Chinese Mag-Lev

Discussion in 'The Real Thing- International' started by TinGoat, Jan 2, 2004.

1. TinGoat

TinGoat Ignorant know it all

The world's first magnetic levitation train for commercial use, the Maglev, runs though steam cloud Thursday, Jan. 1, 2004 at Pudong International Airport station in Shanghai, China. The Maglev which started its regular service Thursday runs between Longyang Road Station and Pudong International Airport at a speed of 430 kilometers (270 miles), an hour for about 7 min. 20 sec. (AP Photo/Eugene Hoshiko)

Attached Files:

2. TinGoat

Maglev

A speed meter board shows the current running speed of the world's first magnetic levitation train for commercial use, the Maglev, while drivers operate the train Thursday, Jan. 1, 2004 in Shanghai, China. The Maglev which started its regular service Thursday runs between Longyang Road Station and Pudong International Airport at a speed of 430 kilometers (270 miles), an hour for about 7 min. 20 sec. (AP Photo/Eugene Hoshiko)

Attached Files:

3. TinGoat

More Mag-Lev

A passenger walks near the world's first magnetic levitation train for commercial use, the Maglev, Thursday Jan. 1, 2004 in Shanghai, China. The Maglev which started its regular service Thursday runs between Longyang Road Station and Pudong International Airport at a speed of 430 kilometers (270 miles), an hour for about 7 min. 20 sec. (AP Photo/Eugene Hoshiko)

Attached Files:

4. belg

belg Member

I guess you dont get to enjoy the scenery too much at that speed. I think its great that technology can make something like this happen but hope they did a better job then they did with the one that goes to the NY airports! How many miles is it between the station and airport?

Pat
  5. interurban

interurban Active Member

WOW!!!!!!!

Hi Ron boy o boy you sure get around!!!!! You never told us you were off to Shanghai China, you could have looked up some friends of mine:D :D :D :D :D :D :D
    How did the ride feel???????
    :D :D :D :D :D :thumb:
    Kidding aside ( for a mo) nice shots and info.:D :D :D
  6. CN1

CN1 Active Member

Nice pics.

Congrats to China.:D

When is VIA Rail going to break 100MPH on regular schedule service:confused: :confused:
  7. TinGoat

I was just surfin'

when I found these pictures...

My ISP VIF mainpage always has a "News" picture posted on the right hand side...

If you click that picture, it brings you to a bunch more "news" related pictures.

That's where I found the mag-lev photos....

So, Sorry Chris, I didn't spend the holidays in the orient...

But I did ride the Mag-Lev at EXPO '86 in Vancouver B.C. It was so fast that it was disappointing that it was over so quickly. The ride is so smooth, that it doesn't even feel like you are moving...

As far as VIA reaching 100 mph on a regular schedule... ROFLOL!!!

I don't know what the distance is, but there are more pictures and information here...Railroadpix.com mag-lev information
  8. rcwatkins

rcwatkins Member

I saw that on a documentary they were doing on the Travel Channel.
  9. Pitchwife

Pitchwife Dreamer

If my math is correct (not a given :D ), station and airport are 33 miles apart. Not much scenery at 4.5 miles every minute. :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
  10. AIGI

AIGI Member

I think for what it's designed for, high speed rapid commuting, it's a technological marvel. We have to remember that trains in order to draw more passenger service to them, have to get the speed factor up to make them a viable alternative to airplanes for the average consumer. Although the maglev's intial run was capped at 430 KPH (but it can hit 500 KPM), which is half of what a standard airplane can do, that is a vast improvement to making a viable timely cross country passenger train. most people have the mentality of "get me there now and get me there fast", unfortunatly no one wants to ride a train for days when they can take a plane and get there in hours.

Here's another pic of it showing one of the amazing switches they have:
    [​IMG]
  11. Fred_M

Fred_M Guest

At the speeds they are running let's hope they didn't use any dollar store parts in it or splat. Also, anybody wonder why a chineese train has western writing on it? Or did they hire a western firm to build it for them? As to it competing with airplanes, notice it goes to the airport. FRED
  12. AIGI

AIGI Member

I it was A German built collaboration "Maglev technology was developed by the German companies Siemens AG and ThyssenKrupp, which also invested one billion dollars to build the Shanghai system, knowing that this could showcase their technology to bring more contracts from other Chinese cities as well as other countries."

And yes now it goes to the airport, but is intended to travel Shanghai to Hangzhou (200 Km trip), which presently takes 3 hours by car. And then there's the Shanghai-Beijing planned link up as well, it's obvious the chinese are trying to remove their planes (understandably) from the overall equation.

But i was speaking in terms of US practice, where rail travel needs to compete with air travel to be viablely profitable. so if (and it's a big if here) Amtrak were to build such a system, they would probably hub them to the major airports and out from there. would be an interesting sight to see though, a maglev cross country train ride.
  13. Fred_M

Fred_M Guest

So the Chineese got a western firm to build them a high tech train for a billion dollar discount? Wonder if they would do the same for AmTrac or VIA? Or even NYC? I smell bankruptcy for a certain German firm in the near future. And what do you mean about the Chineese wanting to "remove their planes (understandably) from the overall equation"? I don't follow that. FRED
  14. AIGI

AIGI Member

Well, first thier planes are not that well maintained, second their airports are more congested that Chicago's O'Hare, which is to be expected with over a billion people to move about and their roads are worse with the amount of traffic on them. So they really want a safer, more economical way to transport people throughout the country.

As for the two german companies, they donated 1 billion to the project, China paid for the rest of it. Unfortunatly china is also starting to design and build their own Maglevs (only up to 90 KPH right now) and may end up becoming the worlds supplier of maglev trains one day. So yes, i can see the end of the two german companies if China is successful in their endevours. Imagine an Amtrak or Via Maglev with a "Made in China" stamp on the bottom of it.
  15. rcwatkins

rcwatkins Member

Why do our engines gotta be made in China now? Don't they got different gauges than us and canada?
  16. 郑局西段

郑局西段 New Member

Actually the Mag--line is about 40kms,.At the beginning, the price of the ticket was 160RMB(double trips),and now the price reduced to 80RMB.
  17. CN1

CN1 Active Member

If you may…

I disagree!

China has it's own aircraft industry and China's aircraft are comparable (and in certain area better) then their western counterpart. China also builds aircraft under licenses and then improves the original design!

China's aircraft maintenance and aircrew training is on par with ICAO and western practices. China also operates a sizeable fleet of Bombardier regional jet, Airbus and Boeing aircraft.

For the next 10-20 years, the Chinese aircraft industries and air [passengers] services will outperformed and outgrowth any other in the world.

China's airports are as efficient as any others of similar size/frequency found in Europe.
    Chicago congestion is a typical North-American phenomenon of poor airport planning and management and inefficient ATC

China's lack of "interstate" highway is being work on, but they do have “paved roads” and highway systems. The greatest growth in the Car & Truck market is in...... China. Just ask the Chinese plant manager of China-Ford and China-GM.

China was the third country in the world to launch it's own rocket and astronauts in space and it will be the second country in the world to land astronauts on the moon.

China is not looking at replacing aircraft with Maglev trains, but to compliment the two for speedy and safe movements of people across the third largest [land-mass] country in the world.