Cheap lumber loads.

SD90

May 23, 2003
Canada
Visit site
I got an idea while looking around at Michael's today. I got some balsa wood and made a few lumber loads for my center beam flat cars. Eventually, I'll take a picture of the wrapping used on the real car loads, and print it out, then paste it on these loads. The dimensions of the loads are, 1/4" wide, 21mm high and 138mm long. The short loads are 15mm high. What do you think? They are cheaprer than the commercial loads, and I'm sure they will look better once the paper is on them.

Attachments

• June 9 001.jpg
    June 9 001.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 605

NSCALEMIKE

Dec 5, 2001
Henderson, NV
Visit site
I bought some pre-made loads, from someone on the Yahoo forum...a year or so ago..using the same technique I think...see what you guys think...

aeo.jpg

SD90

May 23, 2003
Canada
Visit site
NSCALEMIKE said:
I bought some pre-made loads, from someone on the Yahoo forum...a year or so ago..using the same technique I think...see what you guys think...

aeo.jpg

That looks great! Can anyone post the file you used to print them? Someone told me there is a place on the internet you can download them, I just haven't been able to find it.

MagicMan_841

May 10, 2003
Quebec City, Qc
www23.brinkster.com
I have made several templates for loads on RC 75' Cars if anyone wants them... They are of canadian companies... So far I have Uniforêt, Tembec, CanFor, Kruger and Domtar. I might make a tutorial on how I made my loads. I basically use 1/8" basswood and paper. I cut two pieces of basswood to the same size and then glue them back to back to have a 1/4" piece which perfectly fits inside the cars. I then use the wood piece to cut my pre-printed template and then glue the paper to the wood. I use white glue from LePage for all gluing of wood to wood and wood to paper and it works great -- JUST DON'T PUT TOO MUCH! I then use a pencil to mark the different stacks of lumber and then use a X-Acto knife to scribe the lines I just made. While the scribed marks are subtle they add dimension to the otherwise very 2D looking load. Hmmm... That'd be better with pics.

Oh and thanks to Mike for the inspiration!

SD90

May 23, 2003
Canada
Visit site
MagicMan_841 said:
Here they are. Logos used without permission, thanks. Use these for your personal use.

I just printed some of those loads out, they look great, but I'm having trouble finding a size to print them that fits the cars. What did you do?

MagicMan_841

May 10, 2003
Quebec City, Qc
www23.brinkster.com
well I drew the loads so that they fit after being printed at 100% size... They are actual size. The thing you need to figure out is where to cut them!!! I cut right below the printings and figure out the size of the white space that folds around the top of the load. Then I cut over that white space. The loads I made are for a full load... partial loads will require cutting at different places...easy enough to figure out.

Hope this helps !
contact me privately if you need more help... it's been a while since I've made loads but I'll do my best.