Chicagoland Hobby Shops

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by railohio, Jun 22, 2006.

1. railohio

railohio Active Member

I'm looking for suggestions on Chicagoland hobby shops to visit this summer. I'm heading that way with some N scaling friends on a day trip and would enjoy some shopping out there. I guess the only catch is that they be accessible from downtown on Metra on a Saturday. That probably rules out a few shops on lines with weekday-only service. Any suggestions? Thanks for the help!

~Brian & Gang
  2. jetrock

jetrock Member

LaGrange Hobby is one block south of the Metra station in LaGrange. They have some neat stuff.

Hill's Hobby in Park Ridge has reduced their model railroad section but it is still worth a look, and about a block from the Park Ridge Metra station.

A2Z Hobbies in Elmhurst is small but has some good things--they recently (within the past few years, anyhow) split from being a big general hobby shop to being a big RC car/tank/boat hobby shop and a small model railroad shop.

If you can get a ride, check out Ram Trains, Golden Spike and Chicagoland Hobby, as well as Des Plaines Hobbies...not accessible via Metra, but all are worth a look in my opinion. Chicagoland and Des Plaines are big huge places with everything in them, Ram Trains and Golden Spike are small places so packed with stuff it's hard to fathom.

I don't live in Chicago but visit there every couple of years, to see family and raid the hobby shops...
  3. leghome

leghome Member

Brian who would be your N-scaling friends that are going to Chitown with you. I may wish to join you.
  4. Catt

Catt Guest

Yeah Brian,me too.:D
  5. railohio

railohio Active Member

Larry, Curly, and Moe. Well, one out of three ain't bad, is it? :D
  6. Catt

Catt Guest

And you are?? :D
  7. railohio

railohio Active Member

I'm still Brian. You all only asked who my N scale friends were, not who I was. :D
  8. sumpter250

sumpter250 multiscale modelbuilder

Of the shops already mentioned, Chicagoland Hobbies, on Northwest Highway, is on the same Metra line as Hill's hobbies in Park ridge. I usually drive to everything, so don't know what stop on Metra would be right for Chicagoland hobbies. Ron's Mundelein Hobbies would be accessible, if the North Central line ran more than mornings,and evenings on weekdays. When are you heading this way, and how many friends will be with you.
    Pete
  9. Catt

Catt Guest

Pete,the plan (at least for right now) is the tailend of August the last I heard.It will be on a saturday.
  10. railohio

railohio Active Member

As John said, there will be five of us in August.
  11. sumpter250

sumpter250 multiscale modelbuilder

Five. My '94 Shadow could squeeze four passengers, but not five. I could meet you at one of your stops, PM, or email me in advance, and I'll arrange to meet you.
    Pete
  12. leghome

leghome Member

There may only be four if my finances do not get straightened up. To many projects taking to much money.
  13. dwc13

dwc13 New Member

Try Grayland Station on Devon (at Caldwell). It's a block from the Edgebrook Metra Station (Milwaukee District North line). Check Metra's website (metrarail.com) for current schedules and fares. I bought several closeout Atlas R-T-R freight cars (HO), including undercorated versions, for $5 each. Got a very good deal on several Proto 2000 switchers, also.