Cheap lights for structures

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Here is a suggestion based on a gift I received at Christmas. Relatively cheap lights can be had from www.leevalley.com . They are available in a variety of formats, including Christmas colours, as well as the white lights.

Andrew

Attachments

• lights 01.jpg
    lights 01.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 269

belg

Whats the wattage? and if need be you could replace the batteries with a 3 volt transformer.Cost?

jon-monon

Looks like ones I got at menards after Christmas. They should run on 3 V AC or DC. Light bulbs don't care. You might even want to lower the voltage for dimmer lighting. I don't recall the price, except they were cheap :D

guppyman

I have a very similar unit I bought at the $1 store. I got it last year and haven't done anything with it yet. I thought about picking up a few more this year, but forgot to run back by before Christmas was done with.

RailRon

The day before Sylvester I was lucky to get a set of Christmas light-chains, complete with a small AC transformer unit (24 V / 20 Watts).

There are 80 bulbs in the two chains, very neatly packed, plus 8 replacement bulbs, each rated at 2.5 V and 100 mA. This is ideal for lighting structures - I think I'll have bulbs enough for more than one layout.
And the AC adapter will be installed as the power source for my capacitor discharge unit for the staging yard turnouts.

Oh - and the price? 20 Swiss Francs, that's about $15. If I don't count the AC adapter at all, one bulb costs me about 17 cents! (My LHS sells the same bulbs for more than $1.50 apiece! :eek: ) Now that's a bargain! :thumb:

Perhaps you are still able to get some light chains in a store... Good luck! :) :) :)

Ron

Attachments

• minibulbs4.jpg
    minibulbs4.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 238

spitfire

Cool

Andrew, thanks for the great tip! Those lights are just what I've been looking for and the fact that each one comes on it's own 36" length of wire is perfect! Time for another trip to Lee Valley - I love that place!!!!

Val