Chicago & West Michigan Inspection Engine

marc gast

Nov 16, 2003
Grand Rapids, MI
hometown.aol.com
All,

Here are a couple of photos of the beginnings of a 1:24 scale major bash of a Kalamazoo 4-4-0 into Chicago & West Michigan's # 130 Haskell's Inspection engine. The inspection cab was added to the engine in 1896 at the Muskegon, MI engine shop. There is only one photo of this one-of-a-kind inspection engine; a shot from the right front angled to the right rear of the tender. There was an article printed in the july 19, 1896 Grand Rapids Herald which somewhat describes the engine. Soooooooooooooooo, this bash is going to be a real challenge. The Kalamazoo engine was stripped down to the shell, all cast domes, smoke stack removed, the boiler to be extended 10 mm to the rear, air cyliner added to the right side, updated Hartland cab and drivers. The valve gearing will be completely scratchbuilt as the Kazoo's is not prototypical of this engine. The inspection cab will be completely scratch built. This project has about 8 months into it and looks like another 2 or 3 (I do have a real job also). The engine is being built for a gentleman who is a member of the Grand Rapids Historical Society and also the Interurban Historical Society (several Grand Rapids & Muskegon interurban cars will be scracthbuilt in 1:32 scale within the next year for him). Well, enjoy or cry (I tried to convince him not bash a Kazoo, but, oh well).
Enjoy the next couple of photos.
Marc;) ;) ;)

Attachments

• the gauge xiv.jpg
    the gauge xiv.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 349

marc gast

Nov 16, 2003
Grand Rapids, MI
hometown.aol.com
Inspection Engine

Robin,

The rail maintenance crew and railheads would ride in the front cab for review of track, etc. There are 3 convexly curved windows in the front of the cab and can hold 6 people. One must have been very trusting of the engineer.

Thanks for viewing,

Marc:D

F

Fred_M

Looks like a Red Green streamliner.:D :D :D Can't wait to see it done. DASH

Bill Stone

Apr 20, 2001
San Dimas, California, USA
Visit site
That's a really interesting inspection engine. I've never seen one like it, and am looking forward to more photos. Most inspection engines of that period looked more like a coach body on top of the running boards and surrounding the boiler.

This one would certainly have the advantage of being a little away from all that boiler heat.

Good work.

BillS

krokodil

Nov 20, 2003
Austria
www.railfilm.net
Excellent model. Congratulation.

I have a question.

Some years ago I had a reprint of TRAINSHED. There was also a similar inspection engine (based on the same locomotive). The superstructure was combined from a coach and some local work (probably in a workshop). The front steps were turning from coach front door to the bottom, parallel with the track. Unfortunatelly I lost the magazine and since that time I cannot find anymore a new copy and finish my model.

I build a frame with the wheels and the model is running, but have no idea about the exact details from the locomotive body. If somebody can help I will appreciate.

Thanks

:)

Ray Marinaccio

Aug 4, 2003
Dewey Az.
Visit site
Krokodil,
The inspection engine you discribed sounds like P&LE #23 named Pittsburgh. Nicknamed Skidoo by the employees. It was converted from #96, an 1896 Pittsburgh locomotive works 4-4-0.
I have a photo of it in the book titled Pittsburgh and Lake Erie R. R. written by Harold H. McLean. I couldn't find a photo online to link to.
If I can get this scanner to work I'll post it.

marc gast

Nov 16, 2003
Grand Rapids, MI
hometown.aol.com
Hi all,

Sounds like there has been some interest in other engines!

Cool, Cool!

I found another photo of the C&WM that depicts the fireman's side of the engine. I've made progress on the model and fortunate not to have made too much progress as the new photo shows some new stuff.
Had fun scratchbuilding the bases for the steam and sand domes. Cutting PVC pipe to fit the proper diameter of the domes, then maticuloulsy sanding the PVC back and forth on a piece of sandpaper attached to the boiler. Each base took approximately 4 hours to complete. Sand a little, file a little, sand some more, check for levelness, sand a little more, etc. They really look good though. I'll attach some more photos later on in the week.

Marc

Hopefully, the engine will be completed for the Michigan Railroad Historical Convention in St. Ignas, MI.

krokodil

Nov 20, 2003
Austria
www.railfilm.net
Originally posted by Ray Marinaccio
I just found this.
NYNH&HRR Naugatuck #1.

[http://www.northeast.railfan.net/images/nynh1.jpg]

Hi Ray

thank you very much for your efforts and for the picture. This engine is very close but not the same, what I had before. On my locomotive the front steps were turned around a single axle (roundstairs).

Anyway if there will be no other reply I will try to build this one.

Thank you again.

krokodil

Nov 20, 2003
Austria
www.railfilm.net
Hi Ray

this looks like the same engine I strated to build many years ago. Thank you very much. If somebody can find some drawing to it I would appreciate the help.

(In that lost Trainshed there was a detailed description with many drawings - also sectional - and I think 2-3 pictures as well.)

Thank you for your help.