cheap easy weathering!

Discussion in 'HO Scale Model Trains' started by chipmonk, May 16, 2004.

1. chipmonk

chipmonk Member

ive been floating around this forum for a while and i decided i should give back a little so...anyway ive been playing around with different ways to weather rolling stock, tried airbrushing, washes, attempts as dry brushing with polyscale and floquil paints with limited success and ease, so after reading a few aricles i realized a few things for dry brushing the best brush to use is a hog hair brush(very cheep stiff brush usually, with bristles in a round shape rather then flat) and that for dry brushing and other weathering techniques $.89 a bottle craft paints can not only work but WORK BETTER! heres a pic of a car i weathered using 89 cent a bottle creamracoat(not sure on the speelling) craft paints and drybrushing! this is one of the first weathering jobs ive been fully satisfied with. any comments suggestions or added advice is welcome. hope this helps someone out.
    :wave:
    Chris

Attached Files:

2. coachsig

coachsig Member

Chris,

Are you sure that the .89 paint wasn't camouflage paint??? :) :oops: :thumb: :wave: Try again, I'm anxious to see the results!

Coachsig
  3. Fred_M

Fred_M Guest

Hey, it's what I have been using for years. You box looks great. Here's another thing to try, get burnt umber and a light tan such as wood or flesh. Put a squirt of each on a pallet. Mix the colors together by dipping you brush in one then the other one brush load at a time and you get a nice color that looks like rusty trucks. Using two piles gives you variation from brushload to brushload. Here's an example. Try it and show me what you get. :thumb: :D FRED

Attached Files:

4. chipmonk

chipmonk Member

fred i have used the technique you descibed on the trucks and wheels of this car(not a great photo) mixing browns and reds but the tan color looks like it adds another whole set of dusty rusty shades ill have to get some!

thanks for the advice and feedback!
    Chris
  5. Fred_M

Fred_M Guest

Yeah, I found the tan is the secret ingredient. Rust is rarely red like (for some reason) we think it is. Most rust is that mix I gave you. You can also mix in some light grays for variations. BTW, the even cheaper brand Americana at wally world works just as well and mixes with other brands. Last I bought was .49 a bottle. FRED
  6. interurban

interurban Active Member

Very intresting!!

Thanks for the tips guys I still have to play about with this. :thumb:
    Nice stuff Chris and Fred
  7. mad scientist

mad scientist New Member

Idea!!

Have you ever tried to buy "rust" colored paint and use it on your trains? It works quite well!:thumb:
  8. Fred_M

Fred_M Guest

Welcome to the gauge mad scientist. IMHO rust colored paint (testors) is too red out of the bottle and is too uniform in color. Real rust varies in color as to what it forms on (cast v steel), and if it's wet,dry,or oily. Give the acrylic method a try, I'll think you will like it. :thumb: FRED
  9. shamus

shamus Registered Member

For those who have not tried it, "Patina Rust" is a 2 bottle set which allows you to put as much rust on a project as you require. This website -------------------
    http://www.metalpaint.net/
    Will show you just what products they do for model railroaders.
    Here's a quote from the site.

IXI® 2 IN 1 Activator™ To add real Verdigris or Rust. Corrodes the surface of Copper, Brass, Bronze and Nickel Brass METALcoat™ to give a genuine verdigris finish in minutes. The gleam of real metal showing through the mottled greens and turquoise gives the most realistic verdigris effect imaginable. When applied to Iron, METALcoat™ produces a real rust surface.Also works on METALcoat lite™ to produce an economical rust or verdigris finish.

Also works on plastic models, I use it myself.
    Shamus
    [​IMG]
  10. Fred_M

Fred_M Guest

Thanks Shamus, I sent them an email to see if there is a USA reseller we could purchase direct from. I will post their reply. FRED
  11. mad scientist

mad scientist New Member

Thanks very much Fred. I'll be sure to give it a try. I just started and I am looking for ideas to moke my layout more realistic.:thumb: :) MATT
  12. Fred_M

Fred_M Guest

That's what we are here for. Looking forward to some pictures! FRED
  13. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

Welcome to the Gauge Mad Scientist...I recently started using those cheap acrylic paints myself after using Floquil and Testor's for years. You did a great job, Chris. I myself finish the weathering off with a coat of Testor's Dulcote to save wear. Keep it up :thumb: :thumb:

Attached Files:

14. mad scientist

mad scientist New Member

question

What is the best brand of trains? Life Like, Walthers, or any other brands. I personally I like walthers (quiet and 8 wheel drive).:cool:
  15. Fred_M

Fred_M Guest

I have no brand preference. I have and have had lots of brands. I like what I own at the min. :) I have one of those dash8 Walthers and I love it, it's quiet, smooth, and very powerful but a little slow in the top end. I have some Proto 2000 which are great. I have some Atherns I like, and some I don't like. I have some toy locos that I like to look at (like that old RS2 above), but don't run for hoot. Man, all the better quality locos have advantages and disadvantages. It's can be a Ford v Chey thing and get out of hand real quick. I like Broadway Big Boys but can only dream of owning one :cry: . Here's a bargin I found this weed at the bargin bin at the LHS for $2. It's an old Mantua that still had the Lima couplers on it. I mounted some offset Kadees and weathered it using 3 colors of acrylic, burnt sienna, sandstone, and charcoal. FRED PS SHAY, that's a great and real looking scene. Them pallets look simply marvolus as does your hopper. :thumb:

Attached Files:

• mkt.jpg
      mkt.jpg
      File size:
      38.4 KB
      Views:
  16. mad scientist

mad scientist New Member

How long have you modeled railroads?
  17. Fred_M

Fred_M Guest

Me? HO for 5 years. Did N for about 10 years when I was a kid, in between I built street machines and rods for a hobby. I relatively a newbie and still learning from some of the wonderful craftsman we have here on the gauge. They have taught me a lot since I first found this site about 8 months ago. They are great people who are not stingy with their kung fu. FRED
  18. jmarksbery

jmarksbery Active Member

:wave: Hey mad, welcome to The-Gauge. Another Kentuckian, what part are you from? Your gonna luv it here, a super bunch of people. :thumb: :thumb:
  19. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

Thank you, Fred. The scene is my backshop diorama that I use to display items I sell on Ebay and projects I've posted in the past on The Gauge. I just got one of them 'round tuits to help me finish off the landscaping. The hopper is a stock Athearn product purchased in an Ebay box lot. Ah, those pallets, I do love them and bought every pack I could get aholt of from the clearance box at my local LHS. I can't remember who makes them or if they are even made anymore.

Mad, you'll eventually find a preference, just stay away from the really low end toy stuff. Most everything I own covers the spectrum of what's available out there. Buy it because you want it, get a good box lot to experiment with and remember that every mistake is a rustic scenic element in the making. :)
  20. mad scientist

mad scientist New Member

Where I'm from

;) Hey I'm from Owensboro? Where are you from?