I agree with Ron, but only for wood burning locomotive ash pits, the cedar would (or wood,lol) be pleasant.

You've got some strong feelings about that Miles! I can see not rubbing ashes on equipment. the ash pit idea mentioned by Ron and Mountain Man seems like a good one as you've noted. Ashes to model ashes. Some folks grind up leaves to model leaves. Makes sense.

I tried suing charcoal dust from the bottom of my grill to make a country road because I liked the color. It turned out OK but was a mess to work with when trying to apply diluted glue solution. i don't recommend it.

Ralph

Mountain Man

Jan 19, 2007
You've got some strong feelings about that Miles! I can see not rubbing ashes on equipment. the ash pit idea mentioned by Ron and Mountain Man seems like a good one as you've noted. Ashes to model ashes. Some folks grind up leaves to model leaves. Makes sense.

I tried suing charcoal dust from the bottom of my grill to make a country road because I liked the color. It turned out OK but was a mess to work with when trying to apply diluted glue solution. i don't recommend it.

Ralph

IIRC, the question came up, the ashes were already handy, and the author and his friend decided to try it and see. As I recall, getting the application right was a bit tricky - adhesive first, then ashes, but the effect shown in the article was excellent. I'm sure there are many ways to achieve the same effect, just as some modelers grind up real coal to put in loco tenders while others use a variety of materials.

Using materials in modeling doesn't constitute an endorsement, after all.