Cider Press - shaygetz help?!

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
I would like to cobble together a cider press for a scene I have in mind - but I am a bit stumped on how to get the look of the wooden barrel underneath with creating something so fragile it would be crushed as I assemble it...! ;)

Here's what I have in mind... Any comments? Bob?

Thanks!

Andrew

(Note the picture is from kufflecreek.com - you can buy plans for the press on CD)

Attachments

• cider_1.jpg
    cider_1.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 178

MilesWestern

Sep 20, 2005
CA
protopaintwest.googlepages.com
To make it sturdier, you can build it around a cylindricial container, or something of a definite round shape, make it smaller than the strips of wood, paint it black and there you go!

Attachments

• instructions.JPG
    instructions.JPG
    32.7 KB · Views: 165

LoudMusic

Jul 21, 2006
Miles, the shape of your cylindrical container makes me think of a thread spool - they come in many shapes and are usually discarded by our seamstress cohorts so I bet they're in large supply for projects such as this. If you can't find one just right start with one that's too small and wrap paper around it until it's the correct diameter.

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
This is to be HO sized...

The barrel as I recall is no more than 2 feet in diameter, at least on the version I want to try.

It is based on one we used to rent when I was a kid. We had apple trees all around the property, and made cider from the windfalls. I think we were the only family to rent this contraption from the rental place... It had an electric motor to spin the "shredder", but I will make it a hand-cranked machine to fit my era better.

Thanks for all the ideas guys.

Andrew

LoudMusic

Jul 21, 2006
Wow, you're talking 1/4 of an inch diameter in HO scale. I foresee frustration in your future.

jim currie

Jun 29, 2003
arizona
Visit site
Andrew the best thing i can think of would be brass bars with the ring on the out side made fron a thin piece of brass tubing soldered togather, or the other would be styrene shapes.

Jac's Lines

Jan 28, 2005
Rochester, NY
I think Miles' idea is the one to go for, although instead of wood I'd wrap the Bic pen section in brown kraft paper (like on grocery bags). Either strips of paper, as in Miles drawing, or possible vertical lines drawn in ink if you don't want to mess around with really small detail work. You could use thin strips of black cardstock to do the barrel hoops and then weather everything (possibly an alcohol and ink solution, dark at the bottom and then lighter towards the top, representing years of liquid leaching into the wood). Properly weathered, I'd think this would look good from a foot away or more.

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
MasonJar said:
I would like to cobble together a cider press for a scene I have in mind - but I am a bit stumped on how to get the look of the wooden barrel underneath with creating something so fragile it would be crushed as I assemble it...! ;)

Here's what I have in mind... Any comments? Bob?

Thanks!

Andrew

(Note the picture is from kufflecreek.com - you can buy plans for the press on CD)

announce1 As the "William Tell Overture" plays in the background, Shaygetz steps off of his trusty steed Meadow Muffin to save the day...balloon6

Sorry guys...hard week at the office...hamr

I would use a smooth pen barrel cut to length. I'd then scribe its sides vertically with the point of a knife deep enough to notice but not so as to weaken the tube. I wouldn't worry about wood grain on something so small, the paint should take care of that. Then I'd wrap it with a couple bands of fine wire. If the walls were too thick, I would place the point of an Xacto blade into the top and carefully ream it out 'til it appeared thin enough.

Canopus

Mar 16, 2006
Cornwall UK
shaygetz said:
announce1 As the "William Tell Overture" plays in the background, Shaygetz steps off of his trusty steed Meadow Muffin to save the day...balloon6

Sorry guys...hard week at the office...hamr

I would use a smooth pen barrel cut to length. I'd then scribe its sides vertically with the point of a knife deep enough to notice but not so as to weaken the tube. I wouldn't worry about wood grain on something so small, the paint should take care of that. Then I'd wrap it with a couple bands of fine wire. If the walls were too thick, I would place the point of an Xacto blade into the top and carefully ream it out 'til it appeared thin enough.

This sounds like a pretty good idea to me. If you wanted wood grain you could rough it up (in the direction of the grain of course) with some 50 grit sandpaper. Once painted in a base color (white), it can then be given a wash of (black) paint which will sink into the grain - wiped off with a cloth across the grain you're left with an aged wood effect.

MadModeler

May 20, 2006
LoudMusic said:
Wow, you're talking 1/4 of an inch diameter in HO scale. I foresee frustration in your future.

Or a lot of fun followed by satisfaction on an extremely difficult project well done. :thumb: sign1
Let us know how it turns out! :D