Check it out!!!

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
While the Gauge is my preferred model railroading site, I recently found this on the new Model Railroader forum. I'm not sure if my "link" will work (many here are familiar with my computer "skills" :rolleyes: ), but I have to say that this is one of the most impressive displays of modelling that I've seen anywhere. Check it out and see if you agree, especially if you're a C&O fan. Just click on the phrase "Up the river and over the mountains", when you get to the site: the link works, as I've just tried it.

http://www.trains.com/mrr/default.aspx?c=a&id=514

Wayne

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
That is a phenominal layout - I remember reading it when the GMR issue came out (I think I might even have it at home). I also have plans for that huge coaling tower...

Thanks for the link (it worked well ;)).

Andrew

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
Wayne:wave:, THANKS for the link, i thought the layout was done NICE:thumb:...but HONESTLY, i wasn't as impressed with that layout as I AM with YOURS!:thumb:. DON'T GET ME WRONG, yes the guy can model, far better then I;)tooth1. HOWEVER, i like your water 100x better, your buildings have more detail, your grass and trees look more real, and the scenes on your layout, in my opinion, are much more detailed;). AGAIN, it IS a NICE layout, but all around, it pales compared to yours:thumb::D. THANKS!, -Deano

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
Thanks Dean, for your generous comments, but I remain impressed by this guy's work. There are some recognizable prototype scenes there that are very well done and I wish I could get him to make about 50 or 60 square feet of those background trees for a big naked spot on my layout. I think that I also have a soft spot for coal roads.
Thanks to you too, Relic, but that fantastic CN stuff actually belongs to cn nutbar, a good friend who often runs and photographs his trains on my layout.

Wayne

cn nutbar

Dec 4, 2005
#1 fan

hello all---hey deano,you're right on---for those of you have been following doctor wayne's threads i think we have come to appreciate that wayne has a gift when it comes to his modelling,not only his locomotives and rolling stock,but the outstanding scenery as well.for me,i am priveleged to be wayne's friend and to visit his home on a regular basis and also to be able to take pictures on his layout.as much as i appreciate other people's layouts for their own merits,there is no doubt in my mind who is numero uno

i am including some scenes from wayne's world for your consideration---enjoy !

2005035.jpg

21062006015.jpg

21062006119.jpg

21062006013.jpg

260406057.jpg

260406033.jpg

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
Your (unsolicited) comments are appreciated, my friend, but you certainly show things off to an advantage. I like your shot of the 4100 on the Chippawa Creek bridge: I don't recall seeing this one before.

Wayne

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
AHHH!, now THATS MODELING!:thumb:, THANKS nutbar, for posting those pics;). by posting those pics, you have cemented my comments earlier in this thread:thumb::D. BTW, NICE engines!;):D THANKS again nutbar:thumb: :D -Deano

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
doctorwayne said:
I wish I could get him to make about 50 or 60 square feet of those background trees for a big naked spot on my layout.

Are you talking about the trees on the steep hillsides? I agree that those are quite effective in giving the illusion of depth to a very shallow hill. There are a couple of Gauge members who have their own solutions to this kind of "arborial installation" ;) I'll have to dig up some links.

Andrew

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
cn nutbar said:
one more shot from wayne's layout---i'll bet there's even toilet paper in the outhouse

21062006001.jpg
Not a chance! That little structure which appears to be an outhouse is actually a pumphouse for the Lowbanks water tower. There's a sign posted on the door (on the other side, away from the camera) to indicate its true purpose. Surprisingly, this area has indoor plumbing, albeit connected to a septic system, the tile bed of which, not surprisingly, drains into the Maitland River. This, coupled with the run-off from the stockyards across the tracks makes it a wonder that there are so many fish surviving in those murky waters.
Andrew, the area that I need forested is actually fairly deep, but the bare hillsides look more like the Selkirks than the rolling woodlands around the Niagara Escarpment. I not only need to cover them, but also to "tone" them down a bit. Here are a couple of shots of the area around the Speed River bridges: the lower bridge is Erie Northshore track, heading east towards Elfrida and Lowbanks, while the high bridge belongs to the Grand Valley, and is headed north to Park Head and the as-yet-to-be-built second level.

100_5755.jpg

100_5651.jpg

Wayne

cn nutbar

Dec 4, 2005
hi doc---sorry for mistaking the pump house for an outhouse :eek:ops:--- i thought i would add a little extra to your barren hills besides trees

21062006025.jpg

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Wayne...

How much more of this layout is there...!?!? :eek: Looks great. It is a very interesting change in topoggraphy you have there with the large "mountain" and tunnel. I don't know where you might find the equivalent in southern Ontario...?

The only thing that comes to mind is the Five (?) Mile Creek in Oakville. There is a huge stone and steel trestle that crosses way above the creek. Here's the link to Google Maps for that location near Bronte Road and Speers Road in Oakville West.

Andrew

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
Thanks, Andrew. The scenery, as such:rolleyes: , has been in place as long as that anywhere else on the layout: I just haven't had the time to finish it. Actually, the scene is meant to be a combination of my interpretations of several prototype scenes. There are quite a few relatively high railroad bridges around here: a good nearby example is the CNR bridge over the Twenty Mile Creek, near Jordan Station, but there are others. The one at Paris, Ontario, over the Grand River or another over the same river at Cayuga spring to mind. The latter, now out of service, was the inspiration for the lower bridge in the photo, although no attempt was made to duplicate the prototype. The upper bridge was probably influenced by the Paris bridge, but was more my response to overcoming the geographical obstacle that I created when I opted to make the climb to the second level of the layout a visible one, rather than a hidden helix. As for my "mountain range", my hope is to make it appear, when fully sceniced, similar to the view of the Niagara Escarpment as seen from the shore of Lake Ontario (or like what you'd see if you looked to your left if you were riding an Amtrak or VIA train to Trawna [Toronto, for all of you not from these parts] from Niagara Falls.) The plasterwork to the right in the second photo scales out to about 250' above the riverbed, well within the height of the real thing, and I hope that the addition of trees will "soften" its craggy appearance. Another thing I hope to accomplish with the finished scenery is to disguise the exagerrated appearance of the grades, as the lower one dropping in such close proximity to the rising upper one makes both appear even steeper than they are. The lower track drops at a fairly steady 2.5%, while the upper rises at about 2.8%, with a short section just before the lower end of the bridge even greater than that. While both grades are a real test for locomotives, that short "extra-steep" section quickly lets an operator know if he's got enough power to conquer the entire grade, which is laid out around two complete horseshoe curves, the first of which is on the high bridge in these photos. Total length of the climb is in excess of 45'.
I hope to finish my time-consuming home renovation project before fall, so that I can get out and start collecting weeds and such for some sustained tree-making projects.
Here are a couple of views of another bridge near the top of the long grade: this one is laid out on a very wide-radius "S" bend.

Looking south
100_5763.JPG

Looking north
100_5665.JPG

Wayne

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
I forgot about the Grand River bridge in Paris - quite spectacular! I think I have been over the road equivalent once on the way to Woodstock.

It would be interesting to model some of your steeper "hillsides" as the Niagara Escarpment. When I was growing up, my family had a membership in the Bruce Trail. We often went hiking in and around Hamilton - Halton - up through Belfountain and Mono Mills up to Tobermory. I have been living in Eastern Ontario so long that I forgot the rest of Ontario is not as flat...!

Andrew

LoudMusic

Jul 21, 2006
This image begs a question I regularly received when I used to have guests to my layout, "Why are all your box cars brown?". Standard answer, "... because ... they really are."

21062006119.jpg

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
Well, in my era, the '30s, most of them were brown. However, there must've been some exceptions. Many railroads ran express boxcars, often painted to match their passenger trains:
100_56112.JPG

And in a later era, the '50s, some of them got jazzed -up a bit:
100_56222.JPG

In the '50s, even some of those brown freight boxcars got a new image:
100_54753.JPG

If your visitors require more colourful trains, maybe you need to run more reefers.
100_54052.JPG

Wayne

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
NICE pics, Wayne!!:thumb: and truly OUTSTANDING WORK!!;) :thumb: :thumb: :D THANKS Wayne! :D -Deano

MilesWestern

Sep 20, 2005
CA
protopaintwest.googlepages.com
I agree about the reefer trains Wayne, I gotta say, I love them! That's why my layout's operation centers around the citrus-packing industry! :) Can you send me an EG&E reefer please?? I have $$! :) (hopefully awaiting decision)

Maybe a car-pooling trade? I model the 1950's, with many cars from earlier eras..how 'bout it.?