Check it out!!!

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
Thanks, Miles. I'm a big fan of reefers, too, although in my chosen era, the prototype roads around here both had reefers in that ubiquitous brown, just like boxcars.

This is a model of a CNR 8 hatch reefer with overhead ice bunkers, made from a modified Athearn reefer like those EG&E ones.
100_54982.JPG

Some years ago, when I back-dated my modelling era to the '30s, I sold off 11 EG&E 50' mechanical reefers in the same paint scheme. I still have a fleet of 16 of the forty-footers, with two being lettered for a private lessee, and one in service on cn nutbar's layout. Most of them are the Athearn car, with 5 of them the Train Miniature 40' plugdoor car. I hope to acquire a half dozen or so wooden reefers, either the old TM ones, or those offered by Accurail, although they'll get a different lettering scheme. The main problem with doing more steel reefers is the lack of suitable dry transfer lettering. The "EG&E, with a "dot" substituting for the ampersand, is from the old, large (and expensive) sheets from Letraset, no longer available in this font. It's amazing how many different letters can be altered to make "E"s and "G"s, but the ampersands were just too much trouble. The numbers on the sides are from Letraset Mini Packs, which I haven't seen for some time. Dimensional data is from C-D-S, still available, and the slogan and herald on the other end of the car is from my first set of custom lettering from C-D-S. All that's left from those 50 sheets is a bunch of the black slogans (the sheets consisted of slogans in black and white, enough to do one car in either colour, four large and two small heralds in white, and four large black circles for the herald backgrounds, for use on both reefers and some boxcars) . My next order of custom lettering from C-D-S was in all white, and consisted of the reporting marks and numbers in a couple of different sizes, plus large and small heralds, while a third order has smaller lettering and heralds, plus dimensional data, all in white.
I did do up a few reefers in this scheme, after I ran out of the black backgound circles, by painting the black background for the heralds and piecing together the rest of the lettering. All of these cars were repainted and relettered when I upgraded them with metal sill steps, wire grabirons and reworked roof hatches.
Anyway, the short answer, finally, :D is no lettering available for this scheme, other than the black slogan and dimensional data, and the white herald.
While I no longer model any of the actual trackage of the EG&E, most of the reefers in use on the Grand Valley are supplied by them, as they are the majority shareholder. I hope to include a produce warehouse in South Cayuga, with an orchard nearby, in order to utilize more reefers. The Niagara Peninsula, where I live, is often called the Fruit Belt, although some politically correct government type will probably alter that.:rolleyes: Still lots of orchards and vineyards around here, although the developers are rapidly gobbling up the land.

Wayne

cn nutbar

Dec 4, 2005
greetings all---whenever wayne starts backdating his collection,he always gives me a call.i'll bet 99% of my collection has come from wayne's world---here's a sampling of some of those acquisitions

ege006.jpg

ege004.jpg

ege003.jpg

sunday001.jpg

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Apr 14, 2006
Rancho Santa Margarita, Cali.
HOLY......jawdrop jawdrop THOSE BRIDGES ARE SO OUTSTOUNDING!!!:thumb: :thumb:

The windy road is sweet and I love the valley. Nice work on the bridges and the road.:thumb: :thumb: I cant wait to see the finished scene.

O and one more thing, HOW MUCH MORE ROOM DO YOU HAVE?? It seems that we keep seeing more and more new things on your layout.

I wish I could see your layout in person because it is truly the best work I have every seen. Keep up the great work Wayne :thumb: :thumb:

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
Thanks, Josh. There's not really much more layout to see: between those first two high bridges and the last one, there's a big loop of track connecting them, with a large drop on one side off the edge of the layout. The other side of the same track also has a large drop to the floor, as the hardshell scenery is not yet in place. I hope to find time this Fall to start working on the scene around the first two bridges, and of course, there's a whole second level of layout to be built just beyond the end of that last bridge. (That cutout in the backdrop, at the extreme right in the photo, just beneath the fire barrel platform, is part of the support for the upper benchwork.

Wayne

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Apr 14, 2006
Rancho Santa Margarita, Cali.
All I have to say is that you have truly outstounding and amazing work Wayne.:thumb: :thumb:

I can't wait to see what is next from you. I can't even image another level to your layout. From your work so far, the 2nd level will be another awsome display of your talent. I hope that some day I can make a layout half as good as yours is.

KEEP UP THE AWSOME WORK doctorwayne!!!!!!!!!!!!:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Now I no why you call your self a doctor.sign1 sign1

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
TruckLover said:
All I have to say is that you have truly outstounding and amazing work Wayne.:thumb: :thumb:

I can't wait to see what is next from you. I can't even image another level to your layout. From your work so far, the 2nd level will be another awsome display of your talent. I hope that some day I can make a layout half as good as yours is.

KEEP UP THE AWESOME WORK doctorwayne!!
Josh, VERY WELL WRITTEN!:thumb: , i TOTALLY AGREE:D , and could NOT, have said it ANY better;) . :D -Deano

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
My thanks to both of you, Dean and Josh, for the kind words. Here are a couple of views of part of the area where the second level will be installed. All have unfinished areas in the background.

This first shot is taken from the "end of track" after the last high bridge shown earlier. It's an overhead view of the unfinished town of Elfrida. In the background, on the extreme right, is a cutout in the backdrop to allow for installation of the upper benchwork.
100_57731.JPG

This is the same town, looking in the opposite direction, from a low angle. Another cut-out in the backdrop, and a bit of exposed benchwork just above the closest telegraph pole. That benchwork is supporting the "end of track" area following the high bridge.
100_5777.JPG

This last photo is taken from the opposite side of the aisle, and is a reverse view of the Lowbanks stockyards, featured elsewhere. The camera was placed right on the layout, in the stockyard's parking lot. In the background, you can see the same cut-out seen in the first photo. That grain elevator, the Hoffentoth's coal shed and icehouse seen in the background, along with the structures to the left of the water tower, are all in Elfrida, and most can be seen in the first photo. Part of the layout facia at Elfrida can also be seen just above the top rail of the stockpen enclosure.
100_57821.JPG

Wayne

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
Wayne, absolutely OUTSTANDING!!!:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :D i NEVER tire of seeing pics of YOUR AWESOME WORK, and layout;):D . THANK YOU for keeping us up to date on your plans:thumb:. i ANXIOUSLY await MORE pics!:thumb: THANKS, Wayne :D -Deano