Chat

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Dec 20, 2000
South Eastern, PA
mywebpages.comcast.net
Marklin Ferris Wheel

I originally posted this for the chat room. It is a Marklin Ferris Wheel HO railway. The Wheel turns and the Train at the bottom "seems to stay in one place" while the wheel, with the track attached, rotates under it. Pretty neat eh?? A real space saving Railroad. :) :) :)

I took the picture at the Toy Train Museum in Strasburg, PA. The TCA "Headquarters"..

Attachments

• tcaferrissm.jpg
    tcaferrissm.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 126
  • tcaferrissm.jpg
    tcaferrissm.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 127

RailRon

Nov 23, 2002
Trimbach, Switzerland
Mikey, is this H0 scale or Z? (Being Märklin it can't be N) And what's the diameter of the whole thing?

The Ferris wheel looks like the Märklin version of a Meccano constructing kit. Must be quite old then...

Ron

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Dec 20, 2000
South Eastern, PA
mywebpages.comcast.net
Originally posted by RailRon
Mikey, is this H0 scale or Z? (Being Märklin it can't be N) And what's the diameter of the whole thing?

The Ferris wheel looks like the Märklin version of a Meccano constructing kit. Must be quite old then...

Ron

Yeah, somebody asked that in the chat room yeaterday :) It's HO & I'm not sure about Meccano... It looks like an "Erector set" type thing though.. It's about 36" diameter...

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Dec 28, 2000
Georgetown, Ontario,Canada
Erector sets are US made while Meccano is Brit made. Looking at it it does look like Meccano and Meccano modellers were/are very creative as to what they make out of that wonderful sets I was lucky enough to have a size 10 Meccano set years ago.

RailRon

Nov 23, 2002
Trimbach, Switzerland
As a youngster of about 10-13 years I invested most of my pocket money in Meccano parts. I built cranes which were higher than I, trucks with 4-speed gearboxes etc etc. And of course crossing gates and other accessories for my windup Hornby train. (Wish I still had that stuff - sigh! :( )

Robin is right, and here in Continental Europa we also had Meccano. On the other side you could buy 'Mignon', a French version (all dimensions - holes, screws - were smaller), 'Stokys' sets were made in Switzerland - and yes, there were also Märklin constructor sets.

The longer I look at that picture and the color of the parts, the more I think it must be original Märklin. In this case it must be a collector's piece today!

Ron