Cheap place to buy Digitrax Zephyr

prodigy2k7

Dec 17, 2006
Ive been looking around and these are the few places that I found...
Does anyone know how expensive the zephyr is at LHS?
-OR-
Does anyone know other websites that are reliable that is pretty cheap?

$168 on e-bay
$160 on loystoys.com (found on google, i dont know if its reliable)
$159.99 on modeltrainstuff.com
$152.99 on internettrains.com (found on google, i dont know if its reliable)
??? at LHS?

NYNH&H

Dec 11, 2006
Tonys had it on sale for $150, not sure if that is still the case. I buy from Tony's, as the support is good, and if something isn't working, I just call them up, and they usually know the answer.

CRed

Dec 10, 2006
Duluth,MN
I was thinking about getting one,but it has only 10 functions so I'm getting a MRC Prodigy Express.I found it for $95 online and it does 16 functions which is plenty for me.The Zephyr is more powerful though so you could probably control more trains with it then with the MRC.

Chris

NYNH&H

Dec 11, 2006
Digitrax does twelve on the DT400 or UT4 throttles, which can be added to the Zephyr. Not that I can figure out how to use more than 9 but you really don't need more than 8. I can only figure out what about 4 of them are anyways. :D

nhguy

May 14, 2003
Sugar City,Colorado
rides.webshots.com
Have you looked at a NCE PowerCab? This is a introductory, full featured DCC system for around $139.00 in most places. It is a stand alone system DCC system that can be expanded and used with the full featured Power Pro 5 amp system. IT has all the features if the full system except in smaller quantaties. For example it has consisting addresses just not as many slots as the full system. It will run and "PROGRAM" QSI, Sountraxx and other SOUND equipped locos without the power boosters needed with the other systems. Might want to take a look.

http://www.ncedcc.com/ncetest/nce2.htm

Just a thought.

NYNH&H

Dec 11, 2006
nhguy said:
Have you looked at a NCE PowerCab? This is a introductory, full featured DCC system for around $139.00 in most places. It is a stand alone system DCC system that can be expanded and used with the full featured Power Pro 5 amp system. IT has all the features if the full system except in smaller quantaties. For example it has consisting addresses just not as many slots as the full system. It will run and "PROGRAM" QSI, Sountraxx and other SOUND equipped locos without the power boosters needed with the other systems. Might want to take a look.

http://www.ncedcc.com/ncetest/nce2.htm

Just a thought.

NCE's system does not use a true network like Digitrax's, so it is not as upgradeable. Their wireless is more expensive, and doesn't have the range, and the Powercab can only have one more thorttle added before you have to buy MORE expensive stuff. Digitrax's Zephyr is a more expandable system, and can suit a wider range of users. I have a Zephyr, and it is AWESOME!

pgandw

Jul 9, 2005
NYNH&H said:
NCE's system does not use a true network like Digitrax's, so it is not as upgradeable. Their wireless is more expensive, and doesn't have the range, and the Powercab can only have one more thorttle added before you have to buy MORE expensive stuff. Digitrax's Zephyr is a more expandable system, and can suit a wider range of users. I have a Zephyr, and it is AWESOME!

Please, let's try to be a little more accurate about justifying our own particular choices.

- Digitrax uses a peer network; NCE, CVP, and Lenz use polled networks. For the model railroading application, either type network has plenty of capacity. I've never heard of any of the major DCC systems running out of network capacity on even the largest club railroads. A polled network can be simpler and less expensive to implement. Capacity is determined by the size of the network controller in a polled network. In a peer network, network congestion determines capacity. With NCE's newest Smart Booster, there is probably more of a peer element than NCE's previous products.

- NCE's wireless is duplex; Digitrax's is simplex. This means that the Digitrax system issues commands from the wireless controller, but cannot read the status of the commands or anything else. The Digitrax wireless units must be plugged in to dispatch or acquire a locomoitve; NCE can do this wirelessly. Earlier NCE wireless units had range issues, this has been resolved in the latest production.

- Expandability in general is meaningless. The real question is how much does it cost to implement the particular features I want for my DCC situation. You need to do a proper cost comparison for a given feature set. But some features or restrictions are exclusive to particular brands. These are important to know because one of these can be a deal breaker for a particular individual. For instance, if I want signaling or transponding built-into my DCC, those features are only available from Digitrax. If I want to be able to switch locomotives on my wireless without plugging in - that feature is only available from NCE (perhaps others, but not Digitrax). Until MRC just announced the availability of wireless and a computer interface on the Prodigy Advance, those were deal breakers for many folks for the Prodigy systems.

Each of us wants to believe we made the best decision. But what's best for one is not always best for others. And this is from a person who is leaning to Digitrax Zephyr, but who doesn't care for the Zephyr form factor, and the limitations of Digitrax wireless. Digitrax DCC is the standard for Freemo and most of the HOn3 module standards I'm familiar with.

my thoughts, your choices